Can someone help explain this behavior?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Can someone help explain this behavior?

Postby Red » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:04 pm

PitBoxer wrote:Thank you Red, for your advice and thank you everyone else!

Has anyone heard of Bark Busters? http://www.barkbusters.com/

If anyone else and can give me some feedback on them, I would be grateful.

I would not use any business chain in which "dog owners can transform their "problem dog" into a happy, obedient companion in as little as 2-3 hours" and trainers are not required to have any kind of background when it comes to the principles of canine behavior and learning. Please consider contacting the person suggested.

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 pm

PitBoxer wrote:Thank you Red, for your advice and thank you everyone else!

Has anyone heard of Bark Busters? http://www.barkbusters.com/

If anyone else and can give me some feedback on them, I would be grateful.

Yes I've heard of them and no, just no. As Red said they don't require any type of education or behavior background for their employees. They're also a chain, and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's not a good thing either. It means that they have a cookie cutter approach for every situation. And their reference to pack theory (which has been debunked) doesn't impress em either. I'd like to know how they can take a "problem" dog and "fix" them in just a couple of hours.
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe a friend of mine from Australia said they use shock collars for everything. It's not explicitly said on the website but this
Bark Busters dog training approach can help owners establish control of their dog--all without treats or the need for harsh punishment

makes me nervous. If they're not "punishing" the dog or rewarding it then how are they achieving their results.

Please contact some of the people on the list I gave you. They are all wonderful trainers who I know would be more then happy to help.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Can someone help explain this behavior?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:57 pm

MarMar, I used a medium for Nikki and she weighed 55lbs.

BarkBusters is great if you want ineffective training methods hinged on your ability to "growl" at your dog.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Stay away from Bark Busters, far away. Also stay away from Sit means Sit.

If you are ever up for a 3 hour drive, you and your crew are more than welcome to join me and the rest of our training group. We don't use a one style fits all approach, we tailor the training to the dog and handler team.

PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBoxer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Again, I want to thank everyone for the advice, I'm new to the whole getting a professional trainer thing. Never felt the need(I'm an idiot) because she wasn't aggressive, but I am realizing that keeping her from getting over her fear is only stressing her out way to much for no reason and keeping her from being the wonderful dog I know she can be.

Shearaha1, I didn't want it to seem like I wasn't interested in the ones you suggested, but as I said, I'm new to the idea of bringing a trainer to my home, so I want to explore all my options. I dont want to do trail and error with this, just want to help my girl. Thank you so much though.

PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBoxer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Mooresmajestic wrote:Stay away from Bark Busters, far away. Also stay away from Sit means Sit.

If you are ever up for a 3 hour drive, you and your crew are more than welcome to join me and the rest of our training group. We don't use a one style fits all approach, we tailor the training to the dog and handler team.

You in Detroit? Idk, thats a bit of a drive. Thanks for the offer though!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:11 pm

PitBoxer wrote:I dont want to do trail and error with this, just want to help my girl.

Great mindset!

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 am

PitBoxer wrote:Again, I want to thank everyone for the advice, I'm new to the whole getting a professional trainer thing. Never felt the need(I'm an idiot) because she wasn't aggressive, but I am realizing that keeping her from getting over her fear is only stressing her out way to much for no reason and keeping her from being the wonderful dog I know she can be.

Shearaha1, I didn't want it to seem like I wasn't interested in the ones you suggested, but as I said, I'm new to the idea of bringing a trainer to my home, so I want to explore all my options. I dont want to do trail and error with this, just want to help my girl. Thank you so much though.

I didn't think that at all. I just knew that you hadn't called them. When I give out their info I always let them know a general idea of who I'm sending their way and they let me know if that person made contact.

I get that you want to do what's best for your girl and that finding a good professional trainer can be hard. Always ask for references and if you're going to be attending group classes go without your dog and watch a few to see if it's something you're comfortable with. Never be afraid to say "no" to something you're uncomfortable with.

Return to “Training and Behavior”