Biting kids when they're being picked up (for a friend)

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Biting kids when they're being picked up (for a friend)

Postby jrowephoto » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:51 am

Good morning everyone,

I have a really good friend of mine that has a problem with her mini-australian shephard and i thought I would ask all of your opinion on it. She's dating a guy that has 2 kids, 1 about 6 years old and another about 3. Anytime she goes to pick up the 3 year old, her mini-australian shephard bites the little girl. It's not a grab hold of and hold on, but a quick bite, but breaks the skin and as you can guess scares the kid to death.

She does not bite any other time but this, but is definitely a huge problem. The dog is spoiled, does not have any training (does not know sit, stay, nothing) and is your typical spoiled rotten mommas girl of a lapdog. Unfortunately, it hasn't been given any basic obedience training whatsoever.

My friend is at a road now where her boyfriend's ex-wife and mother of the children is of course worried about the safety of her children around this dog, so she has to make a decision pretty quickly.

Any help / advice is appreciated.
Thank you!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Re: Biting kids when they're being picked up (for a friend)

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:05 am

Most dogs don't like things lifted over their heads, so that's probably what's triggering it.

Nothing at all can be done if these people aren't willing to train their dog. Untrained/managed dogs can be very dangerous, especially to children.
A dog who breaks the skin of a child (Especially when it's on multiple accounts) with it's teeth is doomed for euthanasia in most cases, when the law gets involved.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:49 pm

:goodpost:

You said it yourself jrowe. The dog is spoiled without even basic manners. Some people just aren't willing to help themselves.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:24 pm

sounds like the dog is doing her version of 'helping' to heard the kid , a trait of her pedigree. so many times people get herding breeds with young children and when the dog is not shown how to live with the children properly, it's a dead dog. why in the hell don't people do their research is beyond me

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

I'd say the only decision she needs to make is to stop being lazy and train her dog

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 am

X2 on the being lazy part, training the dog is the way to go.

This dog is a herding breed and of course he wants the kids to ''stay'' together, the dog does not really bite but he's ''nipping'' like border collies etc. do while herding cattle. It can be trained, but it takes time and someone who's willing to change this behavior. I feel bad for the dog since its normal behavior for a herding breed, and most likely this smart dog does not get enough physical and mental excersise, herding breeds like border collies and australian shepards are not for everyone....

Return to “Training and Behavior”