how many of you have dogs that fight ?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: how many of you have dogs that fight ?

Postby UnconventionalLove » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:38 pm

I agree with the posts here! I also love the Badrap link that was posted, always useful.
We've only been a 2 dog household for 4 months, but in that time Lars (my almost 4 yr male) and Ginger (boyfriend's 5-6yr female) have been perfect matches for each other. Although that was by no accident, we did our research and looked around for the perfect dog for us all. Neither of them have ever guarded anything but we still don't give them the opportunity either. Toys/food/etc are only out when supervised, they are fed out of each other's sight, and crated when we aren't there with them, even if it's just to run across the street and back. It's not worth the risk, and I believe this goes for all dogs of every breed. There are too many horror stories to prove it.
I guess the pros would be that you prevent your dogs from potentially killing each other, with the cons being you need to crate train (which is easy and effective for many situations anyways).

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:31 pm

you're welcome - glad the link was helpful, Bad Rap has a lot of good info on their site for sure.

mrgrimm
Newborn Bully

Postby mrgrimm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Like some others have said in previous posts, nothing is guaranteed so you should always do your best to set them up for success! I look at at animals from the viewpoint of "what can I do for the animal" rather than, "what can the animal do for me" If you take that perspective, you will find that dogs and other animals are easier to get along with, because you can usually just blame yourself and work on those issues where YOU are lacking. Don't ever expect too much from them, rather expect A LOT from yourself to keep them healthy and happy! Granted, all dogs/animals are different and some require more care/attention than any one person can provide, so stay within your comfort limits and if you have a feeling that something may go wrong, it probably will, so adjust accordingly!

BTW, I do NOT seperate my 12 year old Rott from my 1 year old pit/terrier mix...they both stay in the garage together while I'm at work. For the first month or so I did, but I have ZERO and I mean ZERO worries about them together after a lot of monitoring. I do keep our foster pit/terrier mix alone in the laundry room, though - he is a bit of a tough guy and I would never trust him alone with my other dogs if I was out of audible range! Inside the house and out in the yard they are all fine together as long as we are present (A few times the play just gets too crazy and I have to break it up, always between my young dog and the foster- they don't even mess with my old Rottie and vice versa). All three dogs sleep in or around our bed at night with no problems at all...

snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby snikles » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:38 pm

I have a 1.5 year old female and a male that is probably about 7 months. They have lived together for the last three months. They haven't got into any fights and seem to get along fairly well. But I would never leave them alone and unsupervised because you never know what would happen.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. my dogs got along well for the first year of Terra's life. But once it was over, it was over. And no going back on my commitment to love and care for any of my dogs because they were suddenly far less convenient.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 pm

mrgrimm wrote:BTW, I do NOT seperate my 12 year old Rott from my 1 year old pit/terrier mix...they both stay in the garage together while I'm at work. For the first month or so I did, but I have ZERO and I mean ZERO worries about them together after a lot of monitoring.
IMO leaving two MALES alone together is just asking for trouble. They might get along for now, but your younger dog is still very young and being a pit mix he could change his attitude towards other dogs, especially males, when he matures. I would be afraid for my senior dog if I were you, that's one of the reasons why I don't leave my two perfectly trustworthy dogs alone without supervision. In four years since they are together they've only had a couple of minor scuffles that were caused by resource (food) guarding. If you make sure there is no food anywhere, it's highly unlikely they would ever fight, they are great with eachother and since my female got older, they pretty much just sleep together all day, they don't even play with eachother anymore. And I STILL don't leave them together when nobody is home, at least one of them is crated. My female is 10 years old and getting weaker, if they would ever get into a fight and I'm not there to stop it, it's pretty much obvious who would lose. I would NEVER forgive myself in that case, especially because it's so easily preventable.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I have a household of 3 females, aged nearly 14 (Xanny), 7 (Soleil) and nearly 2 (Scheme). I do a significant amount of managing. Scheme eats in her crate, I supervise the other 2. Virtually no toys out. When I'm away, Scheme is always crated.
Xanny was in charge of everyone, but she is ill and weak now, and that has changed. Soleil remains very submissive, but about 6 months ago, I noticed Scheme growing less tolerant towards Xanny. I changed the dog bed set up, so that Xanny gets one all to herself. Soleil aqnd Scheme play well together, but I monitor that closely as well.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Some of the worst fights I know about involved dogs that usually got along. Until then.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Shoshana wrote:Some of the worst fights I know about involved dogs that usually got along. Until then.

Exactly. Everything is always fine, until it isn't. Hopefully not too many people have ever had their dogs injure/kill each other and say "Well, I totally saw that coming." That's why they're called 'accidents'.
Common sense dictates being proactive to prevent accidents, especially when it's so easy and the payoff is irreplaceable.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 am

In my experience, the first fight is not necessarily the really bad one, unless you have horrible luck or aren't there to break it up. The dogs get better at throwing down the more it happens. Sometimes the first time it all goes bad, it seems to be as much of a surprise to the dogs as it is to the humans. Or not. Either way, better to just be prepared and stack the odds in your favor.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 pm

I've got a male and a female - spayed and neutered. They've been living together since they were puppies and are now 6 & 7 years old. They didn't start fighting until the age of 4. The fights were never that bad, no big gashes and they always seperated when a "HEY!" was yelled. Until about 6 months ago, when the Boxer got tired of being attacked and wanted to kill the Pit Bull. Boxer is bigger than Pit Bull and fully capable of carrying out the task.

They are now seperated and only allowed to be around each other outside, while one is leashed.

It started because the PIt Bull gradually became intolerant of the Boxer being in her space. He never minded anyone getting in his face, but she can't handle it. He doesn't pay attention to her signals and so she bites him. He gets upset and it's ON.

Return to “Training and Behavior”