Anyone familiar with the Sch. AD?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Anyone familiar with the Sch. AD?

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm

I plan on enterng a Sch. AD at the end of the summer and have a good conditioning program in place, but I don't know what speed the dog needs to be traveling at. I've read the rule book and the article in the recent Sch. magazine.
What are the time limits on the legs of the AD?
What is the average speed we need to travel at?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 20, 2009 2:54 pm

here's a link to the DVG rules. USA rules would be very similar.

http://dvgamerica.com/ad.html

retro
Adolescent Bully

Postby retro » Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 pm

i hope you do run it with your dog! i wish more people would do it with their dogs - especially considering it's relevance to their heritage when you think about broodstock.

i've done two ADs with my stafs now & they were both fun, and i learned something about each dog while conditioning it :-)

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Re: Anyone familiar with the Sch. AD?

Postby ellie@ny » Wed May 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Mooresmajestic wrote:I plan on enterng a Sch. AD at the end of the summer and have a good conditioning program in place, but I don't know what speed the dog needs to be traveling at. I've read the rule book and the article in the recent Sch. magazine.
What are the time limits on the legs of the AD?
What is the average speed we need to travel at?

I did the AD with my girl in last Oktober,it was way too easy IMO.
I entered my little guy this April too,but they cancelled it due to bad weather...So he'll be up this year again.
Big help if you get a bike speedometer,so you can track your exercise etc.
Here is some info on it.

ENDURANCE TEST (AUSDAUERPRUFUNG/AD) REQUIREMENTS.
General Information
The AD (Ausdauerprufung/Endurance Test) test is part of the requirements for the Breed Survey (Korung) and should not be considered as a separate test. The dog must run beside its handler for a distance of 20 kilometres (about 12.5 miles.) It will test the dog’s physical strength and make sure the dog is physically able to endure a certain amount of physical stress without showing significant fatigue. A short obedience exercise will follow the running test.
Requirements for Entry
The dog must be at least 16 months old on the day of the test and dogs more than 6 years old are excused from having to complete this part of the breed survey. All dogs must be registered, and have their score book, pedigree and registration papers on hand the day of test. The dog must be healthy and in good condition. Sick dogs, weak dogs, bitches in heat, bitches in whelp and nursing bitches are not allowed to participate. The judge and trial secretary will verify the identification of each dog (Microchip/Tattoo) and that each dog is in good physical condition. Dogs that present a tired or listless demeanour are to be excused. All decisions made by the judge are final.
Scoring
No points or awards will be given for the examination, only the rating of "Passed" or "Not Passed". Only dogs that pass will receive the AD certification.
The Test
A.) The Running Exercise. The dogs will be run a total of 20 kilometres (about 12.5 miles) at an average speed of 12 to 15 kilometres per hour (7.7 to 9.5 miles per hour).The dog must be kept on leash on the left hand side of the handler and move in a normal trot next to the bicycle. The leash must be sufficiently long to give the dog the ability to adjust to any changes in speed. Slight pulling or forging is not faulty but continually failing behind is faulty. There will be a 10 minute rest period after the dogs have completed 8 kilometres (5 miles). During the rest period, the judge will examine the dogs for fatigue. Tired dogs will be removed from the test. There will be a 10 minute rest period at the end of 15 kilometres (9.4 miles). The judge will again check the dogs. Dogs that are tired or dogs with sore feet will be removed from the test. Dogs will be allowed to move about freely during the rest periods but should be on leash. The last 5 kilometres will be run and then there will be a 15 minute rest period. The judge will again determine if the dog demonstrates tiredness or sore feet due to the running.
The judge and the trial secretary should accompany the dogs on a bicycle or in a car. The judge will make notes about the condition of the dogs and any/all deficiencies will be noted. It is necessary that a car follow the handlers and dogs so that tired or sore dogs can be transported. Dogs that lack the proper spirit and hardness and those that show fatigue and dogs that cannot keep up the required speed or who need extra time cannot pass the examination.
B.) Obedience. After the running exercise and when requested by the judge, the handlers will assemble with their dogs in the heeling position. Under the direction of the judge, the handlers and dogs will go through the heeling exercise (on or off leash) according to the Schutzhund rules. No gun shots are to be fired. In addition, the judge must verify the psychological condition of the dogs. The method is left up to the judge.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 pm

BabyReba wrote:here's a link to the DVG rules. USA rules would be very similar.

http://dvgamerica.com/ad.html

The only difference between DVG and SCH is DVG goes by size of the dogs,if you have a smaller breed,then they don't have to complete the full 12.4 mi.

"Completion of a distance of 5 km [3.1 miles] (small dogs), 10 km [6.2 miles] (medium size dogs) and 20 km [12.4 miles] (large dogs) at a pace of 10 to 15 km/hour [6.2 to 9.3 miles per hour] for the small (up to 35 cm [13.65 inches] at the withers) and middle size dogs (up to 50 cm [19.5 inches] at the withers) and 12 to 15 km/hour [7.4 to 9.3 miles per hour] for all large dogs [all dogs over 50 cm]."

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed May 20, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I've got a bike speedo now I can condition at the right speed!

So in Sch. USA the dogs are on the Left side of the bike -- did I read that correct?

I figured it's 1 more cert. and I already bike with her anyways so why not? And I think it will be a ton of fun! I've got to keep up with the GSD's in the training club I'm a part of! It's great that they accept my dog and me with open minds... We are all there for the same purpose, to have great working dogs. I didn't even know that some of this stuff existed untill they say 'you know I'd bet Vi'd be able to do...'

Return to “Training and Behavior”