Liberty on the Homefront

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Amie

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 am

We had a little stand off this morning. I took her out to potty while Oscar was eating breakfast, as we do each morning. I watched her poop twice (little pale rock hard pebbles, as predicted) and then asked to come in. We came in, she made sure Oscar had finished his breakfast (always hoping for crumbs, never getting them), and then walked into the living room and peed on the floor. I jumped up and shuffled her outside immediately, and then waited. We walked around for ages, in snow and ice, me in rubber boots without socks, and she just wasn't getting it. FORTY FIVE minutes went by, with both of us shivering and getting cranky and frustrated. I know she didn't know how to tell me she wanted to go in, and I also know that she has never in her time with me gone as long as 20 minutes outside without peeing. So I waited. And she finally peed, got a big fuss made, was allowed to come inside instantly, and is now next to me under the covers on the couch, as we both wait for our feet to thaw.

I put this as a record for those people who say "she KNEW she wasn't supposed to pee inside, he KNOWS he's supposed to go outside" about their dogs. Because the dog doesn't know, and it's up to us to teach them. I had something Liberty wanted - the ability to open the door to inside. She had something I wanted (sort of) - pee. She gives, I give, and until she gives me what I want, I couldn't give her what she wanted.

And now as I break of my frostbitten dead toes, I will not go outside into that frozen tundra again today, so she'd better pee in the toilet.

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:12 pm

WOW well I finally read through every page as ive been doing on any time I get to just sit on the comp ill read a few pages here and there I love your stories she sounds like such a sweet little girl so I couldnt tell or mayb I missed it but is your home her forever home? I hope so it sounds like she needs you and you obviously love her

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:53 pm

so I have still had to leave the house on occasion.

Bah ha ha ha ha ha roflmao roflmao roflmao :peace:

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:13 pm

Believe me, there are many days when I envy hermits!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am

Amie wrote:Believe me, there are many days when I envy hermits!

Me too, me too.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Two words:

*sigh*

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm

roflmao

I think that's my next step. It might make working with the pit bulls at the shelter a little tricky, but we can get around that.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 pm

oh no. i wonder if you got one of the VariKennels with the wire on the sides instead of the plastic vents?

or maybe, instead of rigging the door of her room, you could install a couple of inexpensive slider bolts on the top and bottom so she can't manage to shove or pull the door open?

yikes.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 am

Promotion at work means the Alcatraz kennel is getting ordered tomorrow morning and should hopefully be here next week. Liberty ate an entire bag of coffee beans last Friday. I don't usually leave them out, so I'm not sure where she got them, but I'm well aware that could have killed her. She was a little extra jittery Saturday, and her poop was extra textured and fragrant, but otherwise she was fine.

But I thought her fans would like to see documentation of the horrible thing that happened to her today.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 am

I'm so glad you two found each other. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Wow, glad she's okay, and congrats on the promotion!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Congratulations on your promotion Amie! :nana:

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm

I know this is wrong, but for some reason the site of Lib eating a whole bag of coffee beans make me giggle. You have the patience of a saint, Amie. Can I send you Tyson for a week or two?

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Today I had an appointment, and when I came home she'd eaten half a box (and the box itself) of instant potato flakes, and most of a carton (including the carton) of bread crumbs. She probably needed the extra carbs to balance out the caffeine in her system.

Uh, no thanks on the Tyson. I'm sure he's charming, but I'm even more sure the ledge is close enough as it is. lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”