My dog is destroying my apartment

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
guile
Newborn Bully

Postby guile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 am

Hi all,

Dunno if you guys remeber me, i was here sometimes when i got shakira my pit 1 year and 3 months now. I dunno what else to do ll give some info so maybe someone help me.
1 - she is 1 year and 3 months.
2 - i have a westie female also that lives with her, i was here the other time to ask opinions about they live together, well they r doing good together. they spend the day together, unsupervisioned, adn at night the westie sleeps with us ( me and my wife) and the pit on the living room and kitchen.
3 - shakira is a bit dog agressive when we walk,maybe a lot bit hehe, but she loves nina the westie ( im really not worried about them together at this moment.
4 - when i realized i coulndt give enough exercise to her i hired a dog walker she walks 45 min 2 times a day 6 am and 7 pm. its a vigorous walk she gets home dead sometimes. the westie join on the afternoon walk.
5- well the problem is, when we are not home (from 8am to 5 pm), and sometimes at night, shakira is demolishing my apartment and furniture, ok im no expert but from what i researched dont seems to be sep anx, i would bet on hyper active dog.
6 - i live in an apartment, so no garden, she is not crate trained, but i think i can do that.
7- she has a trainer that works with positive reinforcement since she arrived with 2 months.

So im analizing my options cause we love her as a child but cant live like that.
im trying to get the walker to walk her 3 times a day, well 2 at 6 am 1 pm and i ll go at 6 pm.
the crate is the biggest question, how long can she be in during daytime? i heard i have to keep a close look if she is not hurting herself, looks like during night she can be crated all time right? but night is not the biggest problem. any other sugestions?

Sorry it gets so long i trid to give the full picture.

tks in advance.

guile
Newborn Bully

Re: My dog is destroying my apartment

Postby guile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 am

I forgot to say they have a lot of toys on the ground. I kinda learned what they fight for and took it off was just one kind of bone.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 am

Personally, I think you have a perfect set up for a dead westie.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 am

guile wrote:6 - i live in an apartment, so no garden, she is not crate trained, but i think i can do that.

I think you answered you own question :)

guile wrote:the crate is the biggest question, how long can she be in during daytime?

I think everyone is going to have different opinions on this. But if you keep the dog walker, and you crate her while you and your wife are at work (8-5) I think it isn't too much time in the crate. Could/would you perhaps consider putting her in a room by herself vs a crate? I know you're not concerned about her and the Westie being alone together throughout the day-but I really am. All it takes is one really bad fight, that no one is there to break up, and you could end up with either a seriously injured dog, or a dead one...it's too scary of a thought for me to leave my animals together when I leave the house-I love them too much!

In our house one of our dogs gets the master bedroom, another gets the majority of the house (living room, kitchen, dining room and hallway) and then the new foster is left in our spare/arts and crafts room. Originally our dog Trooper (the one who know has the main part of the house) used to be in his crate, while Bailey (the one who is know in the master bedroom) used to have the house. We tried all different kinds of scenarios to see which worked best. Even though I know Trooper loves his crate (goes in it on his own, sleeps in it, doesn't hesitate when asked to go in) I hated keeping him in such a small space. The set up we have now is what works best for the dogs-and keeps me happy. You're going to have to find that-something that works for the dogs, and keeps you (and your home) happy.

Good luck!

guile
Newborn Bully

Postby guile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

well she could get a room but she ll destroy it hehe, i ll try to crate.
Another question when its raining i put her on the treadmill, a human one, she do pretty well besides he goes all the way to the back as the collar lets. Is this set up ok or i really need to "box" it? and how i know how much is too much she dosent seen to get tired just bored lol.

tks again

ahh she used to have a room however she dindt liked at all, i heard the crate calm the dog down cause has no space to jump or something, the room was not good.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:37 pm

This:
guile wrote:they spend the day together, unsupervisioned

This:
shakira is a bit dog agressive when we walk,maybe a lot bit hehe

And this:
guile wrote:I forgot to say they have a lot of toys on the ground. I kinda learned what they fight for

Is a GREAT recipe for a disaster. Seriously. Please keep them separated when not supervised, especially if THEY HAVE ALREADY FOUGHT in the past. Or else your next thread in a couple of months will be "Shakira killed my Westie, what do I do now?"

As far as destroying the apartment, exercise her more and crate train her, you can get a bigger crate if she will have to stay in it for a while. She will be fine, especially if you have a dog walker walking her when you're not home. But I wouldn't crate her for the whole day AND at night, that's a bit too much crate time IMO. You can easily prevent her from destroying things during the night.

But please reconsider your habbit of leaving such a powerfull dog (who is dog agressive on top of everything) with a small westie unsupervised. Crate at least one of them, if not both when you're not home.

guile
Newborn Bully

Postby guile » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 am

Well i know its possible to have an incident between them, however they never had a fight, what i said is there is one special bone that the westie loves, she dont care for toys and such. the pit looooves the westie, she follos all the time ask to play th ewestie gets annoyed lol, like "come on im already 5 years let me rest lol". but yes i know its a risk. i try to socialize her max i can she go to hotel and stay with other dogs no prblem, you just have to introduce her calm and slow, slow 2 min i mean not hours.
But back to the point anyone knwo a crate train link? i couldnt find, and the treadmill can i use all open like humans?
And about the crate size, i remeber i read dogs stay calm inside cause its small diferent from a room, but i reseraached here yesterday and looks like u all say get the biggest u can, is that cause even the biggest is small enough to calm or the calm stuff is bs ?

Tks again.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 am

guile wrote: And about the crate size, i remeber i read dogs stay calm inside cause its small diferent from a room, but i reseraached here yesterday and looks like u all say get the biggest u can, is that cause even the biggest is small enough to calm or the calm stuff is bs ?

Tks again.

A dog will be calm in a crate if they are trained properly to see it as a comfortable, safe place. Some dogs accept a crate right away, some take more time and training, some never like the crate at all. The size of the crate does not affect this. If she is to be in it for several hours at a time, bigger is better.

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:09 pm

guile wrote:Well i know its possible to have an incident between them, however they never had a fight, what i said is there is one special bone that the westie loves, she dont care for toys and such. the pit looooves the westie, she follos all the time ask to play th ewestie gets annoyed lol, like "come on im already 5 years let me rest lol". but yes i know its a risk. i try to socialize her max i can she go to hotel and stay with other dogs no prblem, you just have to introduce her calm and slow, slow 2 min i mean not hours.
But back to the point anyone knwo a crate train link? i couldnt find, and the treadmill can i use all open like humans?
And about the crate size, i remeber i read dogs stay calm inside cause its small diferent from a room, but i reseraached here yesterday and looks like u all say get the biggest u can, is that cause even the biggest is small enough to calm or the calm stuff is bs ?

Tks again.

Your pit bull is getting to the age where her tolerance and admiration of the westie may begin to change. You should really keep them separated when not supervised.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 pm

star_frances wrote:
guile wrote: And about the crate size, i remeber i read dogs stay calm inside cause its small diferent from a room, but i reseraached here yesterday and looks like u all say get the biggest u can, is that cause even the biggest is small enough to calm or the calm stuff is bs ?

Tks again.

A dog will be calm in a crate if they are trained properly to see it as a comfortable, safe place. Some dogs accept a crate right away, some take more time and training, some never like the crate at all. The size of the crate does not affect this. If she is to be in it for several hours at a time, bigger is better.

This.
Even with proper training, my boxer never liked being crated.

guile
Newborn Bully

Postby guile » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:47 pm

tks a lot all

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:08 am

Our Peanut is 5 years old and she is in her crate every night for about 9-10 hours. I'm home all day so she only gets crated during the day when I go somewhere. It did take her a week or so to get used to the crate - we had no idea what we were doing really so we'd toss treats in and when she went in we would close the door. She would fuss for a few minutes then settle down. It got much easier once we moved the crate into the family room - it is pretty much in the middle of everything and away from drafts. Plus, one winter it got really cold and our house was drafty so I put a comforter over the top of the crate. It keeps her warm without being hot (we keep the a/c cold in summer) and really settles her down.

Now all we do is pop the lid on the special treat jar and she will almost knock people over trying to race into her crate.

We bought her the XL plastic crate from WalMart. It looks like the ones from the pet store but costs less. She isn't a big dog but we wanted room for her to stretch out to sleep and stand up. If you can fit a bigger one in and you want your dog to have more room, the Giant would be good.

If we were both working and had a dog walker, I would crate her all day and let the dog walker take her out and put her back in after she cools off (making sure she gets water while she was out). Plus I'd walk her myself once a day (or have DH walk her). At night I'd crate her in the bedroom if there was room. That way she is nearby and 'with' her people. Seriously, our dog must sleep 20 hours a day anyway.

Plus having a crate trained dog is a good idea in an emergency or even when you travel overnight somewhere.

guile
Newborn Bully

Postby guile » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 am

just an example of yesterday lol ok thsi time on the right thing

Return to “Training and Behavior”