Resource guarding

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Resource guarding

Postby Red » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 pm

The video below is an example of what NOT to do, ever , in front of resource guarding and so many other situations.What happens in the video below is not only asinine and ignorant, but it creates farther damage.

Here is an educated description on what is seen, by Mr. Jim Crosby:

"At 00:01 the Famous Dog Trainer (hereafter FDT) places a bowl of food in front of the dog. The dog approaches the food and the FDT stares directly at the dog through 00:09. As the dog averts her gaze, turns her head to the side and down, showing a clear appeasement signal ("submission" in some people's terms) the FDT says "that's unsure, that's not submission". The FDT then tells the dog (at 00:11) "good girl" and she begins to eat, ignoring the FDT.

At 00:17 the FDT moves his body directly over the eating dog and the food bowl in a low crouch. He is staring directly at the dog, frontally positioned. Dog gives a warning air snap with no physical contact, showing bite control and basic restraint.

At 00:18 FDT strikes the dog in the left side of her neck with his right hand. The dog retreats, baring teeth and growling, giving both audible and postural warning of discomfort and desire for the FDT to retreat. The FDT pursues the dog past the food bowl, still in a frontal posture, low crouch, and staring, directly challenging the dog. The dog gives another air snap and snarl of warning (00:22). The dog is backed up, but shows restraint by not pursuing the FDT, but instead gives (2) appeasement (submissive) licks (00:23 and 00:24), closes her mouth, gives seven (7) further appeasement licks, averts her gaze (00:28), gives an audible warning snarl (00:33), gives six (6) more licks and averts her gaze repeatedly while the FDT maintains his frontal threatening position and stare, challenging the dog and failing to respond to the many appeasement gestures. At 00:41 the dog looks the FDT in the eye, immediately averts her gaze, and looks around for an avenue of flight from this strange, aggressive person. The FDT maintains his overtly challenging threat posture.

At 00:47, looking confused, the dog voluntarily lies down without command or input, yawns, and tries to disengage. The FDT turns to the audience and talks. While talking the FDT leans back, averts his face and gaze to address the audience, withdraws his outstretched leg and frontally-positioned body, and the dog calms more. The dog remains down, looking around with closed mouth, soft eyes, and appears relaxed through 1:10.

At 1:10 the FDT has risen up to his feet and, leaning over, extends his hand over the top of the dog's muzzle (an overtly dominant gesture). The dog again warns the FDT with an air snap (1:12) and exposed teeth that she is still uncomfortable being closely approached by the FDT, trying to get the FDT to draw back. The dog then rapidly bites the FDT's leading, ungloved and unprotected hand-the same hand he struck her with before. The FDT kicks the dog and the dog retreats toward a corner where a photographer is standing. The dog never redirects toward the photographer. As the dog backs up the FDT pursues, frontal and challenging. The dog growls, bares her teeth, gives "hard eyes" and in general tries to get some space away from the FDT. The dog is now up against a fence and has no room to retreat.

At 1:20 the FDT stops advancing just in front of the dog, who is backed up against the fence. The dog relaxes her face, closes her mouth, gives repeated appeasement licks and averts her gaze from the FDT, who is still staring the dog down. The dog still shows tension, but does not pursue or otherwise engage the FDT. She holds her ground as there is no where else to go. At 1:25 you can see clearly that the dog is backed up against the fence.

The dog holds her position and calms, showing softened eyes, slack mouth, repeatedly averted gaze (1:43) and does not engage or show any aggressive display towards the FDT, even at close range as the FDT stands facing directly and standing over her, even as he gets a drink of water and washes off his bitten hand. The dog still (1:53) has no place to retreat.

At 1:58 we can clearly see another appeasement lick, ears down, eyes softened, mouth closed. At 2:00 a note appears on the screen "Elapsed time 3 min 6 sec" apparently illustrating the time the FDT has had the dog cornered against the fence. At 2:03 you can clearly see that the dog is holding a body position that is angled away from the FDT and curved (submissive/appeasement signals) to try and defuse the encounter. The dog is blinking, averting her gaze, ears down, with the angled body, all indicative of appeasement (submission) when the camera man says at 2:06 "She's still not submissive". The FDT states "No" as the dog again turns her head away and down. At 2:33 the dog is still standing quietly, body angled and in a crescent, gaze averted, ears down, backed up against the fence. The dog has a relaxed mouth continuing a non-confrontational posture through the on-screen marker that says "5 min 4 sec" (2:42 video time). FDT turns away and walks off, back turned to the dog. The dog makes no effort to pursue or attack-she simply stays up against the fence."

gerry
Newborn Bully

Postby gerry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Hey, Red: regarding your Dog Whisperer post and video, I think you may be missing the point here. I handle many resource guarders and aggressive dogs and, IMHO, this was the BEST example I've seen on how to teach a dog to attack and bite a person. Without any practice, the dog got it perfectly correct the very first time! And was ready to go for a 2nd try!

I'm downloading a copy of that video, so that the next time somebody asks why I never get bitten I can just show the video of what I DON'T do.

Thalia_Cache
Newborn Bully

Postby Thalia_Cache » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Our newest addition, Cache, seems to do this with toys. At first, it seemed like it was just with the stuffed toys inside the house until we were in the back acreage and I was playing frisbee with her and Thalia. They got into a pretty good scrap when Thalia got the frisbee. I broke them up and hid the frisbee. It's weird though because we had all 4 dogs out in the back acreage yesterday and Thalia found the frisbee and started running around with it, which I thought was going to start a fight for sure, but Cache just picked up a stick and was more than content with that.

Return to “Training and Behavior”