Teaching toddler how to behave with the pibble?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Postby ina.click » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 am

Hello

My kid is now 15 months old.

Him and Ayax are doing great togheter. Kind of.

The dog is an angel. Tolerates like a saint, lies down so that my son can sustain his balance, and is also a great cleaneup help when my little guy is eating.

But the little bugger my adored son, is so annoying lol. Why, why, is you have a 30 kilogrames dog, SO MUCH DOG, you have to go only for the eye, the butthole, the nose?
I am desperately trying to explain by teaching him to gently pat the dog, instead of enthusiatically smacking it and NOT to touch the dog's private parts. Nor stick fingers in them. Actually, just not to stick fingers anywhere in the dog.

It's not just the hygiene I am worried about, it's jsut that I worry someday my kid is gonna grab a snappy sensible cihuahua and get bitten. And also it's kind of unfair for my own dog too, altjhough I don;t see him minding too much.

Is this how all toddlers behave lol? Do they all poke eyes, bite tails and finger very innapropriate places?

Should I wait until he grows a little and understands more?
Btw I WILL NOT spank the kid or the dog. So please accept my parenting choice and do not offer advice that includes slapping either of them.

Here's some pics with the guys.

The dog is very....well. we underestimated him so much. Adapted to the baby arrival very well, understands more than we ever expected. I doubt the kid was part of his retirement plans, but he is very gentle and careful around him. Perhaps because everything we told him in the beginning, when he started approaching the baby, started with a DON'T and CAREFUL and EASY THERE.

So, parents with toddlers and pibbles, I am grateful for all advice you can offer.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 am

I'm not a parent so I'll let someone else chime in with advice but it's so refreshing to hear when people are concerned with teaching their children to behave appropriately as much as their dog.

Super cute kid AND dog! :)

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Teaching toddler how to behave with the pibble?

Postby BrindleLvr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:58 am

We have the same issue with our almost 18 month old. He likes to poke Avery in the eye or stick his fingers in her mouth, ears, etc.

He's just so curious - we typically just say no, and remove him from the situation - distract him with something else. Avery is pretty good about getting up and leaving when he gets too curious.
She will tolerate ALOT but after awhile she hunts for higher ground (i.e. the bed - where the toddler can't reach her).

We taught our son how to tickle, so if we notice he is getting to rough with her we tell him to "tickle tickle, Avery" and he will say "tickle tickle" and gentle rub her back. He does still need alot of reminders about this but atleast it switches his brain process to gentle instead of rough.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:23 am

This is a pretty good site with a lot of great tips and real life Q&A: http://dogsandbabies.wordpress.com/

We're expecting our first soon and our dog is *not* naturally tolerant (think: the bitey chihuahua you're worried about your kid approaching), so we'll be doing a lot of child-training lol

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:10 pm

check these out - adorable photos btw...

http://familypaws.com/

http://dogsandstorks.blogspot.ca/ she is starting a whole series of blogs about the toddler stage...

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm

ina.click wrote:
Btw I WILL NOT spank the kid or the dog. So please accept my parenting choice and do not offer advice that includes slapping either of them.

Thank you. Physical violence is never an acceptable action when working on modifying behavior, be it child, dog, or any other animal, so thank you for seeking kind options for both of your tykes. It's already been posted, but I've known many new parents who found this program helpful : http://familypaws.com/

ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Postby ina.click » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:04 am

thank you for the links. I did not know of any of them.
I'll start reading right away :)

Good idea with tickle, we have a word in romanian for caressing / patting, "mai-mai", pronounced sort of "may-may". I try that with the kid he goes "mai-mai" for a while but then his enthusiasm gets the best of him and he starts to "smack-squish"

I do understand him , kind of, I have the same instinct to squish or grab soft silky cute stuff...such as a dog's fur.

ina.click
Adolescent Bully

Postby ina.click » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:15 am

Ha, I forgot.

We were both terrified of what would happen if the kid would reach for the dog's food.
Nothing happens. I mean the dog is not reacting, he just leaves. I try hiding the food and water bowls everywhere but generally if the child cannot reach them then the dog cannot reach either.

My kid Alex is mesmerized by the damn kibble. Grabs it, plays with it, eats it :wow :crybaby: , makes a sort of a soup out of it, transferring it into the water bowl.
He has no concept of gross or yuck yet, no matter how green my face went when i found him munching on Purina Sensible Diet and how vocal I got.

Ayax - the dog - prooves us wrong again by being very forgiving with the food. If I don't catch my boy in time and he goes to his food bowls, Ayax simply leaves and comes back later.
Alex, on the other hand, finds it very amusing to feed the dog with whatever he dislikes from his menu. Such as any meat. Their partnership grows strong and my nerves grow weak. Long gone are the days when I worried about hygiene; it's almost impossible to remain germophobic when these guys are always nose to nose, trading food, exchanging kisses etc. I try to prevent these things to happen by sending the dog away; but then my child cries as if he's Romeo and I just sent his Juliet to a monastery and I have to call him back. Gah.
I was mortified to see him giving the dog treats and I still am scared and do my best to teach the child to DROP THE THING on the floor. Ayax is very gentle but the kid has no idea how to release food, he just keeps a tiny clenched fist and the dog cautiously nibbles around his minuscule fingers. I have horror scripts running in my head all the time.

The dog is fabulous; no training needed for him regarding babies. I have no idea how he picked it all up. Our son, on the other hand.... :eek:

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:01 am

My sister's son who's 8 months old and who i take care off alot likes to stick his little fingers everywhere too and pulling ears is a favorite :twisted: I generally grab the child's hand and say NO, gentle... and the best advice is really to never ever leave your dog alone because if you re there you can be fast to remove the child or the dog out of the situation.

As for the food i would just give the dog food once a day and after an hour or two just put the foodbowl away. Atleast that is how I do it with my two dogs.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:14 pm

As already suggested, I would switch the dog to only having one or two meal times per day and the food bowl put away directly afterward. The fact that the dog is walking away from the food bowl when your son approaches is not a good sign, it is a sign that the dog is being pushed. His signal is "polite" for now, but if he is having a bad day or is in pain, it may not be so polite. It is your job as the parent to remove situations that can cause stress to the dog, such as this one.

Here is a good little read on "the curse of the good dog": http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/2010/02/21/good-dogs-dont-bite/

Does your dog have a crate or a space all to himself that the baby is not allowed in? That could help give him the down time he needs to maintain the patience it takes to put up with a child ;)

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:02 am

I have a 19 month old and an 8 year old dog. While dog is very tolerant to a toddler, I know she is not always happy to be bothered. That is why I have divided my house with baby gates. I have completely separated living/dining area, which is our family room and baby's play zone. When baby is there, Sheba (the dog), goes outside of the fence, on the pillow, where she can see everyone, and still be part of the family, but cannot be bothered by a baby. I also taught baby "gentle" by an example. Show her what you mean by "gentle". Sheba also knows "on your side" command, which to me is the safer way for a baby to pet her. I would sit by the head, and let my daughter have access to the sides and belly only.

I also try to involve baby into dog activities. She listens to our daily obedience training refreshers and tries to mimic. I also take her with me to play fetch with Sheba, she uses chuck it (with my help of course). THis way she doesn't think of a dog as of a stuffed toy only, but more of a family member :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”