Barking, BARKING & more, bark*ing, shaping better behavior?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Barking, BARKING & more, bark*ing, shaping better behavior?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Barking, BARKING, or bark*ing... No matter what the tone, I've had enough this past weekend to do me good for a while :)

We had Flower on a road trip this past week and she was in a lot of different scenarios at once that did not produce the greatest of behaviours. I'm looking for advice PBF, please direct me to your methods, previous posts, methods in books, WHATEVER can work. I know if I can make it fun to learn she'll do fine. She does great with a clicker BTW. 

The first night we were at my dad's and she barked at every cricket farting in the yard. I saw it as excitement and first night jitters away from home. My dad loves dogs, loves Flower, no problem with people, just a new situation.

Next day we get to my in laws. This has been a safe place that she has been to multiple times and done fine. No major barking fits and she had settled into the house rhythms and noises just like it was her house. 

My in laws house is big and there were 7 of us staying there. First day, Flower starts barking at everything that could be alarming and continues through Saturday. Doors, noises, People coming in the house. People putting on hats. People coming and going up and down the stairs, people opening doors etc. The barks were all over the place too, i could not decipher what they were from sometimes. We had the inquisitive pip of a bark, to the bark! what's going on, to the who in the F is in the house i want to get you bark.

It was like she was on edge just waiting for the next noise. Some times there would be piloerection and tense body, no bared teeth. Rarely is it an actual full on piloerection fit of fear and worry but just a concerned bark and then run to the source of the noise. She always runs toward it, never away from it.

Not having dealt with this before, it was tough to know what to do. I tried to take her on enough walks and play with her and toys and encourage everyone to pet her and have fun etc. but we were there to be and do things with family so we were in and out a lot too. Even still she spent little time in her crate as there was typically myself or my husband there with her outside or inside.

She was able to relax and enjoy herself at times, typically that was when a lot was going on. but it was difficult to know what would get her interest and change that mood. I often would think "where is she" and she would be right under my feet at the table. So she did just hang like normal.

:twisted: The only 'thing' that i know was different was back in February my inlaws came to town and Flower interacted with my FIL 'more' than usual. He does things wierd, his own drummer, right or wrong. He decided to sit and stare at Flower which of course she was not happy about but we were able to get her distracted enough so the visit was tolerable. Before you all say to say something to him, we can't make him stop, he is just stubborn and knows better. So it is  "us" that has to change or improve the situation around him. However  I also figure that if i want to create a solid dog, i need her to adapt to different situations even if we put her in them or it is just some random idiot on the street. In this case she 'knew' the person. :twisted:

This visit, he was no better. My FIL kept doing things like knocking on doors, staring at her and moving in manners that I perceived as aggressive. Lets just say he had no dog manners or people manners. He also has some neuropathy because of diabetes so he often walks like a robot, very weird for anyone to see let alone a dog. We also had another person in the house that was disabled and he was no better, but his walking issues are because of his stroke, not choice. So he drags one of his feet sort of. But that has not been an issue with her before. She is our dog that gets over that kind of thing pretty quickly and moves on to the next thing. She normally looks sees and moves on. 

Last night we stopped at my dad's again. She was so relieved to be there it was like she could breathe. She was her happy go-lucky self. No barking. She and Trixie the poodle got along well and we all went to bed without issue. 

We still plan on taking her on family vacation with us (different family group BTW) but I want to work on this undesirable behavior BEFORE we get to there in 2 months. I want to know how to deal with this especially when removing ourselves from the 'place' is not an option.
:hero: I want to set her for success! :hero:

I'm sure several of you are saying just kennel her, we really don't want to kennel her especially since she is typically a dog with a care less attitude.  Loves people, loves kids, normally just chilling out. I don't think removing her from the situation is the solution. Being a mom that has the skills to shape the behavior to make her a confident dog in this kind of solution that will serve us for a long time to come. She is only 1 1/2 after all, we have a long life ahead.

Thank you for reading all of this. Please help us get better and set Flower up for success. :hero:

MikeInTacoma

Re: Barking, BARKING & more, bark*ing, shaping better behavi

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 pm

This one comes up a lot. (Hmm -- maybe we need a sticky.) Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to do it justice. Best I can advise is, search at Google with site:pitbullforum.com as one of your search terms, and you'll get some useful hits. Such as:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=131183

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Barking, BARKING & more, bark*ing, shaping better behavi

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:39 am

Hey, thanks for posting that Mike. I forgot about Tiva's link.

I've been trying to work on little things, but it is difficult to replicate a limping diabetic for I can try. I was actually really impressed, last night I had Flower at a Civil War reenactment. She was AWESOME! No barking at the cannons or rifles. Granted, she was doing well, until they continued with the cannon and then it was flight time.

She really did awesome. No barking or anything. I was shocked, that is, knowing her other barking preferences.

Return to “Training and Behavior”