I almost lost it this morning!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Sparkles
Newborn Bully

I almost lost it this morning!

Postby Sparkles » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 am

Well, it's been a frustrating morning for Miss Violet. My son got up and she got so excited she jumped up on him and started biting him. It freaked him out and when I said No she started barking at me! Little chocolate! This was even after a long walk! I was so ready to just give up this morning! I'm so frustrated. I've been working so hard with her that it's getting frustrating to continuously see this behavior. I know it takes time...but I lost every nerve this morning!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: I almost lost it this morning!

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:23 am

I'm typing this on my phone, so my reply may seem a bit curt.

From reading this and some of your other posts, I have a few points to make...
1 pit bulls are high energy dogs that need a job. A walk is usually not enough.
2 You may be physically working the dog, but you are neglecting to work her brain. ALL meals need to be fed from work to eat toys, such as Kong Wobbler, tug-a-jug, buster cube, or even a raw meaty bone. She needs more mental stimulation.
3 Her past means nothing. Don't dwell on it, she doesn't. Stop feeling sorry for her over things you think could have been. It's not helping.
4 You are giving your PUPPY entirely too many privileges. Start a strict NILF program ASAP. She may throw a fit for the first few days, let her. She will get over it.
5 It's highly unlikely she is truly starving. Dogs always act like this, otherwise begging wouldn't be as effective. Ignore it and just feed her normal meals.
6 Remember she is a puppy! Dogs aren't born knowing how to behave. Everything a dog does (good or bad) is a learned behavior.
7 Enroll in puppy classes as soon as possible.

Read the "Got a mouthy puppy" and "nilf" threads.
If you don't have one already, get a crate and use it.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 am

:goodpost:

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I was gonna say what Moores said. Good post Moores!

Please look at NILF and Got a Mouthy Pup stickies. Read them thoroughly, and apply the techniques. I've had great success with both on Curly and foster dogs.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:55 pm

I posted you some suggestions in the Behavior forum...did you get a look?

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I really agree with the NILIF suggestion. Dogs WANT to work for their food (wolves hunted as a pack for food, its a fun game and it challenges them, it gives them a reason to listen to you). Doing NILIF in my own life with Duke has increased his attentiveness to me about 5000%. He was never a super jumpy/hyper dog, but what energy he does have, he actually burns it off by paying attention to me and listening to me and working to get what he wants as a team with me. You will be surprised how much MENTAL exhaustion can make a dog much more behaved.

I also agree with a crate if you don't have one already. In high energy situations like what happened this morning, NOTHING good will come of it until EVERYONE settles down. That includes you! Put Vi in her crate (NOT AS PUNISHMENT, as a safe happy place where she can take a chill pill... so get her appropriately crate trained first via positive associations with her den) and then put yourself in a hot bubble bath! Hahaha but seriously.... do NOT get frustrated. Think of it from Vi's point of view. Everything in her life is given to her for free, she gets a walk which wears her out physically but it throws a TON of stimulus at her which gets her brain turning a millions miles a minute, not to mention her adrenaline. Then she goes back home and is stuck with all this STIMULUS with no outlet (I suggest puzzle toys and chew toys).

And all of a sudden... YOUR SON! To your dog, from what I have read, your son is a source of extreme play. She watches them wrestle, sometimes joins in (probably to their encouragement, whether they realize they are encouraging it or not). THIS IS AWESOME ITS PLAY TIME, ITS ONNNNN! So of COURSE she jumps up and starts to play rough (she has done it in the past and the game only got heightened from there to more fun and squeeling and moving yaaaay!). And then when you tell her NO all she hears is WOOF WOOF WOOF and thinks you are joining in the games and barks back at you (cuz all your NO is to her is a bark to add to the chaos). THIS IS A BLAST FOR HER!!!

Do you see what I'm getting at? He means you NO DISRESPECT. He means your so no disrespect. He thinks this is a game, he is having fun and you are all joining in! And you expect him to have a conscious awareness that this behavior is "wrong" but he does not have the ability to reason like that. He does what immediately rewards him, and thus far the situation has been very rewarding for him. FINALLY SOMETHING TO DO.

So, you essentially have been setting Vi up to fail. And then you get frustrated and she is just totally confused. So now she found an outlet for her energy but you are yelling at her for it, so she is stuck again totally riled up and not having a clue what she did wrong or what she is supposed to do instead.

I again recommend ignoring her behavior. This means your kids have GOT to take responsibility. They need to understand she is behaving as a puppy, and the only way to stop that is for them to turn their backs, stop moving, and completely ignore her. ANY MOVEMENT and ANY SOUND means PLAY TIME. Until your children understand that silence is the key, nothing will change. Vi will not learn that it is not a game. Once she learns that her bad behavior results in being ignored, she will try other things to get your attention that she knows have also worked in the past, like SITTING. THAT is a good game! Reward that! By getting a ball out and playing fetch, an APPROPRIATE form of play. And again, once she gets rowdy, IGNORE. If she refuses to calm down, CRATE. If you can't ignore, CRATE. Anything else is only serving her function exactly.... she gets attention from you.

Teach her what can and cannot win affection and attention. ONLY GOOD BEHAVIOR. The rest is IGNORED.

She is a puppy, she NEEDS you to be patient with her and take the time to teach her what to do. She wants your guidance because she wants to know how to behave to get attention. She will thrive on the challenge, trust me, she sounds extremely smart just without the means to display her intelligence and energy in appropriate ways. She will learn faster than you think, but it will require a huge attitude shift in you and your family. I would even go so far as to say that until she learns how to behave by the children and until the children learn how to behave around her, exposure to each other should be limited. You need to start over on a clean, fresh start. So give yourself a week to get a game plan together with you and your family (HEY THAT MEANS VI TOO!) and then at the start of the week, DO IT. Don't look back. Don't skimp. Be firm. The more time you spend now, the less you will have to spend later. Fix the problems before they get worse. Really commit the time needed.

You owe it to your family. And believe me, Vi wants to please you, she loves you in that special way only pitties can. Set her up to succeed and share in the celebrations together! Avoid all situations that she will fail at. That way everyone can be happy, and a happy safe environment is one that leads to positive training and much quicker learning.

You can do this! Do not give up! Keep us updated and we are here for you and Vi.

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I suppose I should clarify that EVENTUALLY you will have to trust her in those situations she might fail at. But for now let everyone take a breather until you can all learn how to control the chaos. You obviously have a lot of energy in that household so give yourself a pay on the back, reward yourself too!!! You are managing much better than most would, so keep pushing to manage the insanity and before you know it a routine will be developed and everyone will know their roles, especially Vi. Good luck!!

Return to “Training and Behavior”