Motorycycles and Pit Bulls

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
MikeInTacoma

Re: Motorycycles and Pit Bulls

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Is it the noise they make that sets him off? Try making a recording with a tape recorder or an ipod, play the sound at very low volume -- low enough so he notices it but doesn't freak out. When you see him notice the sound, click and treat; build up a tolerance from there.

He shouldn't be able to chase them and bite the tailpipes (that makes me think it's the exhaust noise that sets him off). You'll need to keep him on a leash or behind a fence, for his own safety.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I would say after he is used to the noise on the recorder or ipod, which will take several training sessions... that you do things in real life. First with the sight of a bike. Then closer, and closer. Start over with the bike far away, but on... then closer and closer. Remember not to set the dog up to fail.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:00 am

My dog hates motorcycles. She barks at them when they are next to us in the vehicle. ONLY if the person has a helmet on though. She seems to associate the noise with the helmet as well because she will growl or bark if she hears a motorcycle but will stop as soon as she sees it is a helmetless person. She goes past a parked motorcycle fine on walks. I never have her off leash in an open area for her to chase them, but I don't think she would. She's scared of them. One of the very, very few things my goofy, curious dog is scared of. We don't see them enough to try and desensitize her to them. (most people don't wear helmets around here) I just talk her down when it does happen.

I can always calm her down by consoling her or telling her to calm.

Return to “Training and Behavior”