Liberty on the Homefront

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I think you're doing a fabulous job with Liberty.

As you said, you know her therapy is going to consist of a series of 1 step forward, 3 steps back - even though intellectually you know that is how it will happen; it's still emotionally hard when you're in the "steps back" mode. But please, try to console yourself with the fact that she is with you, which means ultimately her life will be the best she is able to achieve...and alot of the time that is going to be "pretty darn good" even if she has episodes of regression here and there!!!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Thanks, guys. She's been coming forward SO much for the past ten weeks, even knowing there would be regression, I was thinking in the back of my mind that she might be a family dog that I robbed of a family. This little incident reminded me that she's not. She's better still today, is basically at normal outside her room, and now just skeptical of her room, which we can work on easily. And I'm about to take her and Oscar someplace new to both of them (photos to follow) so we'll see how she does there.

Like I said, I feel like I'm doing all the right things, it's just hard to see someone you love hurting, and I know these fears hurt. I know it's HARD to feel unsafe, and it hurts to watch her feel like that, even knowing how far she's come since that first week.

Baby steps.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Liberty is scared of leather.

A friend sent us an amazing care package, which included a leather leash. And when I hold it and encourage her, she will come up and sniff it, and then shies away from it. She flinches when I try to hook it to her, which she doesn't do to any other leash. Leashes mean going out, so she likes them -- when they aren't leather.

Oh, if I ever find her previous home....

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Amie wrote:Oh, if I ever find her previous home....

Strangle them with the leather leash you can't use! :po:

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:11 am

Oh, I can and will use it (and not on those wastes of flesh and blood) - she'll get over her fear of leather, like she's gotten over so many others.

The running count for the moment:

Things Liberty was (*still is) afraid of: (an incomplete list)
1. some men
2. cars
3. balls*
4. the Disney princesses *
5. stuffed animals
6. floor fans
7. biscuits
8. toys
9. all new settings *
10. running water
11. flags
12. screaming cats
13. bags
14. shovels
15. anything carried
16. anything leaning
17. trash cans
18. leather
19. brushes*
20. thunder*
21. rain
22. some shadows*
23. anything thrown near her*
24. vaccuum cleaners*
25. bully sticks

Things Liberty has never shown fear of
: (a complete list)
1. The Dremel

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Amie wrote:
Things Liberty has never shown fear of[/u]: (a complete list)
1. The Dremel

Can Liberty send a little bit of that bravery over to Tyson. He is a wuss when it comes to that!

I would love to know how those wastes of skin managed to get a dog to be scared of Disney Princesses. 8l

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Oscar isn't scared of the Dremel, but he hates having his feet handled. Liberty seems to enjoy getting her nails done, and Oscar just stares slack-jawed while I do her nails. It is absolutely the only thing she's done without having to see Oscar go through it first. Being brushed or combed is excruciating torture. Having your nails done? That's just Girls' Day Out!

tbluverjumper
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby tbluverjumper » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:49 pm

So I just finished reading over this whole thread and Amie may I say I know EXACTLY how you are feeling.
I think Petunia and Liberty may be twins. I'm going on 5 months here and I am finally able to leave the house for a few hours at a time and not have her freak out. Petunia has come leaps and bounds in the last month, I think she is finally starting to realize this is a safe place no matter if someone is here or not..kudos to you for dealing with all the craziness.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel! :cheerleader:

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:03 pm

There's just no way to update this without making myself sound like a truly horrible housekeeper, but Liberty had her first vacuum fears today. (I HAVE vacuumed since she came... I think... I must have. Right?) This was not my normal vacuum, I borrowed my parents' Rainbow (see? I could have vacuumed and it's that she's scared of THIS one! Yeah??) and went to town in the hall (ie "Liberty's port-a-potty")

She actually wasn't too bad when it was going - hung out on the couch, clearly thinking evil thoughts about it - but when I broke it apart at the end of the process, she decided the water basin was even more horrifying than the Disney Princesses ball, and that's saying something.

Tonight when I got home from work, I went to take her out, and had to walk her past the basin to get her out. She decided she wasn't interested in doing that again, and that she was going to find a new home where they didn't have horrors like water basins, and got in the car (when I went to retrieve the second portion of the story). And then she wouldn't get out of the car, for fifteen minutes. When she finally did, she walked very calmly in the other direction (still looking for a new home). It took me another ten minutes to get her into the house.

Once inside, I revealed the goodie I'd bought today, curious to see if either dog would like it.

An Antler. aka "The Second Coming"

Liberty sniffed it willingly (this is an improvement - no fear! Just sniffing!) but didn't do anything with it.

Oscar reacted the way he reacts to all new goodies which is extreme wagging, bouncing, tiny games of fetch with himself, and a general attitude of "OH MY GOSH THIS IS MY FAVORITE I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT what is it???"

And then he sat down and chewed for a good ten minutes. As a non chewer, this was pretty impressive of him! He got up for a drink, and Liberty immediately got up and took it to her own corner, and chewed on it for three minutes or so, then Oscar sniffed it, so she left it for him. He's chewing on it again now!!!

And because she is a dog who lives with and learns from my cats, while I was typing this, she walked into the hall and spit up water on the section of the floor I spent so much time cleaning this morning.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:52 pm

You are such a saint with Libby, Ive been following this thread, you are so amazing to help her out.

Do you think she would be ok with a window fan? We have a dual fan in the window and it is amazing, plus they are fairly cheap:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3 ... %2BFan.jsp
one fan blows in and one fan blows out.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:53 am

I think it takes her a loooong time to adjust to the sounds the fans make. She never had an obvious problem with the tiny (crappy) window AC, but that may have been on at least sometime as long as she's been here. Then there was the floor fan, which took her two or three days to get over (by "over" I mean, she can be in the same room with it now - her route to the front door still involves jumping up on the couch, off the back of the couch, onto the treadmill and off the treadmill rather than just walking straight to the door by going past the fan) And she'll be in her room with the tiny box fan now, but I think if I changed the speed or anything it would probably take a few days again.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:00 am

ruby was petrified of my vaccum, to the point if i put my hand on the handle she bolted downstairs.. well that one broke, so i got a new one (different kind) and used it, she just looked at it. it also made a different noise then the other one, so i think the noise from the other one was more terrifying. the new one she wont run, but just sit there watching me.. maybe your vaccum isnt as loud as your parents?

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Tyson has 3 terrible fears:
Vacuum, Swifter (which makes NO noise), and the thingy I used to take up my tile (which looks like a broom stick with a blade).

Call me a horrible mom, but one day I lined them up in front of the sofa when I was trying to get work done so that he wouldn't come bother me. roflmao

Amie, sounds like you have the patience of a saint with Lib. :inlove:

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:11 pm

It would be hard to not be patient with her, honestly. Everyone who meets her falls in love. I wish there was a way for you all to see her - she has this amazing quality.

She wants to trust. She wants to be brave. She wants to be strong.

It's hard for her right now, it's all very scary, but you can actually see her trying to do better and to get over those fears. It's really quite amazing, and it's impossible for me to ever get upset with her because of it. She's working much harder than I am at all this, and I know people look at me funny when I say she's doing all the work, but she is.

Return to “Training and Behavior”