"Is my dog dog-aggressive?"

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Re: "Is my dog dog-aggressive?"

Postby Nikki89 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

I dont mind the typos my online skills are horrible i have run on sentences no periods or nothing most the time Im keeping them seperated as much as possible this was there out the crate time and I walked into my bedroom and bam they got into it :( its just very hard cause I cant just leave them in the crate all day that wouldnt be fair and I understand thats not what you were saying ill send my location but it may be a short while befor I can afford a trainer in the mean time I will keep working with them
see we did not intentionally get 2 5 month old sisters we got keila and my bfs cousin got her sister angel well after a week of having her she went out of state and has now decided to live there its been about 2 months she has to come back for all her stuff but doesnt know if she will be taking angel and if she cant or wont I was hoping to be able to give her a forever home and still hope to be able to I have a very hard time rehoming a dog it makes me very sad and I just dont know if I could ever do it does anyone think I should try to keep her and manage them the best I can or is that kinda selfish of me

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm

I don't think it sounds selfish at all - two puppies at the same time can be tough, especially when you basically had the one dumped on you. I was under the impression that they were littermates, is that not the case?

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Oh no they are litter mates and not from the best breeder but I fell in love and fealt I was still doing the right thing as I was giving her a better home as well as an inside home I could go on and on about what I thought about this guy although his dogs were well cared for and gorgous for living in cages outside and pretty friendly but the pups all shared the same food bowl there and it has caused major food agression but I manage that well and they all have there own at my house fed in seperate places no longer having to fight for every meal the sister came about when my bfs cousin saw how cute our pup was she got hers from him a few days later had her about a week and had to go out of state where now she lives and the people she lives with dont want a pit so I dont know if she will ever come back for her and if not I would love to keep her but as I said I do not want to be selfish and be doing more harm by keeping her thats why im trying to find good ways of doing so and safe ways

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:24 am

What a nightmare. Well, lesson learned. Purchasing from irresponsible breeders (and referring a family member to do the same) isn't always the greatest plan. Is it possible for your BF to get ahold of his cousin to come back for the dog? I'm guessing the breeder isn't one who would offer to take the dog back. I'm generally not a fan of rehoming (because most people who look to rehome are simply backing out of their own irresponsibility), but in the case of someone just deciding to up and leave the dog in your care with no prior planning, I certainly wouldn't consider it a selfish move. If you feel overwhelmed and feel that this pup's life would benefit from being placed elsewhere, now would be the time to do it since she's still young. You've mentioned you don't have the funds to afford training, so I'd have to assume adding a second dog unexpectedly probably isn't going to help that fact. If you are looking to make that move, I'd start talking to bully rescues in your area and see who would be willing to help. If you decide to keep her, I'd start reading all the training books you can (anything written by qualified professionals, such as Jean Donaldson, Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, Pat Miller, or Leslie McDevitt are GREAT starts), keeping an eye on their behavior when together and calmly interrupting anything that looks like it could turn into a fight, and, when you have the finances, get into public classes or have a behavior consultant come out to your home to assess the both of them to help you understand what their triggers and motivations might be.

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm

We have talked to her she goes back and fourth now says she will get her maybe next month and then the answer will go back to she simply doesnt know at this point ill just say shes our baby as we have been the only humans she knows and have been the only ones paying for food and everything else she needs I know if she does come to get her ever its going to be hard after having her this time but it is her dog and im sure I cant tell her she cant have her anyways we didnt really refer her to this man she was with us when I picked up keila so she met him called him a few days later offered him less then what he wanted and he just said ok cause he was not finding theese babies home easily

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 pm

You'll find that this forum is very against backyard breeders, and for this exact reason. A responsible breeder would have had homes lined up for the pups in advance, only sell to responsible homes, and take the dog back if there ever was an issue with the family or person not being able to keep the dog. Unfortunately, a vast majority of the breeders out there aren't responsible and will sell their pups to whoever will give them money and don't have the dog's best interest in mind at ALL, and the dogs wind up in situations like this.

Its really your decision as to what you end up doing, but I personally am not in the business of cleaning up other people's messes. It sucks that you've been put in the position of doing so. If she's wishy-washy about weather or not she's even coming back to take responsibility for a dog that she paid for, then I'd say you might as well consider it your dog.

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:14 pm

I know she came from a bad place and im responsible for her :( but im trying to do the right thing and learn and work with her

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

maybe you want to ask a mod to split this into its own thread, so more members could offer advice?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:31 pm

Great post, Stormi. It IS a very complex issue and you laid it out there very nicely.

Nikki- Littermates, particularily females, it seems, will sometimes just NOT get along. I would tell your sister she has X amount of time to come get Angel. If she is unable to keep her, my advice to you would be to re-home her (since she is still a pup) I don't see the issues between the two girls as being anything easy to deal with long-term, but more importantly, without strict management and no slip ups, one or both of them will probably get hurt. It's one thing to go into a situation knowing you might be looking at crate/rotate, it is another when it is dumped on you. It is in the pups best interest if they are separated, IMO.

Good luck!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 am

Stormi,
Thanks for the great post! A wonderful summary.

If anyone is interested in reading about the training journey of Mr Tarzan, also known as Vanya, he now has a blog and training diary: http://www.tinyurl.com/vanyaproject

We're working with Sarah Kalnajs of Blue Dog Training in Madison to shape calmer behaviors around new dogs, so that eventually we can try to shape more appropriate play behavior. Vanya illustrates a number of Stormi's concepts.

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:29 am

First I wanted to thank you for posting this, it's very helpful and helped me break down certain behaviors I've confused for others. I still have loads to learn.

My question is, I just don't know where my dog stands in relation to all of these aggressive behaiors. She seems to exert more than one, but I've always been confused about her behavior toward other dogs and am still learning as much as I can by watching her, and research.

She gets extremely excited/overwhelmed when around other dogs. When she sees/hears/smells another dog, she starts a high pitched whine, her hair on the back of her neck and by her behind raises and she holds her tail high and wags it in short strokes quickly but mainly at the top of her tail. If that makes sense. If another dog approaches is around she will lower her body and pull me toward the dog (we are working on that), in a slow stalking type manner, if she approaches the dog or it approaches her, she gets really stiff, stares intently at the dog with her tail raised and head held high, and never smells, just waits for the dogs next movement, then begins to snarl, or lunge. She has/does get along with other dogs. She grew up with two dogs, they were seniors when she was a puppy and has also grown up with a now 1 yr old dog since she was 2, and a 4 month old puppy she adores. She seems to react more to other dogs when he is around, so we try to keep them separate completely at social outtings. He gets along great with other dogs.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's something that can be managed with training, something I can help her resolve to make the situations less stressful for her so she will get along better, or just how she is. She's my baby and I'll do whatever necessary to make her happy and give her everything I can. She's 3 years old this July, and was a stray I found at 4 weeks of age. She's extremely food motivated, and a very smart dog.

Thank you for reading all of this.

AlexInBoston
Newborn Bully

Postby AlexInBoston » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Hey Ams, our gy does that stalking thing sometimes too. We looked it up and it looks like he's exhibiting the first part of predatory aggressive behavior. If we stop him cold, distract him and pull him out of it, he'll usually quit it. Here's a link I found that describes it briefly:

http://responsibledog.net/aggressive_do ... ators.html

That sound like what your girl's doing?

I'd love to hear other peoples' opinions and tips about that "stalking." How concerned should we be?

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 pm

Great post :thumbsup: . i went through a few of these things with Yuhndis Behaviorist who has now got her graduated from aggression class and socializing with other dogs.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:49 pm

wonderful post! I do believe Arnold fits in the Tarzan category, our name for it around here is "social reject" :oops:

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Mon May 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Good post!

We're dealing with fear aggression in Dante - but he's getting a thousand times better with some carefully planned and supervised socialization. We have high hopes that he'll be able to rebound quite nicely, being that he was so young when the attack happened. Unfortunately spending the next 5 weeks in the shelter afterwards, didn't do him any favors socialization wise.

Return to “Training and Behavior”