Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Amie

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby Amie » Sun May 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Little bit of an update HERE

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue May 01, 2012 6:33 am

Three years ago today I went to a vet to pick up a little red dog to take home to foster for a few weeks. I was working with a Behaviorist who had seen this little red dog hit by a car, taken her to a vet to be healed (and spayed) and started a search for a new home for her. Foolishly, I'd said "well, I certainly can't keep her, but I could foster her." Right.

So after a few weeks in the hospital, the little red dog came home on May 1, 2009. It was a grey and rainy day - like today, actually. The little red dog who didn't really know what to do on leash had to walk out of the vet hospital and get into my car. That in itself took almost half an hour, and even then I gave up and lifted her into the car myself. She rode home in silence, petrified. Petrified seemed like it would be a permanent state of affairs for this little one.

The only time there was a spark in her eyes was when Oscar would come around. At the sight of him, there would be a tiny tail-tip wag. Otherwise, she had to be carried outside four times a day to go to the bathroom, where she would go where she was put down, and then stand there. Petrified. She would eat some food if it was put less than six inches in front of her, but wouldn't move to get it. It took weeks before that changed.

After about a month, she could walk around, though was still very frightened of - well, everything. If Oscar did it first, she would attempt an imitation. And if someone new wanted to meet her, she would cower to the ground, flat on her belly, shaking, hiding her eyes... and crawling towards them. It was clear she knew - KNEW - that the only possible thing that human could want was to beat her, to hurt her... and still, she wanted to be with them. It was heartbreaking to watch, and still brings tears to my eyes three years later.

But this little red dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier, and she's a fighter, and she fought all of her demons and won. She learned to ride in the car, and go to the vet, and walk on a leash, and meet new people. She can walk into new buildings and meet new animals and people. She can take obedience classes, and even win "Musical Sit" competitions. She can act like a real dog, and if it weren't for the physical scars on her body, you wouldn't know the hell she'd been through.

It took a long time. A LONG time. I still see signs of that fearful little red dog every so often. She still has an unexplainable fear of ceiling fans. She still has occasional nightmares. She's still slightly more timid in new settings. But it mostly just makes people think she's not as bouncy as I say she is, it doesn't read to them as fear. You'd have to know her.

You'd have to have the blessing of having the kindest, most loving, most enthusiastically forgiving heart ever to beat on this earth. Oscar is my soul - my dearest, most precious reason. But Liberty... Liberty is my heart. She's my teacher, who reminds me just how powerful courage is, and how invincible love is.

Happy, happy, happy birthday, little red. You came to me at three, today you are six. You are silly, and brave, and funny, and insatiable, and affectionate, and sweet, and loving, and SIX. I'm so proud to be your momma.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 am

Reading that just made my day... You two are amazing! :bowdown: :hug: Brina wishes you a happy birthday Liberty, red ladies are the best! :D

(hehe not only that they look alike, even their gotcha day is only a week apart lol)

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue May 01, 2012 7:21 am

Happy Gotcha Day Lib!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 am

Happy, Happy Gotcha Day to you Miss Liberty!!
Blessings and love to your FOREVER family...Amie, Oscar and the kitties....you all belong.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue May 01, 2012 12:47 pm

happy birthday sweet girl. I miss your updates Amie, libby has stolen my heart and Im sure many others, watching her blossom into what she is today has been a blessing for me. She is such a wonderful girl.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue May 01, 2012 5:19 pm

i remember those early days ... you guys have come so far!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Liberty on the Homefront

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 01, 2012 7:26 pm

What beautiful words for an incredible story.

Happy Gotcha Day little red dog.

patty

Postby patty » Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm

AWWW, Happy Happy Birthday Liberty!

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Five years ago today I cried when I said Goodbye to Oscar on my way to work, because it was his last morning as an only dog.

That night I brought home a terrified, shut down, and miserable little red pit bull. She had to be carried outside to go to the bathroom for six weeks. She wouldn't move more than six inches for food. She was terrified of everything, and everyone, though her reaction to people was always to cower, shake, and crawl towards them, certain they were going to beat her, but that she wanted to be with them still.

Since then, she has nursed kittens, a puppy, and my soul. She teaches children pit bulls aren't scarey and dogs that panic isn't necessary. She seduced Rob and convinced him to come back time and again, and teaches me everyday the meaning of heart.

Happy, happy, happy birthday to the most gentle, loving, amazing, brave little dork I've ever had the honor to know.

sunnygirl01
Adolescent Bully

Postby sunnygirl01 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 am

Awww!!!! I just read all the way back through this and it still makes me cry just like it did in 2011! Sad tears for all she had to go through before she got to you and tears of joy for her progress and life now.
YOU.ARE.BOTH.AMAZING.

And I LOVE that last picture! Her smile says it all.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 pm

I realized last night that Liberty has now officially taught three different species not to be afraid of dogs - not just in my home, but in official capacities as a helper dog in my Reactive Rover classes, helper dog in Kitten Kindergarten, and in Project Mickey (which goes into Elementary Schools to teach dog safety).

So proud of my girl:

(at Project Mickey)

(in Reactive Rover - she's center)

(in Kitten Kindergarten)

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Only three?

:inlove:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Slacker! (three species officially. She's also lived with spiders, turtles, and snakes and a mom who occasionally smells like chickens.)

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:41 am

Amie wrote:Slacker! (three species officially. She's also lived with spiders, turtles, and snakes and a mom who occasionally smells like chickens.)

But seriously. The turtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Training and Behavior”