How do i stop abby from licking people??

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

How do i stop abby from licking people??

Postby abbybaby2011 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Abby is 10 months old, and along with some minor things, we have the major issue of her licking everyone ALL the time. When we have friends over I usually have to cage her because of her geting so excited and acting like a wild animal & licking them everywhere. A friend suggested putting hot sauce on my hands when interacting with her to break her from it. I found that a little harsh, so I tried THUMB, that did not work at all. I think she actually enjoyed the taste lol I tell her No, and that helps, but only for a few minutes. I have tried punishment, ignoring it, just about everything I can think of & I cant find any permanant solutions. Any suggestions??

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Re: How do i stop abby from licking people??

Postby abbybaby2011 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:51 pm

I posted something like this previously, and ILoveThePits suggested that I create a new post, narrowing down my subject in hopes of much needed assistance. Thank You! :thumbsup:

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 pm

No advice... my dog obsessively licks people too.. But I bought a fetching tag that says "I will lick you" :tongue:

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 pm

ewwies wrote:No advice... my dog obsessively licks people too.. But I bought a fetching tag that says "I will lick you" :tongue:

how funny maybe that is what we should do roflmao

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:38 pm

My Lala used to lick us constantly, and though we appreciated her affection it made it hard to fall asleep. roflmao
What we did was teach her "get your toy" with a squeaky rubber bone she really loved. I think trainers have a fancy name for it like "teaching an imcompatible behavior" - such as teaching a dog to sit for greetings so they can't jump up on people. Since Lala couldn't lick us while she had a toy in her mouth, we figured it was a good tactic. We'd smear a little peanut butter on her toy, and when she'd have it in her mouth we'd praise her like crazy and say "get your toy". Then when she'd start in on licking us we could just ask her to get her toy so we could fall asleep. :)

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 pm

abbybaby2011 wrote:
ewwies wrote:No advice... my dog obsessively licks people too.. But I bought a fetching tag that says "I will lick you" :tongue:

Pit bulls can't hold their licker. lol

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Boss is a licker too! We just make a "psssh" sound and push him away, and try to only pet him when he stops licking... But sometimes his cuteness overrides that :)

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 am

i guess it would be the equivalent of telling us to stop kissing LOL.
dachshund is the licker type too, so there is not much to do than to set up limits.

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 am

abbybaby2011 wrote:

Dexter is the same way, he got the idea to stop after I kept pushing him off the bed. But he also has a fetching that says "Cant Hold My Licker".

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 am

I'm guessing its more common than i thought.

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 am

My Labradoodle was a licker. We always said "She cant hold her licker" lol No advice though as I couldn't stop her either lol

barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

Postby barefootxen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:56 pm

To Xen, all the world is a popsicle. She licks all of the time. I'm okay with it usually, but when it gets annoying I just tell her to quit it and that works most of the time. With new people though...I just figure there are worse habits for her to have. :tongue:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Scheme likes to jump up and punch people in the nose, especially if they have glasses. I wish she'd settle for licking. She's very enthusiastic, and jumps much higher than people expect.

july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby july_hymn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:33 am

Leslie H wrote:Scheme likes to jump up and punch people in the nose, especially if they have glasses. I wish she'd settle for licking. She's very enthusiastic, and jumps much higher than people expect.

X2 for Greta! My husband is 6'2" and she can head-butt him from a standing position on the ground. She is also a licker, but I'd rather deal with the face-punching first. If we can get it down to JUST licking, I will be a happy camper.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:13 am

When our Basset Hound was a puppy we discouraged licking and would just tell her ANNNT and dis-engage whenever she started licking. She grew up to be a dog that never licked.

She also grew up to be a dog that liked her personal space and didn't like it when we were snuggly and kissy. SHe tolerated a bit and then got up and moved or (and this is also because we made other mistakes in training along the way) gave you a nice corrective nip to the face.

I always wondered if discouraging the licking made her less affectionate. Maybe not, maybe it was her temperment. But when we got Veronica as a puppy we were starved for canine affection (and plus we were missing 14 years of Fran and all her affectionate love bites :oops: ); so we sort of encouraged Veronica's licking.

It is a bit annoying when she meets strangers and tries to lick their feet...but...what can ya do?

Return to “Training and Behavior”