Kinda nervous.. Vet visit TODAY/our petsmart experiance

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
txbrittany
Newborn Bully

Kinda nervous.. Vet visit TODAY/our petsmart experiance

Postby txbrittany » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Okay, so We took Sadie to petsmart this weekend and she did very well. there was only one 'oops' and that was because a boxer was picking on her. She was well mannered, and listened to everything we said. we passed this boxer a few times, but he just didnt' like our Sadie. Nothing really happened. he growled at sadie, and she growled back. and it was over. but then we went to my mothers house who has a med. size dog who Sadie played with for hours and showed NO signs of aggression. We have a BAD problem with dogs running around our neighborhood, i see at least three dogs in our yard a day, she doesn't bark or growl at them she does want to go meet them though, and i usually don't let her. (i dont' know that she was ever given her shots, nor do i know if they have had theirs). Should i let her check it out?
Today we have her appointment with the vet and i am just worried that there is gonna be another dog in there that is DA, and its gonna go down hill. We don't have a pet taxi or anything like that, and even if we did there is NO way that i could carry her 60+lbs butt!!! I told the vet my concerns, and she said just make sure she is on a leash. any advise?
**the only dogs i have ever had i was not responsible for. they were family dogs, and my mother took them to the vet. NOT ME. I know that i can take care of her and all, but its kinda like being a new mom. ya know? I've got a ton of questions!! :oops:

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Keep the dog on a solid leash and watch your surroundings.
Give your pup a good run so he's tired when he goes. That will make him easier to manage in general.

There's also nothing wrong with waiting outside the building and having them call you in when it's time.

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm a nervous-nelly. When I have vet appointments for my dogs, I leave the dogs in the car while I go "check in". I scope out the waiting room. If the waiting room is full, I ask the receptionist if they could poke their head out the front door and let me know when it's our time. Otherwise, I bring my dog in to sit and wait. I always have plenty of treats and I use a short leash. Literally.. it's a leather handle with a clasp. They can only get as far away from me as my arm will allow.. which isn't far.

Bear is overly friendly. He's the type that wants to put his nose in everyone elses crotch and get all up in their face and say "HI!! Here I am!!" So I MUST keep him on a short leash, for his own safety. He's going to end up pissing off the wrong dog one day.
Sally is old and very tolerant. I don't have to keep her on a short leash, but I do.

As far as my vet experiences go.. if there's a dog that is questionable in the waiting room, they'll often take that dog to a holding room rather than keep it in the waiting room and letting it amp up the rest of the dogs.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:06 pm

If it's a big concern, leave her in the car and have them come get you when they have a room ready...

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:28 pm

We have a BAD problem with dogs running around our neighborhood, i see at least three dogs in our yard a day, she doesn't bark or growl at them she does want to go meet them though, and i usually don't let her.

You mean in your front yard? Or is your yard not fenced?

txbrittany
Newborn Bully

Postby txbrittany » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 pm

We live on 10 acres. and have a small part fenced off its big enough that we could leave her out there and she would be fine but she is an inside dog :oops: . we only go for walks in our field, and she is always on a leash. most people just let their dogs run loose around here. these aren't strays, they are actually someones pets.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Oh, I get it.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Have you thought about taking some basic obedience classes with her so that you both can be further educated??? It will definitely help with confidence. With this breed you NEED to be a confident pack leader if you go into a situation nervous, Sadie is going to pick up on that and think that something is wrong and react. When you go into the appt today. Go in "check in" let them know you are a new owner and do not know how she will react yet. Most clinics will allow you to come around back. Good Luck!!!! You will do fine. Make sure you have a good solid collar, and short leash. If you can try not to use the plastic snap collars, they do not hold up under pressure.

txbrittany
Newborn Bully

Postby txbrittany » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:20 pm

I am looking into classes. I am just not sure which method is right for us. I don't want anyone to be 'mean' to her. and i cannot be mean. I can be firm (i AM a mother of three), but hitting, and all that doesn't jive.. I've seen people pop their dog on the butt with their leash. and i can't see doing that myself. even if i am walking past her an pat her on the hiney she jumps. I def. want to get at least basic classes for us. I am not clear on the whole pack leader thing.. :oops: and I have a whole lot of reading to do still. She is attached to me so far. but listens just as well to my husband. and I only have to say something once.. (which is more than i can say for my kids!!). we have a leather-ish collar, that hooks like a belt.. (i know. i need to get a better one), I don't have a short leash either, but i think i can use our leash and hold it down low. and we will def. wait outside!!

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Oh no..... hitting doesn't get anywhere. Why not ask at Pet Smart? They do basic training, in fact for the basics they are not too bad. Anything beyond that I would definitely find someone more qualified. These dogs thrive on positive reinforcement and consistancy.

txbrittany
Newborn Bully

Postby txbrittany » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm

:frown: Sadie has heartworms. I was in tears when she said it. We are giving her preventitve meds. (which she takes like a champ :)) ) And once we get the money for the treatment that is what we will be doing..
She did amazing though. the vet said 'i don't think she is pregnant..' UH! WHAT. she said that she felt something but she thought it was probably just her bladder, and she is in heat. Everyone was a little stand off-ish at first but then the assistant that was helping us had one of the trainee's come hold Sadie for practice because 'she is super sweet. even you can take care of this one' heehee!! which of course i was thrilled to hear her say, and made me very proud!!! we have to go back next month for a follow up, and then we will discuss the heartworm treatment again. Oh, and she weighs 65lbs, and is about 1.5 years old. (vs. the 3 years her 'previous owner' said..)

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Oh I am sooo sorry to hear she has heartworm. My sisters pitbull cross had heartworms and was successfully treated. We will cross our fingers and pray she is not pregnant. Goodness knows there doesn't need to be more pitbull puppies. This is one lucky girl though that she found you. Good luck and keep us posted on her progress. We love pictures too :thumbsup:

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm

Keep her exercise level to a minimum until you kill the heartworms. They can die at any time and break off and cause a clot in the lungs (pulmonary thromboembolism). The risk and complications of this are much much higher if she is active. Get the heartworm treatment as soon as you possibly can, because then you will have more control and know more closely when the worms are dying (you will still have to keep her from being active for 2 months).

I don't want to scare you, but we just talked about this in my parasitology class and the professor (who used to be in private practice) said she has seen it happen too many times when the dogs were allowed to run around. Of course the risk is greater during the treatment, but like I said, they can die at anytime with the preventatives as well. Believe me, I know how hard it is to keep a pit bull calm and not running around... but I would hate for anything to happen that could have been prevented.

It is a good sign that she is not showing any symptoms of heartworm disease now. You should be able to kill them with few complications and have a great healthy pup when it's over with!

txbrittany
Newborn Bully

Postby txbrittany » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:56 pm

yea, she told me that i would have to keep her in a kennel, and only let her outside long enough to potty. which just seems so sad to me. she is a pretty calm dog though. Usually only getting excited when we playing with her. but still two months.. poor baby. when she told us how much it was gonna be i was like 'dang.. thats a pretty penny for a stray..' but when i got in the car i was crying like a big tit. and now i know that i'm gonna have to do it. (Thurday will be 2 weeks since she showed up).. I'm a sucker for sad eyes.. lol

txbrittany
Newborn Bully

Postby txbrittany » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:00 pm

oh, and she wasn't so soft about it.. it was 'they will drop dead. you have to watch them' :teary:

Return to “Training and Behavior”