My dog is peeing on my couch

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
randomroads
Matured Bully

My dog is peeing on my couch

Postby randomroads » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm

My dog has peed on my couch about five times since getting her. This evening she did it again right in front of me and her whole attitude about it was 'this is normal, this is what I'm supposed to do.'

We were training doors and I had her on a leash. When I released her from a heel position (we're working on focused heel for rally) she IMMEDIATELY ran over to the couch and peed on it. She didn't even seem confused when I told her NO! Bad Dog! and immediately rushed her outside where she finished peeing.

My dog does not have any UTI's or medical issues. This is training related, but I have no idea how to stop her from doing this. Any ideas? It's only the old couch. I've been treating the pet stains with Natures Miracle every time, but she doesn't exactly sniff the couch like it's the most amazing pee spot ever. She sleeps on it all the time and it's only been a hand full of times she's peed on it. I'm getting to the point where I want to throw the couch out and refuse to let her on any of my furniture ever again.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: My dog is peeing on my couch

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 pm

That may be your best bet for a few months++....?!? Ugh sorry you are dealing with that - I don't have a lot of patience with htat but also don't understand all of the nuances like how you 'might' have helped 'set' that pattern if you had anything to do with that at all.... very frustrating indeed!!!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 pm

How old is she and has she been spayed?

You may need to have the couch cleaned. The cleaner spray only does so much.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 pm

She's sixish and she is spayed. It was done when I adopted her earlier this year.

I've thrown the couch out and have stopped allowing her on the furniture. It was really random when she'd pee on it, but I refused to buy another bottle of Nature's Miracle. Hopefully she won't decide to start peeing on the NICE NEW COUCH I recently bought. I'll be very angry if she does, but she hasn't been allowed on it yet. I bought her a new bed (memory foam!) and put it next to the new couch so she had something plushy to lay on in the living room.

I think the thing that made me mad about this couch was that she wouldnt' even spend time sniffing it. it was just a hop up and squat. Outside she takes forever to find the perfect spot to water, and if she's going to have an accident in the house she's always sniffing the carpet near the door as a warning signal that she's about to go. She's a sniffer, so this behavior is completely weird.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 am

Maybe some mild incontinence? Maybe she "leaked" a little then it smelled like a good place to go, then it just became "normal"?

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

Often inappropriate urination can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. Might be worth taking a urine sample in to the vet.

Return to “Training and Behavior”