Piper and our 7-month-old son

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Annika
Addicted to PBF

Piper and our 7-month-old son

Postby Annika » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to know what you thought about a little behavior of Piper's since our son Billy turned maybe 5 months old.

In general, I must say she is awesome with him. Licks him once in a while, doesn't mind when he yells or squeals, lets him touch her toes, ears, tail and mouth...usually ignores him as if he's an adult who's been here the whole time.

When he was brand new, and I spent so much time just holding him and lying with him as he slept on me, she would sometimes appear a bit sad, and approach me more often to be petted. Before Billy was born, Piper could often be almost "catlike"...she could be really independent and just off doing her own thing. But after he came along, she seemed suddenly to want more affection. Totally understandable. I'm happy to give it to her and frankly, I'm glad she's coming around more!

Now, Billy is starting to crawl a bit, and we spend a ton of playtime on the floor playing with toys, lying on our tummies and cuddling. Piper started to join us for playtime, and she would lie on the floor nearby and just be with us. Then she started getting a little more deliberate, actually inserting herself into the tight space between me and Billy, sometimes making it so he could no longer see or touch me. She would slowly and gently lie down, being sure to have lots of body contact with me, and then contentedly lie there during playtime. A couple times she has attempted to sit on Billy, which I don't let her do because she weighs 50 pounds. :) Other times, she has laid her head on him. It's cute.

Anyway, it seems harmless enough, but I just wanted to ask some experienced people if this might be a precursor to more intense jealous behavior. If I continue to accommodate her and make sure to cuddle her while I play with Billy, will that likely satisfy her? Or might she start getting snippy at Billy if he tries to cuddle with me? I can't imagine her getting snippy, but I just want to prepare myself in case she starts getting more jealous.

I love things the way they are now, with her barging in our playtime, and all 3 of us playing together. I hope it stays that way.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Re: Piper and our 7-month-old son

Postby Siberian » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:56 pm

A couple times she has attempted to sit on Billy, which I don't let her do because she weighs 50 pounds. :) Other times, she has laid her head on him. It's cute.

That sounds like domineering gestures to me, and I would not allow it, if it was my dog.

Then she started getting a little more deliberate, actually inserting herself into the tight space between me and Billy, sometimes making it so he could no longer see or touch me.

This as well. Lure her to the other side of you, so that she can lean into you all she wants, but not wedge Billy off. Ideally, you always would want to be in between your dog and your baby.

This was a great resource to me: http://familypaws.com/ (I have my own set of worries with Sheba). I also called Jennifer Shryock directly. She has a pit bull too, and graciously spent long time on the phone with me, answering my questions, and decoding Sheba's behavior. Like, when Sheba was licking Lada, apparently she was "kissing her off", and I totally misinterpreted it as a cute behavior, where it was somehting to watch for.

After Lada started crawling and now walking, I set up a huge play area for her (size of the living room, pretty much), where Sheba is now allowed. This gives me piece of mind, when Lada is playing.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:04 am

Siberian wrote:
A couple times she has attempted to sit on Billy, which I don't let her do because she weighs 50 pounds. :) Other times, she has laid her head on him. It's cute.

That sounds like domineering gestures to me, and I would not allow it, if it was my dog.

Then she started getting a little more deliberate, actually inserting herself into the tight space between me and Billy, sometimes making it so he could no longer see or touch me.

This as well. Lure her to the other side of you, so that she can lean into you all she wants, but not wedge Billy off. Ideally, you always would want to be in between your dog and your baby.

This was a great resource to me: http://familypaws.com/ (I have my own set of worries with Sheba). I also called Jennifer Shryock directly. She has a pit bull too, and graciously spent long time on the phone with me, answering my questions, and decoding Sheba's behavior. Like, when Sheba was licking Lada, apparently she was "kissing her off", and I totally misinterpreted it as a cute behavior, where it was somehting to watch for.

After Lada started crawling and now walking, I set up a huge play area for her (size of the living room, pretty much), where Sheba is now allowed. This gives me piece of mind, when Lada is playing.

Thanks! I will stop letting her wedge in, but let her lie up against me. She does this half the time anyway. And I'll continue to closely monitor how and where he touches her. She isn't weird about any of her body parts, but babies do crazy things like poke their fingers into holes...

About the "kissing her off", do you think that's what Piper's doing when Billy touches her muzzle and she gives a little lick? All of her life I have not been able to touch her mouth without getting a little lick or two. She never licks him obsessively or anything like that...he'll be playing in his Exersaucer and she will cruise by and pop him a little kiss on the cheek sometimes.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

Return to “Training and Behavior”