Bedwetting

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
blackeyedblonde
Newborn Bully

Bedwetting

Postby blackeyedblonde » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 am

My 7 week old puppy is a bed-wetter! I walk him every night before bedtime, but he's had 2 accidents. I know puppies have tiny bladders, but is it normal for them to go potty in the middle of the night?

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Bedwetting

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:59 am

I'm sure more people will chime in, but at 7 weeks these guys should still be with their mom. a full 8 weeks is the best time to seperate.

At 7 weeks they are just so little. I would say yes, get up and take him/her out. All you should have to do is plop them on they ground, step, step, step PEE and then back in to bed. You'll live. But, remember, make the trip outside quick or you're likely to get peed on in transport.

They are so easy to care for at that age. They just sleep, eat, poop/pee and play in about that order. Their muscles are still growing so much the bladder retention will happen on its own. But when you go to the vet this week or next you can always ask, but I think you'll find it's just age.

7 weeks! :inlove: ahhh the sweetness.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes. A 7 week old puppy can only hold it a few hours, I usually take them out 10-11pm before bed, get up at 2-3am and again at 6-7am, otherwise you will likely wake up to an accident. He's way too young to be expecting him to hold it all night long. And carrying them out is wise like pitbull-lady said or he might squat on the way.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 pm

blackeyedblonde wrote:My 7 week old puppy is a bed-wetter! I walk him every night before bedtime, but he's had 2 accidents. I know puppies have tiny bladders, but is it normal for them to go potty in the middle of the night?

This is liketelling someone your 4 month old baby isn't potty trained. This little puppy is a baby dog.

You can either wait for him to fuss and get up immediately and take him out or you can just set your alarm 3-5 hours into your night and take him out. Also, it's really important to have puppy go to sleep on an empty bladder.

Is he sleeping in a crate? If you continue to let him pee in his crate, he could learn that it's OK to pee in his crate and continue to pee there (or he could not). Totally depends.

Usually, puppy gets picked up and taken outside, make sure though he don't put a bunch of pressure on his bladder while carrying him. Then potty, praise and straight away to bed. No nights on, no loud voices, no playing.

blackeyedblonde
Newborn Bully

Postby blackeyedblonde » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm not at all opposed to getting up in the middle of the night to walk him or getting up early in the morning to walk him again. I just didn't know if it was normal for them to need to pee in the middle of the night when they have empty bladders and wanted to make sure it wasn't indicative of a health issue.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:13 am

blackeyedblonde wrote:I'm not at all opposed to getting up in the middle of the night to walk him or getting up early in the morning to walk him again. I just didn't know if it was normal for them to need to pee in the middle of the night when they have empty bladders and wanted to make sure it wasn't indicative of a health issue.

it's normal, and how would you know it's empty? Just because he goes out right before bed, doesn't mean it will all be out of his system... I took my puppy out every 2hrs, then every three when he was about 3mo... Now he is almost 5mo old, and sleeps through the whole night. Even if I sleep in, he won't go after 10hrs. Puppies don't like to pee where they sleep, so if he does pee it's because he's not getting out enoug.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 am

enough*

I also wanted to add that our puppy sleeps with us... so he's learned to let us know if he does have to go out in the middle of the night. Not sure if you are crate training or not, but even when our puppy started off in his crate he would whine when he needed out. Which again isn't something a 7wk old puppy is going to learn just yet.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 am

At your dogs age it should be going out to potty approximately every three hours. The best advice I've learned on potty training is to add the number of months old your dog is plus one. So in your case, we'll say the dog is 8 weeks, since he's closer to that than 4. So that would be two months. Two plus one equals 3hours.

Good luck!

Are you crate training? It's a very valuable tool to consider if you're not already using it.

Return to “Training and Behavior”