Dog Aggression Question

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Dog Aggression Question

Postby Besonbully » Sun May 13, 2012 11:17 am

Are there different types of dog aggression? Reading on here I'm finding cases of dogs going out of their way to attack other dogs to much milder forms.

I have a fearful dog who lacks confidence. We lived in the city at first and originally he was petrified. Over time and through many positive experiences he became immune to these fears. I could bring him to dog parks and pretty much anywhere without any issue. Since then we've moved to the suburbs and because of the much quieter setting he's regressed. I take him out around busier places and he begins to pant, pull, and really seem to be flustered. We're doing it more often and he is making great progress. The one thing I have noticed though with dogs passing by is that some begin to bark and growl at him. He pins his ears back and tries to get away. However while trying to get away his hair is up and he growls a bit. I have had an experience where a dog like this came to close and into his space and he nipped him and then tried to get away.

I know with the proper steps I can get him back to where he was but I was just curious if he could actually be scared of some other dogs?

How do I build his confidence?

Thanks

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Dog Aggression Question

Postby Sarah » Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 am

Your dog isn't aggressive, he's afraid. The best confidence builder for him would be for you to not allow these situations to occur. He needs to know that you will protect him. You need to get between him and dogs that frighten him, and not allow the other dogs to approach. If he can trust you to protect him, he will relax.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu May 31, 2012 4:27 am

I agree with Sarah; and would just add that it is a good idea to keep in mind that fearful dogs can still act out and behave aggressively if they feel they are cornered, have to defend themselves or have no other option.

So you can still end up with a dog fight; just that the reasons for it happening are different.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 am

:goodpost:
Sarah wrote:Your dog isn't aggressive, he's afraid. The best confidence builder for him would be for you to not allow these situations to occur. He needs to know that you will protect him. You need to get between him and dogs that frighten him, and not allow the other dogs to approach. If he can trust you to protect him, he will relax.

Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Are you in NY?? if so you could walk/hike with my us, I have 3/4 friends that go everywhere with the dogs, I think (just IMO) if you would slowly get them introduced and start walking together your dog will get a better idea of dogs. We run into other hikers with dogs all the time, my friends never mind to B.S. For 5min's,, some people just keep walking with there dogs. And like someone else said, protect him. When you see your dog start to act nerves, "don't say it's ok" to calm the dog down, the dog will only think it's "ok" to be nerves.

Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:35 pm

AND when the dog walks by another and acts careless, parse the dog!!! In my experience with some good hike exercise with my friends dogs they seem to care less about other dogs they meet walking past us,that would normally be a prob if we went on an easy walk around the street. Even on the easy hikes, like the old wagon trails, it seems like a harder/ more of a workout then walk up the street.

Return to “Training and Behavior”