Training a Puller to Heal

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
mind_Doc
Newborn Bully

Training a Puller to Heal

Postby mind_Doc » Wed May 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Hannibal is a puller, and from day one, earned his UKC name “H-Train to Nevada.â€

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Changing Languages helps sometimes too. My girl does her best Obed in German, while other sports I plan to teach in Russian or English. Different languages for different sports. That way she's never confused to what we are doing at that time.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 pm

In general, teaching NOT to do something in a foreign language (which anything we will say to a dog will be, since we aren't dogs) is far more complicated than saying what TO do.

So teaching the dog to heel is a VERY effective method of stopping pulling, because it gives the dog something positive to do that cannot be done concurrently with the bad behavior. Just like teaching a dog to sit when he meets new people - he can't sit and jump up on them.

It's always better to try to replace a behavior with a more pleasant one than it is to try to just eliminate it altogether.

Good job!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu May 21, 2009 9:00 am

I've only taught what to do... I know every dog is different, some have to be told every step of the way, while others are able to figure things out on their own. I've just noticed that it makes it easier for my girl to figure out which job we are doing at that time. It was just something that I found helpful while I train in 4 different sports at the same time.

But keep up the good work, there is nothing nicer to see than a pittie in a perfect heal walking down the street!

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 am

Sorry, moore, I wasn't commenting in anyway on your response - yes, different commands for different "events" is a great idea, too!

I think I just clicked reply without even reading what you'd written when I responded, and was only commenting on mind_Doc's statement "I worked on REPLACING and DIFFERENTIATING the behavior. "
:))

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu May 21, 2009 9:15 am

It's ok, I should have written things more clearly. That's what I get for trying to do this at work! I keep getting interrupted and forget what I was saying!

Return to “Training and Behavior”