Liberty on the Homefront

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 pm

VERY nice work! Self Esteem is great for all living creatures. :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:21 am

Note to self: When Liberty randomly walks into the bathroom and whimpers at the bathtub, it is not some odd way of alerting that she needs to go out. She does not alert to go out. I know this.

It might, however, be a sign that she smelled the monster-formerly-known-as-the-monster-under-the-shed through the bathtub drain. Therefore, taking two pit bulls outside after a bathtub-whimper is what will henceforth be known as a "stupid idea".

Apparently the monster has moved. Both dogs now spend their time outside in complete hysterics, frantically trying to get under my house, making the chipmunk orgy sound (patented by Oscar, expanded upon by wanna-be-opera singer Lib) and coming very close to ripping off my arms and breaking their own necks hitting the ends of their leads over and over again.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:51 am

Amie wrote:Note to self: When Liberty randomly walks into the bathroom and whimpers at the bathtub, it is not some odd way of alerting that she needs to go out. She does not alert to go out. I know this.

It might, however, be a sign that she smelled the monster-formerly-known-as-the-monster-under-the-shed through the bathtub drain. Therefore, taking two pit bulls outside after a bathtub-whimper is what will henceforth be known as a "stupid idea".

Apparently the monster has moved. Both dogs now spend their time outside in complete hysterics, frantically trying to get under my house, making the chipmunk orgy sound (patented by Oscar, expanded upon by wanna-be-opera singer Lib) and coming very close to ripping off my arms and breaking their own necks hitting the ends of their leads over and over again.

I'm thinking VIDEO!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm

I have a similar problem up here Amie.
I know mice are running thru my heat vents at nigth, her them and see poop in ther when I shine my flashlight in the vents(and I jut vacc thenm out aobut a monht ago) but not sure wth else is under this place?
It is drivng the dogs nuts. I am afraid Paige is going to rip a hole in the floor to get to it!
When we go to the bedroom to watch tv is when our monster starts.
I try to keep the volume up as loud as I can stand it, but Paige still wakes up from a snoring sleep. It sounds like it is moving around under the floor, can even hear it's fur rubbing on something, then it stops once it gets under the cornor of my closest floor. By then, Paige will fly off the bed, nose drops to the floor, tracks the scnet to the cornor of my closet and starts digging at the carpet.
I jump up, stomp on the floor, turn on lights, then go outside and bang on the deck and it quiets down for a while.
:eek:
I managed to trap several ground hogs before they went under to hybernate, filled in all their holes and tunnels (with dirt, stoen dust and rocks) in the past week so not sure wth is under here now.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:37 am

Well Amie...you did teach her to track did you not? :))

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 pm

We worked on housetraining for MONTHS with Liberty. She doesn't alert to peeing at all (pblove has seen proof of this, it's not just me ignoring signs, sometimes she doesn't even stop walking)

But we were finally getting things under control, and were up to a full month between occasional mistake.

Then we got a cold snap this week. At which point Liberty went on strike from using the outdoor bathroom crap, and is back to peeing in the house.

Tonight, though, was the pinnacle.

I got both dogs set to go out, leashed and sitting pleasantly by the front door, I opened the door and stepped out into the 20 degree weather, and Oscar joined me. So the arm holding Oscar's leash came with me, and the arm holding Liberty's leash... did not.

I turned around to see the most pathetic "I don't waaaaaannnnnnaaaa" eyes you've ever seen in your life (imagine Puss in Boots from Shrek, but on a pit bull) and Liberty was still sitting there by the front door. I could NOT get her to move. Oscar peed and came back in, and Liberty move aside - leaving a puddle in her place.

Apparently, Miss Thang just peed where she sat, rather than coming out in the bitter cold with Oscar and me.

Next payday someone is getting fleece PJs.

Or being sold for parts.

I haven't decided yet.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:27 pm

You are NOT selling her for parts! You meanie.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 pm

You want her little turkey neck? It's soft and wrinkly and you can arrange the folds however you'd like. Going cheap!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 pm

argh! i got one of those coats for button that sharon posted about from schneider's saddlery--pretty cheap but pretty warm.

maybe she would like to have one to go outside in for Christmas!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:33 pm

We worked on housetraining for MONTHS with Liberty. She doesn't alert to peeing at all (pblove has seen proof of this, it's not just me ignoring signs, sometimes she doesn't even stop walking)

Amie is not kidding either. Inever saw a dog pee like she does, no sniffing, no squatting, did not even lift a foot or leg a little ,we were walking along, she peed and did not miss a step. lol

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Right? It's bizarre! The signs she gives to poop are what most dogs do to pee, but I have yet to see consistent signs that she needs to pee. She's an odd little thing!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:46 pm

odd yes, but she is cute!!!!!!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:59 pm

It was 10 below here Thurs eve and Kaiser hit the sidewalk and basically fell on his belly and ran back in the house to his cushion in front of the heat vent. I knew he had to poop and I had to tease him with his leash. I put a towel, then newspaper, and have hay out over the snow in a trail. I enticed him and then he ran out and pooped and ran back in! He'll pee right outside the door but for some reason won't poop right there which I guess is good but he hates cold feet, he basically hates anything to do with his feet. Lily on the other hand is not smart enough to even realize it is cold. She'd probably stay out there and freeze to death.

Any chance Liberty would try boots?

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:21 pm

We don't have any snow here, and for the five minutes we did, she didn't mind it. And actually once I get her through the door, she's okay and does her business and waits for Oscar to be done before we can go back in. But she really, really doesn't want to take that first step over the threshold to get outside.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:44 pm

Well that's probably better than her wanting to bolt out the door every time you open it? I dunno, all I can offer is sorry you have to clean up pee.

Usually we get some chance to get acclimated to the cold but this year was different because it was so nice in Nov. and then it just went rock bottom freezing. It's 20 and sunny today and feels heavenly.

Return to “Training and Behavior”