Psycho Puppy!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Psycho Puppy!

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 am

So, my Baloo is 6 months old now. (Ish). I haven't done a whole lot of training with him...just the basics. Sit, down, come, kennel, get down, not yet, and he has pretty good recall. But recently, it's been hard doing training sessions with him. I'm posting this because today was just a bit much. He has max zoomies. Anytime he is in the house, he is zip-zip-zoom all over the place. That was usually manageable and he focused on his food somewhat...but not very much anymore. I don't even have to have the treat and he is running to one end of the house, coming back, barking at the cat, jumping on me, spinning in circles....and today's training session got to be too much because he seemingly forgot sit...I would tell him sit, and he would lay down. He did that repetitively before I just threw in the towel because I was getting frustrated. Any advice on how to calm his zoomies? I've tried a little exercise before the sessions, but I don't want to overwork him. And any idea on how to fix this sit problem? Now whenever I tell him sit he throws himself on the ground...lol. Thanks for all advice.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Psycho Puppy!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:51 am

I would say you're picking the wrong time for training. I would exercise him more before trying, not to the point where he's exhausted, but enough to kill the zoomies and work up an appetite.

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Re: Psycho Puppy!

Postby Shearaha1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:03 am

Have you always or frequently gone from sit to down? This has been an issue for some of the puppy classes I've assisted with, where folks always went to down after asking for a sit and the pups just decided to skip the middle step. I'd go back to sit from square one and the same with down and work them individually. Ask for a sit from a down, down from standing, and try not to ask for a down right after a sit.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 am

You may need to actively work on teaching him to relax. Some dogs, like my shepherd, can exercise for ever and still not become "calm". Look into Karen Pryor's Relaxation Protocol and also check out Nan Arthur's book Chill Out Fido for a step by step guide to relaxation. Leslie McDevitt also came out with a Control Unleashed book for puppies which is GREAT.

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 am

Getting him a little more tired and hungry before the training session may be what he needs.

ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Psycho Puppy!

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm unsure what ways to exercise him since he is so young. I walk him on my bike sometimes, and then play tug in the house or the dog park can wear him out. But he still gets zoomie. I am going to try the reteaching sit idea....is this a normal puppy thing?

furever_pit
Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:24 am

Mental exercise tires a dog out as much (if not more) than physical exercise.
With young dogs, or even older dogs that first come to me, I do not feed them from a bowl. I place their daily ration in a tupperware and give them several opportunities throughout the day to earn their food through training. If the dog doesn't want to pay attention then he doesn't eat. Hunger is a great motivator. I guarantee you will see a difference in just a few days if you try this.

PBF lurker
Newborn Bully

Postby PBF lurker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Great ideas re: exercise.

As far as the sit conundrum, sounds like a typical teenager. Hormones are raging, who knows what's going on in there. Things they knew down pat as puppies are now foreign concepts to them. It will come back. Be persistent and patient. Reteach if necessary. I've got a psycho foster puppy myself right now and it's very trying.

Return to “Training and Behavior”