How to stop jumping & transition out of the 2 week shutdown

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
mhuxtable
Newborn Bully

How to stop jumping & transition out of the 2 week shutdown

Postby mhuxtable » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

Hi everyone, we are almost done with the 2 week shutdown of our new pitbull, Capo. He's about a year old and doing really well. He's an adoption from Carolina Care Bullies.

The only thing is, when he gets really excited, he jumps. It's worse when he jumps on my fiance, because she's only 110 lbs, and it scratches her up. But we need to figure out how to get it under control.

I say "No!" and "off" firmly and he will usually get right off, but we need it not to happen at all. I don't want to have him out & he scare or hurt someone by jumping on them.

Also, how do you transition out of a 2 week shutdown? Gradually take him on longer & longer walks? If an issue arises (chasing a squirrel, getting skiddish around new people/dogs), do you just turn around, walk back & call it a day?

We want to set Capo up for success!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: How to stop jumping & transition out of the 2 week shutd

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:53 am

Great job so far!

Jumping is Capo's attempt to get your attention, and by saying "no", "down" etc, although it is negative attention, it's still attention.

Teach him that jumping will absolutely equal NO attention. Step quickly and quiet out of the room, even if you have to step into a bedroom or bathroom. This will show him that jumping gives the opposite effect of what he desires.

Then reward him win praise and attention every time he sits or acts appropriately when greeting someone. Get him to offer a sit without asking for it so that it becomes an automatic behavior for him.
Ask him to sit a couple times and reward him, then show him a reward and wait.
When he sits on his own, give him the treat. Eventually he will start sitting all the time because he's hoping it will result in a treat.

As for transitioning out of the two week shut down, yes I would start gradually with introducing the least stressful/stimulating activities and then working your way up.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 am

For the jumping,
When he does jump, say no and have him do a different more appropriate behavior like sit, down, a hand shake, roll over or whatever you want him to do. Don't make a big deal out of the no, because that is a reward in itself. Do make a big deal out of the behavior you want. It's easier on the dog to replace a behavior than it is to eliminate one. Be consistent and only reward the behavior you want. You will be surprised how quickly jumping on people will turn into X behavior.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Remember, though that dogs can and will learn chain behaviors. So while this:
Mooresmajestic wrote:When he does jump, say no and have him do a different more appropriate behavior like sit, down, a hand shake, roll over or whatever you want him to do.

may solve the problem for some dogs, in many dogs it will teach them to jump at least once, then sit, which isn't quite the goal.

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully

Postby mhuxtable » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:51 pm

thanks guys. the ignoring makes sense. and getting him to sit to get attention makes sense too.

Jillian is having a rough day today. she's a bit sick, plus Capo is testing her, so she's having a rough go of it today :(

i told her just to be patient & firm & in control. it is hard because he's so strong (at only 50lbs), so when he pulls, he REALLY pulls...or when he jumps, all his weight is there.

It'll take some patience & consistency, but we will get it.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 pm

You got good advice re: training already. With fosters / new dogs I have them wear a regular collar and leash in the house and drag it around (obviously not unsupervised so they don't strangle themselves on something). It makes it a lot easier to gently remove the dog from a jumping position or from other things a new dog will inevitably do, and it can be more of a guide than a correction so the dog's not freaking out that this brand new person is already upset with them.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Good advice from all. Remember jumping gets attention, the turning of your back to the dog, no touching AT ALL , no excited voice..nada... is all good. Yelling, pushing, the old throw a knee up can only excite.
Here is a good excercise for new dogs, it also teaches the "four on the floor" to get a reward (all paws on floor), if your dog doesnt know sit yet.. at least all four on the floor. Sometimes teaching what we DO want gets alot more done than trying to reprimand, espcially in a new dog who is still learning the ropes.
I find the HARDEST thing with the excercise is getting people to train, l o l . that is that jumping gets nada, no "thats ok" .."no pet" "no touch " nada...

“ FIND ME FOR FOOD “
an exercise
Find me For Food!
A fun exercise for dogs and humans!
written by Stacie

Find me for food sets up the basic “alpha” command post of the owner/hander, beginning recall training, and patience!
And all this in one simple exercise.

This is a great way for a newly adoptive puppy or dog to find his way into the pack and to bond with his or her new family.

Set up.
Handlers/owner
Doggy on leash (if new dog-graduate to no leash)
Yummy soft small treat tid bits (cut up hot dogs do great, something different then usual treats)

Let’s give this example in a living room,
All people are sitting on chairs/couches thru out the room. Dog is on leash long enough to reach all people or just drop the leash and step on it if need be. We begin on leash so the dog does not “jump” on people. Correct by the leash and ignore the behavior (negative attention is still attention..let the leash do the correction, you can say one command “off” and that’s it.)
Load each person with a handful of yummy soft treats (soft less time to chew) , bring the dog in leashed, and have a person call dog to them
“Bowser- come!” when doggy comes over, he must be calm and if he know SIT tell him to “sit” then he gets treat.
Next person !
“Bowser – come!” doggy will be happy to run over to next person, patience! patience! When dog is calm all feet on floor or in a “sit!” pop in another treat!
You see how this goes now.
Each person around the room continues to call doggy to him, and inserts a treat.

This is teaching a lot! As I said, patience (must wait for treat! ) NILF (must sit or be calm to get treat), Come (recall very important with dogs!), and also installs that these new humans are all “food dispensers” and also (big also!) LEADERS” over the dog.

This same exercise is easily done with one person by doing a box step..
Slide one step over “come” - ..insert treat when dog sits,
Slide one step back “come” etc.

* NOTE- in a new dog (in the two week process or a dog you don’t know) DO NOT STEP INTO THE DOG. This is an alpha move, and dogs who don’t know you yet will see this as a slight challenge. We must establish ourselves first with the dog, then we have the right to step into the dog, he should stay sitting or scoot back , even if you bump him/her. If the dog jumps/ pushes , chomps, attempts to snap the food out of your hand he is telling you “you are NOT the king of me you jack”!
Then as you imagine we keep reinforcing our NILF and working with the dog. Many new dogs challenge this at first . So we must be fair and teach the dog where he belongs to avoid conflict in a fun exercise such as “Find me for Food!”

Dogs that gobble food, or are slightly food aggressive you can do this exercise with their dinner kibble/food. If they get snappy, pushy, etc.. just calmly take the dog and put him away, without any further food for the moment. Let him think and realize why he went back to his crate hungry. We don’t have to “correct” yell or do anything, they challenged the hand that is feeding them? ..well then , skip dinner for awhile. Most if not all dogs I have worked with quickly realize that its no fun to miss dinner and humble up .
*disclaimer – I would not withhold dinner from a sick dog or seriously underweight dog, most of our dogs are healthy enough to miss a dinner, or at least wait a bit before getting it. Never give in and hand the dog the dish of food though. At least make them wait a bit.

If a dog is overweight we can eliminate the treats from this exercise and use only their kibble /dinner food.

Do not give a free dinner to your dog and then expect to be receptive to this game, this of course wont have nearly the effect if your dogs tummy is full from dinner. :0 )

This is a great exercise for kids, for it teaches the kids and dogs that jumping is a no no or allowing the jumping as well as teaching the dog that kids are leaders and not to be jumped on for treats!
For small kids, have an adult sit behind them, wrap their arms around the kid to support the arm and close the hand if the dog gets pushy.

Also a GREAT way to introduce friends and visiting family. Bring the dog out after all are seated , load everyone with some treats and then go get the dog. Again we are installing no jumping, patience and the dog gets yummy treats, what is better?

As you advance in this game, and the dog is sitting, being patient, you can go a step further and begin the “leave it” command, and make the dog wait a second before taking the treat. Treat in hand-when dog goes to take the treat, close the hand, say “leave it” …some dogs will paw or nudge or even bark your hand that is now closed, when they sit back and look at you or not at the food, open your hand and allow the dog to have treat!

Waaa la!
All this training in one fun filled exercise.. who would of thought!?

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Amie wrote:Remember, though that dogs can and will learn chain behaviors. So while this:
Mooresmajestic wrote:When he does jump, say no and have him do a different more appropriate behavior like sit, down, a hand shake, roll over or whatever you want him to do.

may solve the problem for some dogs, in many dogs it will teach them to jump at least once, then sit, which isn't quite the goal.

This is really important to remember. I spend the weekend with a friend with a newly rescued 18 month old Malinois and he had a heavy reinforcement history with the behavior of jumping up and punching you in the face with his muzzle. This is hard to ignore because it HURTS (and he's FAST). We were having success with this method:

http://drsophiayin.com/resources/video_ ... -than-jump

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully

Postby mhuxtable » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks everyone! Great replies. We've been ignoring and it's getting better. Sometimes he just gets so excited he doesn't control himself.

We've started walking him and training him not to pull at all, and for his first couple of times he's done great.

Thanks for your help!

Any tips on getting a dog to walk perfectly loose leash?

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 am

Always reward him right at the seam of your pants.

Don't reward him until he's taken a few steps at your side (start with just one step, then build on that) - if you let him get to the end of the line, then stop, and wait for him to return, you'll get a yo-yo dog who runs to the end then comes back to you for the treat (there's more of that chain learning in action!)

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am

Here's a poster that explains how I teach loose lead walking and heeling.
*THIS IS NOT MY POSTER* The bottom of the poster states who made it and where I got it from.
Clicking will make it bigger.

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully

Postby mhuxtable » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:55 pm

That's awesome! Thank you!!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Amie wrote:Remember, though that dogs can and will learn chain behaviors. So while this:

True. I've had good results doing this, but I may not have explained it properly either....or the foster dogs I've had were a bit, um, slow. It was more of a no followed by me moving somewhere else or re-entering the door then asking for a sit before the dog had a chance to jump. (does that make sense? I think it does, but?)

Then again, the only dogs that I've taught this behavior to were fosters. Not many people are like me and like a touch of nutty dog.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:36 am

Mooresmajestic wrote:

True. I've had good results doing this, but I may not have explained it properly either....or the foster dogs I've had were a bit, um, slow. It was more of a no followed by me moving somewhere else or re-entering the door then asking for a sit before the dog had a chance to jump. (does that make sense? I think it does, but?)

Then again, the only dogs that I've taught this behavior to were fosters. Not many people are like me and like a touch of nutty dog.

Well, a dog does not need a verbal cue to learn a behavior chain, so for the sake of clarity, jumping can be prompted and eventually cued by any number of things. The idea, if it has not been made clear, is to determine what in the structure of the dog and in the environment is causing the jumping then to make the jumping an ineffective and inefficient means to access or satiate those reinforcers and motivators. The first thing I would do before training a new behavior is reinforce and maintain calm behavior.

mhuxtable
Newborn Bully

Postby mhuxtable » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 am

Just an update everyone! Thanks for the walking tips. Capo is catching on so fast!

Here's a video of us doing his commands.

Return to “Training and Behavior”