Long time pack mates recent fighting

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Re: Long time pack mates recent fighting

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:35 pm

When a fight happens, it's important to give them a two week cool down period. Putting them right back together is a bad idea. The stress caused by the fight doesn't fully leave their system for a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken. As long as the stress is there, there will be tension and a greater risk of a fight.

Do not allow them to eat from the same bowl. If they're fighting over space, don't be surprised if they start battling over food.

People talk about their dogs being in a pack. Are you aware how a pack really works? Pack doesn't mean "live together forever as friends and in peace." I dont think its even a real pack. you forced the dogs to live together, it wasnt a natural occurance. Even then, canines do have altercations and members are run off, attacked and even killed. Doesn't matter how long they've lived together or if they're blood relatives. Changes happen and dogs stop being compatable. It's always a risk when having more than one dog. Unfortunately. :(

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Dogs are not pack animals, biologically speaking. Dominance and submission is not really a consideration in their relationships, unless you're speaking specifically about some sort of resource.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 112711.htm

BrokenAquarian is right I think about the longer "chill out" time. My first thought is that maybe your female (or both) should have a medical check up. Sometimes dogs can sense something is not right with another dog and this upsets their stress levels with each other. It could possibly also be related to higher stress with a new person and new dog in the mix, even if there is not conflict there directly. My two dogs never had a fight until my male was 4 and my female 7, after my third dog died. I don't know for sure if it was related, but it does upset their sense of how the world should be.

And yes, eating out of the same bowl is not a good idea. Get them some food toys and feed them completely separately.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Also, definitely have them both checked out at your vet.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:57 pm

With both dogs being seniors, rule out medical first. Have a full blood panel (incl thyroid) done on both and some basic hip and elbow x-rays. Pain and/or illness can be a cause of uncharacteristic behavior.

In the meantime, just keep them separate and let them cool down.

If the one dog was having a seizure, that very well could be a cause of the other "attacking" in that situation.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm

These below might be helpful links, suggest you also get a break stick. Also see thread in training "how to break up a fight" sticky...

I am inclined to think the presence of the other dog was/is the trigger.
Agree with advice given here....

http://www.badrap.org/node/96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.badrap.org/node/99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 pm

:thumbsup:

Return to “Training and Behavior”