WTF do I do?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
LoveBullies
Matured Bully

WTF do I do?

Postby LoveBullies » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 am

I have always been able to make the proper decision regarding my dogs, and my son, my life and career, everything.... But I'm EFFIN' torn....

Some of you have followed me on my posts, of Blue and Gator..... If you haven't here ya go... short version...

Gator bit my son, he's going to be neutered and I've contacted a behavioralist for examination.

Blue was one of my fosters, that was returned the rescue I used to volunteer for that did not and "could" not take him back in, so I took him in.

My heart is torn for both, since Blue is sooo comfortable in our pittie home, he loves it there, and I don't want to him to get tossed around again, scared of what might happen next to him.

But my heart is focused on Gator because of his aggression issue when he is only 5 months old, he did bite my son, in the face, and I know what I would have to do if things did not get better.

We now have 5 dogs, My 4 pitties and Jason's Pomerainian. (how ever you spell that)...... Finanical ability is no issue, time is no issue. I'm very scared to let go of Blue, as he came back to me disgusting, and I'm worried about Gator.

AHHH, a person takes one step forward and 2 steps back... I swear!

All criticism and sarcasm, and opinions are welcome as usual. No holds bar here.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Attack/Bite my son ... get put down . < period
Blue ... your choice. If you let him go, screen well.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 pm

I would absolutely consulting with a qualified behaviorist before making decisions about ending your dog's life.

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 pm

I hadn't been following your issues with Gator and was going to put my ideas down then decided to go back and read your issues with Gator.

First - never put a dog in a crate as punishment. Gator needs to be separated from your son and other dogs in the house until he can be completely assessed by a qualified behaviorist.

Second - put Gator on strict NILIF - no privileges whatsoever. Basically put him in a shut down as if he was a new dog coming in to the house.

As far as the roommate - could the roommate be doing something to Gator when you aren't around.

Again STRICT NILIF - absolutely no priveleges whatsoever for Gator or any dogs in the house - will help to also keep pack order. Get some baby gates and keep your son and Gator separated at all times. No couch time especially. Gator feels like you are the valuable resource in his life and is guarding you from your son.

I was originally going to say for you to keep Blue but after reading your issues with Gator, the best thing for Blue would be to find him another home.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:54 pm

In reference to the euthaniza, I will only do that if that is MY COMPLETE last resort for him and there is no turning back.

We've been trying new techniques and other things that I've read here on the site like NILIF. Specially after the couch incident, I felt like such a moron. I'm so used to letting them be them. I need to get my own self, in "new dog in the house" mode again.

I'm not worried about the roommate, if I had any slight incling, he'd be gone in a heart beat.

See that is why I am torn with Blue, so I've re-listed him and another pitty rescue from PBF offered to put him up on there listing for me also, to help find him a home. I hate to part with him. But Gator is my gator bait, and my son is my life. I hate think I did something wrong with bringing up Gator since my other 2 (abbey and King) are like perfect angels other than the occassional seperation anxiety Abbey has. We exercise, we play, I just hate to think I did something wrong, and I hate to think there is something wrong with him.

As for the behaviorlist, I did find one locally, who I did like, until I asked the opinions of others on PBF, and with warning, I decided not to use her. I've tried contacting another behavioralist in the area that works with several around the county shelters who I've heard great things about he also does the Cell Dog program in our county.

tbluverjumper
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tbluverjumper » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Honestly, if Blue can be placed in a good home (with proper screening ect.) then i'd say place him and keep up with him through updates. Take your time. 5 dogs is a lot to deal with and Gator will be taking a lot of your time as well as your son.

Keeping your son and Gator separated is imperative. Don't beat yourself up on the mistakes you've made, just work to correct them. It is easy to slip into the routine of just letting dogs be dogs and forget that they do need structure, I catch myself doing it sometimes. Focus on having Gator evaluated and make your decision from there, 5 months is pretty young to be biting but there were a lot of variables in the situation that could have provoked it. I for one applaud you for taking the time to truly understand the situation and looking at it from all angles, and taking responsibility for it and not just "putting him down." Good luck with everything.

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 pm

tbluverjumper wrote:Honestly, if Blue can be placed in a good home (with proper screening ect.) then i'd say place him and keep up with him through updates. Take your time. 5 dogs is a lot to deal with and Gator will be taking a lot of your time as well as your son.

Keeping your son and Gator separated is imperative. Don't beat yourself up on the mistakes you've made, just work to correct them. It is easy to slip into the routine of just letting dogs be dogs and forget that they do need structure, I catch myself doing it sometimes. Focus on having Gator evaluated and make your decision from there, 5 months is pretty young to be biting but there were a lot of variables in the situation that could have provoked it. I for one applaud you for taking the time to truly understand the situation and looking at it from all angles, and taking responsibility for it and not just "putting him down." Good luck with everything.

Well said :thumbsup:

jcullen24
Newborn Bully

Postby jcullen24 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:26 am

Ok hold on.

The Pups what 5mos old and bit. There's no reason to put the dog down. It shouldn't be in the same home as a toddler, but in a home with an owner that is firm and has a strong hand.

Jim

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:14 am

No luck on a home for Blue yet, we get a lot of calls and no-shows....

egghead
Adolescent Bully

Postby egghead » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 am

Make sure the dog gets a clean bill of health
Get a behaviorist and then take it from there. The best of luck!

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 am

jcullen24 wrote:Ok hold on.

The Pups what 5mos old and bit. There's no reason to put the dog down. It shouldn't be in the same home as a toddler, but in a home with an owner that is firm and has a strong hand.

Jim

what do you classify as a firm strong hand? My other pits grew with my toddler, one of which has been there since he was born. He will be evaluated by behaviorist, and if there is no turn around and nothing we can do, my stand on euthanizing him will stand firm, unless a family arrises that has no kids and no future of kids and knows the breed. Which is extremely hard to find.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:09 am

Would you mind my asking what behaviorist you are planning on taking him to?

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:13 am

The main thread on Gator is http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=116353

I had just started this thread in MISC, because I was torn over Blue, but after a lot of consideration, and trying to find him a home. I may return him back to the resuce I volunteered for, even though I don't want too.... Most are right and I know it, I need more time and efforts on Gator, and take another stresser out of the house on him.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:18 pm

JoeBingo wrote:Attack/Bite my son ... get put down . < period
Blue ... your choice. If you let him go, screen well.

x20000

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 pm

BLUE GOT ADOPTED TONIGHT :peace:

Return to “Training and Behavior”