food dispensing toys

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
heartbullies

food dispensing toys

Postby heartbullies » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:56 am

The video of Jack working with the food-dispensing toy made me laugh... Booker was pretty, er, non-exploratory when I got him. Over the past few years I've really been working on him exploring, interacting with, manipulating, and generally being more confident with his environment. He was sort of like a child raised in a closet, he had literally no idea that things could move or that the world was really 3-D. lol We have a lot of food-dispensing toys and games.

This past week, he came with me for a couple days to a house he's never been to before. There are 2 dogs that live there. Within ten minutes, Booker had found and helpfully pointed out all the non-dog-proofed areas (though the 2 resident dogs don't seem to have figured these things out, apparently they are not gluttonous enough):

-kibble in a plastic garbage-can type container in the kitchen, he nosed the lid to turn it and then lifted the lid in about 8 seconds

-trash cans with a flat lid on top, took him 2 seconds to bump up the lid to stick his schnozz in

-air-scented the fruit basket on the kitchen table, sat and wiggled on the floor directly in front of it even though he could not see it

-air-scented the sandwich fixings on the counter, sat and wiggled on the floor directly in front of it, even though he couldn't see it until he sat on his haunches like a squirrel "o hai, i found it, please to insert in mouth for my hard werk"

-targeted (with his nose) the cabinet door protecting the compost bin and since it's magnetic, OPENED the door, success!

-then did the same thing and targeted (with his nose) the cabinet doors protecting the dog treats, which didn't open on the first try, so he tried again and bumped them harder

This is why he was on a leash most of the time, and is also part of why I just shut my bedroom door with him inside whenever I go to work. Rampaging Gourmand is getting too smart with opening things and cabinets, and I wouldn't put it past him to open up my fridge. Tonight at dinner after I was done, he very deliberately bumped the outdoor sidewalk-cafe table with his nose twice, to see if anything fell off. If he smells food and isn't getting commands he is more than happy to try to manipulate objects to procure snacks. What have I created?! lol

Amie

Re: food dispensing toys

Postby Amie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 am

You've created a male Liberty! Add in there following the cats around in hopes of hairballs and we have a winner!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:15 am

Amie wrote:You've created a male Liberty! Add in there following the cats around in hopes of hairballs and we have a winner!

Does recognizing the litterbox/dispenser of kitty roca count?

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 am

I think so, since I've had to build barricades to all our boxes!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 am

The world is Booker's food-dispensing toy!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:18 am

See, now if it was Tess, she'd just have jumped onto the table and helped herself to fruit. Or ginger ale.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Sarah wrote:See, now if it was Tess, she'd just have jumped onto the table and helped herself to fruit. Or ginger ale.

But she's so much more lithe and agile! The 70 pound dog can do some pretty good leaps but it's more like a locomotive and probably would have knocked the glass over, or something.

I'll share ginger ale with Tess, Tully, and Elmo any day!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Tess says she would be happy to molest you again.

ebbtide
Newborn Bully

Postby ebbtide » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:20 am

After vinnie got bigger, I had to replace all my interior door handles from lever style to knob style.. I think the second he was tall enough to nose those things down he did...

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:23 pm

Booker's got it all figured out.

You should try and catch a photo of him sitting pretty for sandwich fixings. lol

I use post-it notes around my apartment sometimes to teach Saint to touch things. My friend asked me if I was going to teach him how to open the fridge. I laughed at at her; what a horrible idea! Saint would be eating my leftovers all the time, a big no-no. (I love Saint very much, but anyone who touches my leftover is in for it. ;) ) However, I could teach him how to get me a beer and THAT could be useful. :tongue:

Return to “Training and Behavior”