Playful Behavior around animals. Gets into everything.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Re: Playful Behavior around animals. Gets into everything.

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm

How is it free feeding she still eats a certain amount of food a day doesnt matter how i feed her... Free Feeding according to my vet is when you always have food out Day and night and when the bowl is empty you add more not feeding a certain amount once a day. If i dont feed her like that she wont eat she decides to wait till shes ready to eat her food and once she starts eating she eats all the food in her bowl She never eats the food when i take it out to her kennel and idk what time she eats her food just when she gets ready that is not free feeding free feeding is when you constantly have food out 24/7 Which I DONT

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 pm

How is it free feeding she eats the same amount of food every day... I dont leave food out for her 24 hours a day. she gets 3 cups of food a day and i leave it for her until she eats it on her own time.. It isnt any different then taking up the food through out the day and putting it back down either way she still eats that amount I Feed her 2 cupss in the morning 1 at night THAT ISNT FREE FEEDING

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Free feeding is when you allow your dog to "graze" and eat whenever. YOU control mealtimes. If she doesn't eat it, pick it up and make her go hungry until next meal. If she doesn't eat that, take it away. She will quickly get the message and eat at mealtimes like she is supposed to.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Whats wrong with that.. She still eats the same amount of food everyday no matter if i leave it out there. Picking it up and putting it back down is no different then just leaving it out there until she wants to eat it.. She eats the same amount of food every single day There is nothing wrong with that i researced free feeding its when a dog is allowed to have food constantly like 24/7 which my dog is not she is allowed to have her food until she eats it then she isnt givin anymore until the next day,, Their is nothing different with the way i feed then any other way she still gets fed she still eats the same amount of 3 cups a day doesnt matter how long it is left out

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 pm

So rather than free feeding your dog and allowing her to graze as she wants, why not use that food that she gets for free every day and put it towards training her or feed her out of work-to-eat puzzles so she can get some much needed mental stimulation? Dogs were designed to spend 95% of their waking life searching, hunting, and scavenging for food. When its freely available, it denies them that energy expenditure. I posted a link on environmental enrichment that explains this which you clearly haven't read. You can make your own work-to-eat puzzles with household items such as empty coke bottles, so even if you're in a financial pinch you can still give your dogs the mental outlets they so desperately need.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I do do that also i have a kong i do that with

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Courtneyd137 wrote:Whats wrong with that.. She still eats the same amount of food everyday no matter if i leave it out there. Picking it up and putting it back down is no different then just leaving it out there until she wants to eat it.. She eats the same amount of food every single day There is nothing wrong with that i researced free feeding its when a dog is allowed to have food constantly like 24/7 which my dog is not she is allowed to have her food until she eats it then she isnt givin anymore until the next day,, Their is nothing different with the way i feed then any other way she still gets fed she still eats the same amount of 3 cups a day doesnt matter how long it is left out

Once again, you are given advice and you ARGUE. I really don't understand why you are here.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Im here because im not asking on advise on her feeding im asking advise on her behavior around other animals..I dont need advise on her Feeding thats why im not taking any i need advise on the way she acts around other dogs and cats

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 pm

And her behavior is and can be related to her feeding. A dogs behavior is effected by all of its surroundings. The way it is fed, trained, and exercised. So yes, we are trying to figure out the way your dog lives from day to day so we can give you the best advice possible based on the way your dog goes through a day and it's routine.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:35 pm

How does the way she eats affect the way she acts around other animals

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Because if you use her daily portion of food as training rewards, she will be mentally stimulated for having worked for her meals.

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Because if you use her daily portion of food as training rewards, she will be mentally stimulated for having worked for her meals.

Exactly. Her food intake effects her food drive, which effects training.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Oh yeah i have done that.. somedays i will put dry dog food in the bottom of her kong a large dog treat tht barely fits so it makes it harder to get out and peanut butter on top. so she will have to work to get the food. I have also done obedience training With the treats which she does pretty good in but she gets so exited when i tell her to lay down she rolls over. She only gets the treat when she does what i tell her to do. I also put food in a 2 liter bottle and have her roll it around until she gets the food.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 am

Training can be very simple. If she is hungry then you can teach her new behavior and use pieces of kibble for rewards. If she just eats out of a bowl at her leisure then you try to teach her new things she wont be interested in the food reward. Look up clicker training basics on you tube. Also watch some neat tricks that can be taught easily using clicker and reward treats that are usually just kibble. Most of the time my dogs have to work for their meal. I will take their serving and ask them to do something, a trick or just simple sit, down, stand, and give them one kibble for each command they follow until their whole serving has been given, one piece at a time. It is amazing how much calmer they are when you can work their brain like this. No field or anything needed. You can do this in your bedroom without distractions.

This is a start. Once you teach her how to focus and learn then you can work on getting her attention around distractions such as your older dogs. I hope some of this is of use to you and may help.

Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:19 am

Yeah ill start doing that although my room wouldnt be a good place for it the way she jumps around because i have 2 fish aquariams and my room is Tiny lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”