I can't find anything I can understand or use on Tracking

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
randomroads
Matured Bully

I can't find anything I can understand or use on Tracking

Postby randomroads » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 pm

I've been searching off and on for the past year for info on tracking. There was a seminar here in early Spring on tracking, but of course work got in the way and I was unable to attend. There are no groups here, besides Schutzhund, that train tracking, as far as I know. No trainers, no clubs, no classes, no nothing!

So does anyone have any suggestions on GOOD, EASY TO FOLLOW books on training dogs to track for fun and exercise? What about videos?

BabyReba

Re: I can't find anything I can understand or use on Trackin

Postby BabyReba » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:59 pm

just to clarify--NOT on schutzhund tracking? is it AKC-style that you are looking for?

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:18 pm

I don't even understand the difference between the two, except that they're different titles. Any info you might have on either will work, since I'll be able to take what I want from it.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:37 pm

OK ... well we've trialed and titled in schutzhund tracking, but I've never done anything with AKC ... one of the main differences, as I understand it, is that AKC is OK with a dog "air scenting" (ie, lifting its head and capturing scent from the air/breeze, etc.) whereas in tracking, a dog is supposed to be trained to keep its nose deep and close to the ground. air scenting isn't favorable.

I know this isn't how a lot of people teach tracking these days, and some people have all sorts of newer and more modern ways of teaching tracking, but I've personally always found Armin Winkler's articles on schutzhund tracking to be super easy to follow/understand and useful.

http://www.schutzhundvillage.com/nose1.html

In teaching tracking for me and my dog, I found that not rushing the entry-level stages/foundation building to be key ... we spent a lot of time associating scent with food by feeding ONLY from the ground for months. he ate every meal from a scent pad (ie, an area of grass that i trampled down first, littered with kibble) for a long time to just build a positive association with scenting.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:49 am

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:51 am

AKC is extremely similar to SchH tracking except closer to your 3 track because someone always lays your track for you in AKC and in your schutzhund 1 & 2 you lay your own track.

We're training our two to do both AKC and Sch tracking and it won't be a difficult distinction from what we understand (we train with people in both camps).

We start with scent pads, stomp out a square and drop a bunch of treats in this area. Once the dog is almost down with finding all the treats pull the dog off the pad. When it is clear the dog is seeking the stomped grass as opposed to undisturbed grass we move on to short straight tracks with a treat in each step. Eventually you'll wean the treats off to every other, every 3rd, every 5th, every 10th step and then move into articles. Treat your turns heavily and round them. Make sure to let your dog work things out, don't over help them, and build on your tracks only when the dog is stable. Also, help your dog out, find nice, clean, thick grass and track early in the morning or tilled farm dirt is even better.

This is my dog a year ago

(Start about 1:45 for the tracking, sorry)

Things I've learned since, loosen the lead, give them room to mess up. Don't be so controlling, take a couple steps back. Tracking isn't exactly a team sport, you're there for back up and they need to figure out the track themselves. If they get lost, shut up, give them a bit of time to find it. If they're really, really lost, calmly direct your hand back to the track and repeat "zuke" or "track". Also if they're having difficulty or the track is ruined pull them off and reward huge before they get disappointed themselves.

It's a lot of fun. Las Vegas is one of the worse places to track, ever, so we only track once a week right now at that business park. We're trying to find some good dirt to track in because most trials will be in tilled farm dirt in california or utah but right now we're coming up empty handed.

I'll see if I can find any earlier or later videos.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:09 am

BabyReba wrote:OK ... well we've trialed and titled in schutzhund tracking, but I've never done anything with AKC ... one of the main differences, as I understand it, is that AKC is OK with a dog "air scenting" (ie, lifting its head and capturing scent from the air/breeze, etc.) whereas in tracking, a dog is supposed to be trained to keep its nose deep and close to the ground. air scenting isn't favorable.

I know this isn't how a lot of people teach tracking these days, and some people have all sorts of newer and more modern ways of teaching tracking, but I've personally always found Armin Winkler's articles on schutzhund tracking to be super easy to follow/understand and useful.

http://www.schutzhundvillage.com/nose1.html

In teaching tracking for me and my dog, I found that not rushing the entry-level stages/foundation building to be key ... we spent a lot of time associating scent with food by feeding ONLY from the ground for months. he ate every meal from a scent pad (ie, an area of grass that i trampled down first, littered with kibble) for a long time to just build a positive association with scenting.

:goodpost: (I didn't read everyones post before I posted mine :oops: )

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks for the links and video.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Not sure if I can help as I do Search and Rescue tracking...it's quite different IMO.

Kevin Kocher http://www.amazon.com/Train-Police-Bloo ... 024&sr=8-1
has a great book for SAR tracking/trailing. He builds a solid foundation. We do trailing mostly. Not many of our problems in the real world are tracks. We want to follow human scent and not the crushed vegetation. Also, IMO trailing is way more applicable in the real world due to wind, weather, etc.. I know many of you are doing SCH tracking and ACK tracking so my methods might not apply much.

Video of K9 Eve running a 17hr old much of it hard surface trail

Any way I can help let me know.
Lunchbucket

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I used Carolyn Krause's "Try Tracking!: The Puppy Tracking Primer" for my adult dog, and it was lots of fun. I was aiming for a fun, calming activity for my Vanya, rather than aiming for trials. Krause does give a fair bit of information for folks who want to compete in tracking. She lays out the basics in clear chapters, and Vanya certainly finds it all very entertaining (and calming).

The yahoo group Tracking_Dog was really helpful when I was learning.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I can't stand yahoo groups. I have never been able to understand the format. Seeing a theme here, yet? I have never heard of the book, though, so I will definitely see if I can find it! Thanks so much, Lunchbucket. I loved watching the video. It looks like she really enjoys her job.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:35 am

Return to “Training and Behavior”