Jumping need help!!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Jumping need help!!

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:30 am

Kahne is my 1 year old am staff mix who LOVES to jump on people and in the air just for fun. Hes always been great about not jumping on kids he seems to understand he could knock them over by jumping and just sits to be petted when he sees a child. But with adults its a different story he will launch himself at people (in friendly hey look at me way) i have tried so hard to tell people just turn your back to him when he does it and only pet him with four feet on the ground. which works sometimes but most of the time we end up standing there for 10 or more min turning around like its a game to him. any ideas on other ways the break jumping?

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Re: Jumping need help!!

Postby haircrazie016 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 am

my dog Piggie loves to jump up on people, and since we want her to get her cgc we've been working on this a lot.

what we have done is put greetings on que. When we see a person who looks like they are going to want to say hi, I tell piggie to "go say hello" and about a foot away from the person I ask her to sit, before they can pet her. If she jumps up WE walk away, not far, just a few steps in the other direction, and then I say it again "go say hello" and ask her to sit before they can pet her. Shes gotten pretty good but its still a work in progress.

For a friends dog whos a really enthusiastic jumper we did this coupled with a touch command, We just ask the person to put their hand flat out and tell him to go touch, if hes touching a hand hes not jumping, so that works for him!

sunnygirl01
Adolescent Bully

Re: Jumping need help!!

Postby sunnygirl01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:36 pm

haircrazie016 wrote:my dog Piggie loves to jump up on people, and since we want her to get her cgc we've been working on this a lot.

what we have done is put greetings on que. When we see a person who looks like they are going to want to say hi, I tell piggie to "go say hello" and about a foot away from the person I ask her to sit, before they can pet her. If she jumps up WE walk away, not far, just a few steps in the other direction, and then I say it again "go say hello" and ask her to sit before they can pet her. Shes gotten pretty good but its still a work in progress.

For a friends dog whos a really enthusiastic jumper we did this coupled with a touch command, We just ask the person to put their hand flat out and tell him to go touch, if hes touching a hand hes not jumping, so that works for him!

:wow ****GASP**** Not my Piggie! She always looks so reserved. I imagine her as a stately queen....sitting upon the highest throne....her will be done. Lol! She is so beautiful. I have to go and look at her pictures every day.
Thank you for the excellent idea on greeting people. I am going to have to try that. Bella is super excitable when it comes to people and no command works at all (okay..for more than a second....). The problem I have is that people will not listen to me when I tell them to ignore her only look at her if she has four feet on the ground.

*sigh* Training people is sooooo hard!

Return to “Training and Behavior”