Excessive panting

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Jellin
BANNED

Excessive panting

Postby Jellin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:17 pm

It dosnt matter if its freezing or hot, my bully starts panting as soon as we leave the house. It sounds crazy (literally) too, like a fat guy with a stuffy nose trying to breathe after a marathon. It dosnt effect his mood at all, actually makes him more acceptable of other dogs. He dosnt shiver like he is scared. Actually there are no other symptoms or mood alterations. Just the panting. He pants so hard it shakes my sedan (4000lb car). Any ideas?

Leslie H

Re: Excessive panting

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:28 pm

It sounds like a combination of 2 things. Panting is often a sign of stress, especially if the tongue is curled upwards at the end, rather than flattened out.
Noisy panting (and breathing), as well as a tendency to choke and cough when eating or drinking can be indicative of an elongated soft palate, a fairly common condition, most common in shorter muzzled dog. The flesh of the palate partially obstructes the airway. These dogs overheat easily

These are just possibilities, it's hard to really guess accurately w/out seeing your dog.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Leslie H wrote:It sounds like a combination of 2 things. Panting is often a sign of stress, especially if the tongue is curled upwards at the end, rather than flattened out.
Noisy panting (and breathing), as well as a tendency to choke and cough when eating or drinking can be indicative of an elongated soft palate, a fairly common condition, most common in shorter muzzled dog. The flesh of the palate partially obstructes the airway. These dogs overheat easily

These are just possibilities, it's hard to really guess accurately w/out seeing your dog.

He is short/ fat so the soft palate is probably the answer. He overheats easier than my french bulldog. For a pit, he has a really short muzzle and a really fat head (razors edge). He is what most people here would call an american bully. Do you think you can link a photo of the back of a mouth that has this condition?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:21 pm

When I was speaking w/a vet about this condition, he told me they needed to use a scope w/the dog knocked out to verify. However, if you've got a RE bully, I would suspect this is most likely your problem. Please take care your dog doesn't overheat. Once they get hot, the tissue swells and partially obstructs the airway, making it harder for your dog to cool off, and to breathe at all.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:41 pm

yes. i had this problem today and since water(dunking in cool water) itself wasnt enough to cool him down, i had to hold ice cubes in his mouth between his lips and gums to get hit blood to cool a little while i had him splayed on a wet cool surface. today was the worst that ive ever seen it. sure freaked me out.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:54 am

I wouldn't want to go outdoors in Houston this time of year either! Quit abusing your dog! :) jk

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

When using water to cool a dog, don't wet his back/top, the fur can act as insulation and trap heat. It is best to run cool water on his underarms, groin and belly, where the blood vessels are close to the skin.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Leslie H wrote:When using water to cool a dog, don't wet his back/top, the fur can act as insulation and trap heat. It is best to run cool water on his underarms, groin and belly, where the blood vessels are close to the skin.

:goodpost:
thats what I do for my guys, I also give lots of ice cubes on hot days and use cooling collars (i got 2 outward hound on ebay for 10 bucks). We also got a cheap plastic pool for them.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 pm

my bully hates having his coat wet anyways, i always let him splay out on a cool surface like a tile floor or a wet floor. he is a little fat but i cant deny my boy a raw chicken wing or a cheese burger from wendys every now and then.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Jellin wrote:my bully hates having his coat wet anyways, i always let him splay out on a cool surface like a tile floor or a wet floor. he is a little fat but i cant deny my boy a raw chicken wing or a cheese burger from wendys every now and then.

being fat isnt only bad for overheating, it is also hard on the joints and bad for the organs as well, it is in your dogs best interest to be at a good weight... raw chicken wings arent a big deal (my dogs eat raw), and even burgers every now and again, chances are you need to cut back on his kibble. You will not only improve his quality of life but you will also prolong it.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 pm

starrlamia wrote:
Jellin wrote:my bully hates having his coat wet anyways, i always let him splay out on a cool surface like a tile floor or a wet floor. he is a little fat but i cant deny my boy a raw chicken wing or a cheese burger from wendys every now and then.

being fat isnt only bad for overheating, it is also hard on the joints and bad for the organs as well, it is in your dogs best interest to be at a good weight... raw chicken wings arent a big deal (my dogs eat raw), and even burgers every now and again, chances are you need to cut back on his kibble. You will not only improve his quality of life but you will also prolong it.

he's just a little fat. and if my little plumper wants some cake, i wont deny. if you didnt know, fat kids love cake! jk yall. he's only a little fat.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:00 am

It could also be his heart.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm

FransterDoo wrote:It could also be his heart.

very true, esp if he is overweight (i dont know how fat he is lol! ), is he on heartworm medications?

haha trust me I know fat kids love cake! (mmmm) but it really is harder on the system to be overweight, and esp if your dog is brachycephalic (shorter muzzle etc) it can increase breathing issues.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:15 pm

i doubt its his heart. he is on hw prevention. the air blocking issue seems to be the problem. is there a surgical fix for this, and what kind of costs am i looking at.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I would take the dog to the vet and have this checked. If he has an elongated soft palate, it can be repaired, and if not repaired, the dog can drop dead at any time. Heart problems are also quite serious, and there are plenty of potential heart problems other than heartworms.

Return to “Training and Behavior”