Liberty on the Homefront

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:03 pm

I'd just go with 3 mg. And I give it to my pup in the morning, rather than the evening (even though my vet says evening is preferred--but I want a calm pup during the day). It really has worked wonders for him, much to my surprise.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Well, assuming she has no issues tonight, I'll give it to her about an hour before I leave regularly. Should I give it to her every day, or just days when I will be gone? (Mondays are my day off, and I spend most of it at home with the animals.)

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm giving Vanya one every morning, just to see what it does for his general excitability/exuberance /anxiety/intensity/screaming/noise sensitivity/ night stresses etc. The one thing he doesn't have is separation anxiety!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:57 pm

If I'm there, she's fine. If Oscar's there, she can conquer the world. Without the two of us, she's a wreck. :frown:

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm giving Vanya one every morning, just to see what it does for his general excitability/exuberance /anxiety/intensity/screaming/noise sensitivity/ night stresses etc. The one thing he doesn't have is separation anxiety!

I'm sure melatonin isn't going to cure your girl's separation anxiety. Like other meds, it will give you a little window of opportunity to work on all the counter-conditioning and desensitizing that you're already doing. Your adorable pup's separation anxiety will best be helped by that old routine--leave the room for 10 seconds, return, leave the room for 15 seconds, return, leave the room for 2 minutes, return, leave the room for 5 seconds, return, etc etc, to help her learn that nothing terrible happens when you leave. But the hormone may just let the message sink in. Good luck!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Good LUCK Amie and Liberty. We love you!!

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Oh my...what did I miss?

Are you not crating her when previously you used to?

Is she breaking out of the crate?

Was she never crated to begin with and only recently got comfortable enough to go poop (stupid filter) when you leave????

Poor babies...all of you!!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm anxious to see how this works for you Amie. I might have to get some for me if it works for you. :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Jazzy wrote:Oh my...what did I miss?

She was crated for a while, but started having a hard time in there - it was getting harder and harder to get her into it without physical force, and she would start screaming bloody murder shortly after getting in. So the behaviorist and I decided to try giving her a whole room (which is what Oscar has and has worked very well for him). It looked like that was working better, until I came home last night to see the redecorating she's done. Looking at the damage more closely today, I think I'm going to get some cheap linoleum and redo the whole room, as soon as I can afford it. She did a good number on about a four foot square area in a room that is maybe only 10 x 10 to begin with. There are a few blood streaks nearest the door, but her feet look fine now (I think her nails are actually shorter) - there's no scarring or wounds on her feet.

Now the rest of this post is going to get very, very graphic. Today, I discovered the scariest thing in the world. So scary Liberty will not come to me if it is between us. So scary if this is within ten feet of us, she comes to me only very slowly, and keeping her eyes glued on it. SO scary, do you understand, that even Oscar sniffing it does not make it a friend. This, I tell you, is some scary chocolate. Prepare yourselves. Scroll down slowly, and possibly with paramedics standing by.

Are you sure you're ready?

Don't say I didn't warn you!

(It's smaller than a standard basketball. I'm betting it's Snow White that freaks her out. That bitch likes cleaning. She obviously cannot be trusted.)

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 pm

I hope the melatonin works for Liberty and you too. I started taking the 5mg one and slept for 8 hours for the first time in a long time. I'm going to cut it in half to give to Shay when the idiot behind us starts with his firecrackers, which probably will start next week. :sad:

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:42 pm

roflmao roflmao roflmao

I don't trust Snow White either.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:36 pm

For some reason that just makes me want to cry. How could a dog be so freaked out by a ball? One can only imagine....

I tried melatonin myself for sleep before but it really knocked me on my butt! Weird dreams too. I DO hope it will work for Liberty but am glad you decided to be there with her. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? It might not be strong enough, but I have found it to help me and my cats.

Linoleum is making a big comeback! I've seen some really beautiful linoleum floor coverings and they even make rugs out of it now.

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm sorry about the redecorating that Liberty has done. I hope the melatonin works!

I'm gonna admit. I started cracking up at the pink ball. I was expecting maybe the vacuum. Tyson is that way with the vacuum, the swifter and the broom. roflmao

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:56 pm

roflmao ok, the ball???? roflmao

(that's as bad as my Diesel who was afraid of the x-mas tree stand!)

Amie

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:02 am

Well, I think it did help a lot, actually! She didn't seem to dream unusually (she does have frequent nightmares, but hasn't woken up from night terrors in a while - when she first came, she would fall asleep, then start growling in her sleep, and suddenly wake up and start barking hysterically and it would take me a solid minute to get her to see me at all)

I gave her the melatonin about fifteen minutes before I had to leave. I got her to come into the room on her own (lured with food, but that's better than picking her up and putting her in it!) and then was able to leave and close the door without much trouble. I also put a barrier down so she couldn't see the cats feet under the door, since I had a feeling that might be making things worse, too - being able to SEE her family right outside (or at least their little feet) but not get to them. Then I went to work.

She did cry a little bit, but not a lot - not the blood curdling screams she'd been doing.

When I got home from work, the whole house smelled bad (BAD - and I have a lousy sense of smell. I'm talking, BAD. Like, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't complain.) She didn't start crying when I came in the house (I don't think she's ever cried all day long - she's been calming herself down during the day, because she is able to eat, but when she was in her room, she would hear me come in, and start crying a minute or two later) The door was still closed, she was calm and quiet as I opened the door...

To reveal a pile of chocolate almost as big as she was. That she had walked through, and was all over the pillows and things in the room with her. I cleaned it up, put bowls of white vinegar all over the house (which helped!) and am going to buy some more cleaners today.

Today I'll do some more training with her - me leaving for short but unpredictable lengths of time - and I'll also go sit in her room and watch a movie or two with her in there, so that the room isn't all about being left alone, but is about relaxing.

(oh, and she's still scared of the evil pink ball, but it's sitting in the house and she mostly ignores it now, unless it moves towards her)

Return to “Training and Behavior”