How can I tell if its gonna be DA or just playing?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

How can I tell if its gonna be DA or just playing?

Postby PitBoxer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:44 pm

I have a almost 4 year old pit named Vida. Her biggest issue is being nervous/fearful whatever you wanna call it. I cant call her dog agressive because she isnt really, hasnt attacked or went after another dog. I tried socializinng her with other dogs but she never seems to really FULLY get it. She seems interested at times, but doesnt join in doggy play. Now, she has grown used to my neighbors dog (small beagle mix in pic) and likes her(I think). The thing is.. the other dog is super submissive. Vida hops around seemingly trying to play, but the other dog just rolls over and Vida just kinda backs off until she gets interested again, then repeat. Now I ask this because Vida is using her mouth alot, showing teeth at times when she jumps around/at the other dog. If/when the other dog doesnt roll over right away Vida gets a lil more intense. I dont really see any signs of aggression but I have never seen her really play with another dog but Im not positive if I should let it go or not because I get nervous when I see Vida showing teeth and jumping at the other dog. I know bully breeds play rough but this dog is small and probably not gonna be able to get rough. My mom usually takes her on the walks with the otehr dog cause she walks with the neighbor. I tell her to watch and if Vida seems outta hand pull her back. Like I said I haent seen agressive signs but since she doesnt have the experience and nor do I, I wanna be safe.

Another thing is.. my gf has a sheperd type mix about same height as Vida. Again, Vida doesnt show any outward signs of agression and she walks side by side with her, but she is fearful/nervous around other dogs that are pushy when meeting her. So if the dog tries to smell her butt or gets too close Vida gets away. No agression in it, just seems scared. Now after a few times she seems to get annoyed and kinda gets this look on her face and doesnt lunge or growl or really go after my gfs dog, its hard to explain but you can tell she doesnt like it. She forcefully shows her discomfort is the best way I can explain it. She doesnt pursuit but takes that action when the dog seems interested in her.

Anyone have advice for me?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Re: How can I tell if its gonna be DA or just playing?

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 pm

When she 'hops around' at the beagle mix, is her front end ever lowered toward the ground (like a bow?) If so, that is a play bow and signals to the other dogs that "I'm just playing, no harm meant" It can proceed what would be fight worthy behavior (teeth showing or really any of the wrestling type moves dogs like to do) without that 'JUST PLAYING!' disclaimer.
Do you have video of them interacting? Ideally you would not like to see one dog constantly submissiving to the other, it should be pretty even, with each dog having their turn as 'top dog'.

PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBoxer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 am

I see the play bow when she is jumping around yes. There is no top dog in the beagle mix lol, she is the most submissive dog I have seen. I dont think Vida is submissive as much as she fears pushy dogs. I will try to get a video the next time they are together.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Then the little Beagle mix has her own play issues to overcome as well. Play is very much a learned behavior (some of it is inate, like the desire to play) A pup that is picked on by littermates and doesn't interact with other dogs much past that may always take a submissive role (that's what they learned play WAS) until they learn otherwise. The same thing happens with dogs who always pushed other dogs around in litters, they may not learn to let the other dogs have a turn, which, in turn, can make them rude style players who take role changes to be a challenge instead of the natural trade off they should be, which makes them more prone to end up in fights.

sparky38351
Newborn Bully

Postby sparky38351 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 am

Ah, gotta love bully playing roflmao

My female didnt' know how to play when we got her, heck she didn't even know what toys were or what to do with them and she was 2! Luckly my big clumsy oaf of a male showed her how to properly do things! roflmao They are a huge riot sometimes!

Return to “Training and Behavior”