Playful Behavior around animals. Gets into everything.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:06 am

She loves other dogs and pulls me to get close to them she walks right past my indoor dogs with no problem but our little dog dog doesnt like her so she just snaps at her when Daisy is doing nothing to her and then my dog daisy thinks she is playing and gets hyper. She does fine with our dogs until our small dog snaps at her and my mom always blames daisy but if pebbles wouldnt snap at her daisy wouldnt think she was playing. My elder dog also will run up to her and snap when daisy is 5 feet away from her food. They Don't like her yet all daisy wants to do is play. When i take her to the vet theirs like 10 other dogs in there at a time in a very small room with limited seating sometimes no seats are left anyway she pulls, whines, constantly trying to get to the other dogs to play it embarrases me because everyone elses dogs are so calm and relaxed. i have to drag her outside until the vet is ready for her.. We go to the busiest vet in town other vets have no people when we go but the one we go to usually does free office calls even though hes supposed to charge $35 he will get free antibiotics when needed. She also pulls us out the door to get to other cats i try and do the ceaser millan method where we make her wait for us to go out and then tell her she can come it works but my dad doesnt do that and cares her straight out the door so their not consistent with my training. Everytime i yell at them and tell them to do what i do they threaten to take her to the shelter and for me to let them do what they want... HELPPP when shes inside she gets into everything, from the trash can, to opening drawers and getting into rat poison which we have got rid of now. I tried putting her on a trolley for 5 hours and walking her for about 30 minutes but it doesn't help what can i do. I dont want her to have to stay outside her whole life but unless i can get her to behave better i really have no choice btw all our dogs are female daisy isnt aggressive to them but gets down on the ground jumping around trying to play... They snap at her she sometimes will just turn around and walk away.. How can i get my older dogs to accept her and not snap at her for no reason she can just walk past them and they snap and then of course Daisy gets blamed

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Sun May 13, 2012 1:17 pm

How old is daisy and how much exercise does she get?

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Re: Playful Behavior around animals. Gets into everything.

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 pm

a year and a half and usually 5 hours on the trolley a day i cant really do much walking because so many loose dogs in the neighborhood but when i do walk its about an hour worth

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun May 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Unless she's running back and forth constantly, being out on a trolley isn't going to wear her out. Can you go and throw a ball for her while she's out there, or play tug?

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 pm

ball no she picks it up and it bust just like that. Tug possibly but she runs back and forth constantly until she gives out and cant run anymore ive known her to be on the runner and i walk her and she cant make it 10 minutes she will lay down and refuse to get back up i have to call someone to pick us up

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon May 14, 2012 7:48 am

She doesn't just need physical stimulation, she needs mental. I don't care how long you have her on a tie out, she is not being stimulated. Get her a bunch of work to eat toys, do obedience training sessions with her DAILY, and leash walk her. Find a safe park or walking track that you can drive her too (car rides will be stimulating also) and walk her there. Kennel the other dogs in the house, and allow her inside time. Oh, and get better quality balls. We all have pit bulls on here, yours is no stronger than ours. Cherry loves fetch, we use Kong tennis balls and they last awhile. If you can't afford that, get a back of cheap tennis balls and play fetch until she destroys them. Jolly balls are great as well. The poor thing is excited to see everyone and everything because all she knows is being on a tie out in the backyard. That isn't a good life for a dog. She can't stimulate herself.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 am

Some resources that may be helpful:

Environmental enrichment:
http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/6 ... -Life.aspx

Teaching attention:

Teaching loose-leash walking:

How the game of tug should look:

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Mon May 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Cherry wrote:She doesn't just need physical stimulation, she needs mental. I don't care how long you have her on a tie out, she is not being stimulated. Get her a bunch of work to eat toys, do obedience training sessions with her DAILY, and leash walk her. Find a safe park or walking track that you can drive her too (car rides will be stimulating also) and walk her there. Kennel the other dogs in the house, and allow her inside time. Oh, and get better quality balls. We all have pit bulls on here, yours is no stronger than ours. Cherry loves fetch, we use Kong tennis balls and they last awhile. If you can't afford that, get a back of cheap tennis balls and play fetch until she destroys them. Jolly balls are great as well. The poor thing is excited to see everyone and everything because all she knows is being on a tie out in the backyard. That isn't a good life for a dog. She can't stimulate herself.

Great post!

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Well i used to take her to a pasture but grass grew up and i cant use that anymore to play fetch with her in.. Fetch wont work at her trolley cz its on a hill the ball will just roll down and i dont have a fenced in yard shes outside because when she is inside when shes not walking around she sits at the door whining when you get the leash she gets exited she prefers the outdoor

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 pm

I take Cherry to a fenced baseball field to let her run loose and really play some good fetch. I'm sure there is a school in your area, go there after hours with your dog. As long as there are no "no dogs allowed" signed, try it out. I've never had an issue, the field upkeep guys love seeing Cherry out there. I am responsible, and pick up any feces and don't go in after the restricted hours. I also keep her in the grass if there are white lines on the field, as she could mess up that paint stuff.

You really need to find somewhere to walk her, even if it is just in circles outside. She is on a tie out outside, with no fence, and is vulnerable to predators, stray dogs and animals. It is also a very real possibility that she will get loose. I hope she is UTD on her HW prevention and vaccinations, seeing how she is outside all the time. Walking her around outside on your property isn't putting her at any more danger than what she is already in.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

I dont always keep her on a tie out i watch her when she is on their she usually is in her outdoor kennel.. and yeah their are schools but none with complete Fenced in area.. theirs always a gap..

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 am

Get a 50' or 30' long line.

Tie a loop near the clip and use a back-up attachment to the collar. The snaps they come with are often cheap and flimsy.

I got mine for under $15/each from PetEdge.com years ago. I use them at the beach and anywhere I still want a "handle" on my dog.

They do get heavy/wet/sandy because they are a cotton webbing but I dry them on the porch then drop them a few times on cement and most of the sand/dried mud comes off then they go back in the box in my car trunk. I have had the same two for years and years, one of the snaps is full of sand and rust but the backup (I use a climbing carabiner) is there. They work great for helping teach your dog recall and also when you want to make sure your dog can't run off.

If you've got the $ you can get long lines made out of Biothane, they don't get wet or heavy.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 16, 2012 1:44 am

And yes, I would agree on mental exercise. Do 20 minutes of running, like fetch or jogging or using a flirt pole (search on here, it's basically a horse lunge whip with a dog toy tied on instead of a popper, you play it the same way as "fishing" toys with a cat) and then play a mind game with her.

Google "101 Things to Do With A Box" and you'll get written instructions plus some youtube videos. Start there and keep these sessions short and fun like 5 minutes. You have to get her brain 'in shape' just the same as her body. Make sure she has a chance to earn plenty of treats.

Then burn off the thinking zooms with a little more running around. Then put her on a tie-down or in a crate or behind a baby gate to make sure the other dogs don't wake her up, get her revved up, or mess with her treat. Give her a long-lasting chew like a deer antler or a Kong frozen with frozen canned dog food (or so on) inside, or a Kong Wobbler ($14) with her kibble meal inside. This is why it's helpful not to free-feed. After dhe finishes chewing or getting the food out, she will probably sleep and be chill for hours, after you spend just 45 minutes playing and working with her.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 pm

I dont free feed her i do leave the food in there until she eats but once she starts eating she eats it all at one time... I cut back on her food by a cup to help her lose a little weight. Ima eventually get her down to only 2 cups a day

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Courtneyd137 wrote:i do i take the food out there when i take her outside in the morning but she doesnt eat right then she would rather wait until later in the day. she will not eat when you take the food out there she waits until she's ready...

This IS free feeding.

Return to “Training and Behavior”