How many think this is worth a laugh?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
chako
Bully Ambassador

Re: How many think this is worth a laugh?

Postby chako » Sat May 28, 2011 12:04 am

Good post, Sarah. I read all three pages of this and have to say I find this discussion interesting (and a couple of times even a tiny bit absurd) in the twists and turns it has taken.

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 am

I mean yes it is a very far leap to say someone beats their dog. But you can't blame everything on genetics or just simply how the dog is. Fortunately I have never owned or seen a dog with that temperament without someone doing something to it. But as stated, Yes I know nothing about this dog or its owner. We do not. And Ruling out this dog has never been abused in its life is just as observed as me saying it has. And honestly? The man is mentally abusing the dog in the video.There are many different forms of abuse. I say 'beat' but I don't always mean with a 2x4 or your fist; I use the term for words also. Your words and all out energy can be just as harmful to your pet as you raising your fist or throwing things at them. Where you think this dog was just born this way, I think this dog was made into this.

^
And only because I have seen it. I have seen many labs bred next door and all of them made great pets in the area (Yes I would see them here and there the ones who was lucky to live long enough to reach adult hood). The ones who did not where the ones my neighbor owned and that was because he would literally beat and throw his labs to the ground for escaping their pen. I have only seen the 'guilty' don't hurt me look when a dog finds the things around them threatening and obviously the dog was finding its owner threatening and was scared it was going to get hurt.

But that doesn't say to if the dog was really beaten or yelled at or whatever. It was MO simply because I have seen it. with other dogs. Does it make me anymore right or wrong for assuming? No, and until the owner can say rather he does or does not or has been caught doing it or not; we will never now.

And I would hate to see how many times he recorded this until he finally got what he wanted. I feel very bad for this dog. The owner is clearly a Butt hole and doesn't know what kind of mental damage he is doing to his dog.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat May 28, 2011 12:51 am

SnowKoi2010 wrote:And I would hate to see how many times he recorded this until he finally got what he wanted. I feel very bad for this dog. The owner is clearly a Butt hole and doesn't know what kind of mental damage he is doing to his dog.

I don't think the owner is a "butt hole", I think he is ignorant. He doesn't know that he's stressing his dog. I would only think he was a jerk if he was doing it with full knowledge that he was distressing his pet. And while I'm sure he's done this with his dog before, to know that this is what she tends to do, I doubt it was done repeatedly for this video. I would guess that he said "hey, this time let's get that thing Macey does on video, it's funny", and off they thoughtlessly went.

And just because you know a family of Labs that are oblivious to stressors, doesn't mean all of them are like that. Shockingly, dogs are all individuals.

I think there is just way too much assumption being made here. Not funny and unfair to the dog? Yes. But there is no need to invent stuff to make it worse. Use it as a learning tool based on what you see, not what you imagine.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat May 28, 2011 6:34 am

:goodpost:

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat May 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Also might I add, no one was blaming it on just genetics. They were saying it's a possibility. Never be quick to jump to a conclusion without properly analyzing everything and educated one's self about the subject, and what could cause it.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

How many think this is worth a laugh?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat May 28, 2011 5:17 pm

I did not see if anyone mentioned Pat McConnell's response. Even she could not watch the entire thing.

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/gu ... iral-video

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:57 pm

IMO now that this video has blown up so huge and some of the top names in canine behavior science like Patricia McConnell have commented on the clear stress signals the dog is giving and that it has nothing to do with "guilt", if the owners don't take that information, acknowledge it, and do what is necessary to stop stressing their dogs out then I wouldn't consider them "good" owners. They also have a responsibility to inform the millions of people who have viewed the video to correct the assumptions and the "guilty dog" myth that is now even more cemented in the minds of millions of dog owners.

It would be very sad if they squander this unprecedented opportunity to help by furthering peoples knowledge and understanding of dog behavior and body language. What I wouldn't give to have Patricia McConnell comment and give her professional opinion on my own dog's behaviors! I hope they take advantage of it and stop using this video to perpetuate the "guilty" dog myth that is so harmful to the relationship between dogs and their owners.

keylow
Newborn Bully

Postby keylow » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:03 pm

to funny roflmao

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 pm

keylow wrote:to funny roflmao

Did you bother to read the whole thread or you are trying to be somewhat funny?

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:32 am

I'm thinking that with a few more seconds of that nonsense, we might have seen an airsnap, or even an "unprovoked" warning bite. Did I imagine it, or did Denver give a hard stare just before the owner sent him to the kennel? And I swear that Denver looked relieved on being sent away, though his body language was still pretty subdued as he exited. :dunno: I guess it's useful to have video of what a stessed-out dog looks like. Sad though, that the world at large doesn't recognize it for what it is. And I'd sure love Denver's owners to ingest For the Love of a Dog and The Other End of the Leash.

Lioness
Newborn Bully

Postby Lioness » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Honestly, the video gave me this impression:

The owner is ignorant and simply does not "speak dog".
The dog is probably highly sensitive, and the owner has observed this and thinks it's funny when she makes those faces, "grins", puts her head down, etc.. and understandably so, being that he apparently doesn't understand the message she is trying to send. If I didn't get the message I would feel the same way - it's a funny face.

I can't bring myself to believe that the kitty treat bag was ransacked by any sort of dog The opening is tiny, there aren't many chew marks, and the pieces were all arranged nicely. It could have been the cat, sure, but my thought is this: The owner was the one getting into the cat treats.

The dog makes funny faces, she looks guilty, so let's stage a scene for a video.

The truly sad part is that the people who see it and don't understand the dog either will perpetuate their misunderstanding if they see another dog doing it, which could potentially lead to fear-based aggression.

Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I surely just learned something. I thought it was funny until i read the thread.
Makes much more sense now, and its pathetic and sad.

nicolegrantier
Newborn Bully

Postby nicolegrantier » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:I surely just learned something. I thought it was funny until i read the thread.
Makes much more sense now, and its pathetic and sad.

Thanks for your honesty here. I think many, many, well meaning dog owners do stupid things simply because they don't know better. I am guessing this was the case in the video. When I look back and the way I handled my dogs when I was younger and compare it to how I handle them now it is night and day. I've always loved my dogs and done what I thought was best for them...but I admit I didn't have a lot of knowledge under my belt for many years. I never hit them or anything like that but I'm sure that I did many things that would have been considered cruel or ineffective by the experts. I've learned a TON in the last few years, and continue to seek out more information, but I'm sure I mess up all the time. I'd hate to think that people would bash me or say my dogs should be removed from my home because of it. My dogs are like children to me...

Honestly, how many dogs and dog owners are there in the world? And how many of them actually understand canine behavior? My guess is probably 1% or so...So what do "we" do about the other 99% ? I bet a good portion of that 99% are well meaning...sigh....it's sad but true. All "we" can do is KINDLY offer information. I fear that attaks on ignorance will only drive those who don't understand away from any information they could benefit from. I bet the man who posted that video was SHOCKED and the amount of nagative feedback he recieved. What is the old saying? You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

highflyergirl19
Adolescent Bully

Postby highflyergirl19 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:03 pm

:goodpost:

I was afraid to post that I was one of the ones that thought it was funny at first. I didn't want to be labelled ignorant or a dog abuser because I simply don't know that much about dog behavior. I have learned a lot from being on this forum and reading and studying what the behaviorists and trainers on this board have said. Just reading this thread has been very informative.

I have no doubt in my mind that the dog's owner just doesn't know anything about dog behavior. I don't think for a second that he beats his dog or that he is a horrible owner. We all have something to learn and I hope there is someone out there that can gently guide him in the right direction instead of accusing him of abuse.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:50 am

Kudos to you, highflyer. Thinking back, when I joined PBF, I might have found the video funny. It's hard to remember.

For me, it points up the injustice of discrimination against Pit Bulls. If that dog were to bite his owner, the general public foolishly would dismiss it as incomprehensible, a one-time event, and would not prejudge others of its breed. If the dog were a Pit Bull Terrier though, and bit his owner... I shudder to think of it.

It also points up how flexible and forgiving dogs are in general. Most of the time, they manage to live with us without incident, even though we're quite ignorant of very basic things about them. It's pretty amazing.

Return to “Training and Behavior”