WTF do I do?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
4her
Matured Bully

Re: WTF do I do?

Postby 4her » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:11 pm

msvette2u wrote:
LoveBullies wrote:All criticism and sarcasm, and opinions are welcome as usual. No holds bar here.

:thumbsup:

I'm also getting tired of the accusations and implications here - just because some of us have not been to classes does not mean we are not educated on dog behavior and training aspects.

I'd like to think I know a bit about dogs and how they respond to their environments, since we've rehomed close to 300 in this past 2.5 years.

Until you have toddlers and kids in the home, your perspective WILL tend to be "dog first, regardless, you made a commitment, blahblahblah", well, put a 2yr. old toddling around and it changes perspectives quickly.
We, for instance, will not tolerate biters in our own rescue for the kids' sake as much as the publics. It's one thing for YOU to get bitten or snapped at - another entirely if one of your own kids gets injured.

I admit I'm a little lost with this particular situation, first the dog was a foster, than a permanent member of the home, then a foster, etc.
I can't recall and I can't find all the threads discussing him anymore :dunno:

xs a trillion.. Im surrounded by dogs as I work at a vet clinic.. I know a bit but by no means am I professional at behaivor but most is common sense.. biter=pts.. especially with kids..

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Good Luck with Gator

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Thank you all for overly kind words of wisdom and gestures. They are greatly appreciated, specially those who weren't so quick to judge a APBT as everyone in the press does.

Don't confuse me with a person who is not taking the time or effort let alone money to see if something is fixable, this is a 50/50 shot that he is, or isn't fixable. But it is well worth it. That is my dedication to my dogs, I am not just going to let this go, that is how they end up on the news... If he isn't fixable, then your wishes will be granted with PTS. But that is by my own decision also, if he is a "dangerous" dog, he will not be rehomed.

The Mods can lock this thread, as it seems to be more of a presidental debate then it seems to be of any knowledgable advice.

JurisMyDiction
Super Bully

Re: WTF do I do?

Postby JurisMyDiction » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:10 am

msvette2u wrote:
I admit I'm a little lost with this particular situation, first the dog was a foster, than a permanent member of the home, then a foster, etc.
I can't recall and I can't find all the threads discussing him anymore :dunno:

i think there were 2 separate dogs she was talking about. on of which was adopted on the end of page... 1 or 2, of this thread, i don't remember.

to be honest, i don't have any children and my dog has never even had an encounter with a child (besides once where he accidentally knocked the kid over trying to get to me), i don't know how he'd react, and if this happened to me, i don't know what I would do. i'm sorry i can't be helpful so but all i can offer is good luck with whichever avenue you choose.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 am

LoveBullies wrote:If he isn't fixable, then your wishes will be granted with PTS.

You know, I find this comment is rather strange...do you think people who've recommended PTS do so because we like to think of dogs dying?

I would only entertain that idea if a child is at risk for being bitten or even killed by the dog in question.
Obviously you have to do what's best for your situation.

I, and others, have tried to give other perspectives such as other instances where a person's choice went horribly awry to the detriment of their home situation.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Good luck with your pup. I hope that this is fixable and he finds some stability with all the help you are willing to provide for him.

4her
Matured Bully

Postby 4her » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:07 pm

"our wishes" huh?

Thats a bit out of context.....dontcha think?

Here is some future advise though, if you dont like what people have to say, dont post personal issuies.. and certainly dont ask us for OUR opinions..."good, or bad"!

mamapit311
Newborn Bully

Postby mamapit311 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:59 pm

I hate rhat it happened to your Son.What if it was a neighbors kid? I would not want to be sued.

ColbyDogs
Bully Ambassador

Postby ColbyDogs » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:04 am

For me a 5 month old pup is worth working on, damn things still have mush for brains at that age and still need to learn.... often this can be easily fixed. Just about every puppy that i have raised has bitten me for one reason or another and not a single one has EVER even considered biting me or anyone else as an adult. puppies do stupid things until they know better and we as the owner need to teach them.

I will admit I do not know the story behind this, alot does come into play...why was the child bitten, was he messing with the dog ? Was thier food out? Was it over a toy ? Was it un-proveked ? Alot of my answer has to do with why the bite happened in the first place. Its alot easier to judge a dogs fait when you yourself was there to witness the incident, its hard ot say from the outside looking in as to how to handle it without knowing why and not knowing the dog.

If he isn't fixable, then your wishes will be granted with PTS.

I would have to say I am with those who question this quote....why would you even say something like this when you yourself were asking for advice on what to do with this dog? If you didn't really want this kind of reaction then why bother posting about your dilema when by that statement it would appear your feeling disdain for those who suggested it as an option.

Its your dog, do what you feel is best for your family, just do not let your heart blind your vision.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Reasonable, kind, well-intentioned dog owners and trainers, with decades of experience, have different opinions on when a dog should be euthanized vs. worked with to change problematic behavior. One common opinion with significant support can be summarized as "a dog who bites should be put to sleep." Considering limited resources and all the realities of dog ownership in our society, for some people, it may be proper advice. For other people, it may seem cavalier and cruel, especially since the state of the art of dog training has advanced so far over the past decades.

I don't blame the OP for perhaps seeming a little bitter about some of the opinions expressed in this thread. Euthanizing a pet is bitter medicine indeed. And I sympathize with anyone whose feathers got ruffled by some of the more passionate exchanges in this thread.

My understanding is that the OP is getting real-world help from a reputable behaviorist. Everyone's constructive comments, that make PBF such a valued resource, are gratefully acknowledged. I'll just take this opportunity to remind the community at large that we (the moderators of PBF) would like to spruce up our general attitude -- http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118306 -- then I'm sticking in a fork, because it's done.

Return to “Training and Behavior”