Sheba got posessed for one day...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Sheba got posessed for one day...

Postby Siberian » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:26 pm

So, it is not really behavior advice need, since I don't see it happening again (but again, I didn't think this would have ever happened in the first place), but Sheba has done something extremely weird. And I am curious in your opinion as to what might have happened.

Last week I took our baby and went out of town to visit family for couple of days. Husband stayed behind with Sheba. While we were gone, he left her home for couple of hours, locking her in one of the rooms, where we usually leave her when we go out of the house. So, nothing out of ordinary, happens every day. When he came back and opened the door, he was pretty much in shock from what he saw: there was a mirror ($5 kind, from Target, that just hammers to the surface) on the wall, and it was just shattered to pieces, frame broken up, bloody smudges on the wall. Sheba greeted him with her usual exuberance, and acted her typical self. He checked her mouth and paws for cuts, but nothing was visible.

So, this is an 8 year old dog who is being left alone on regular basis and never even ripped a pillow, left alone do a damage like that. She did have separation anxiety issues when we just got her from rescue, and she chewed off the carpet at the doorway and damaged the door in the first week that we had her, but that was 7 years ago. Also, mirror was not hanging on the door, it was hammered to the wall next to it. So, even if she was trying to get out of the door, she missed it by a few feet :)

Husband thinks she was fighting with the dog in the mirror. I think my dog is not crazy enough to do that. So, I wonder what ideas others might have?

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Re: Sheba got posessed for one day...

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:25 am

That is really weird...

Any chance the mirror could have somehow first fallen on it's own; and maybe she went over to investigate?

Or maybe realizing that you and the baby were "gone" somehow re-triggered old SA issues?

My dogs have always been tuned in to when we were "going away", they noticed the bags coming up and being packed, and behaved in a way that indicated they knew something was up...

My Basset hound would travel with us and she "knew" when we leaving to go home; she would always come running and hang out with us as we were getting ready to go, it seemed like she wanted to make sure we didn't "forget her" lol

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 am

Jazzy wrote:Any chance the mirror could have somehow first fallen on it's own; and maybe she went over to investigate?

Or maybe realizing that you and the baby were "gone" somehow re-triggered old SA issues?
Siberian wrote:Husband thinks she was fighting with the dog in the mirror.

Kat, I think any of the above are plausible. Any chance you could video tape her while you were gone?

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm

I guess your guesses are as good as mine here :) I thought mirror could crack on its own, if we had a small earthquake, but nothing else in the house was out of place.

Maybe my and babies departure triggered her old SA, but then why mirror on the wall and not the door?

Spammie, I know she just sleeps when she is left alone.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:27 am

Was the separation anxiety "treated" with an electric collar, like other behavioral problems Sheba had/has? The easy fix tools are not only abusive at times, but they actually end up with the motivation for old behaviors "popping up" when there are changes in the environment, even when we think they are minor and not significant at all. The reason for it that behavior is not changed, but suppressed, and often for quite some time.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 am

Val, you know what happens when you make assumptions, right?
No, Sheba's separation anxiety was not treated with e-collar (how??), and neither was her behavioral issues.

Return to “Training and Behavior”