Piper snapped at someone today, What to do?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Piper snapped at someone today, What to do?

Postby pipersmom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 pm

A little background first. Piper has lymphoma and she is currently going through chemo(on our 6 month of treatment). This means she goes the vet every week to get poked and prodded. She is a staff favorite because she is such sweet, tolerant girl. Never ever gives any of the techs or Dr. any trouble. She has never been scared of going to the vet but lately she is noticeably nervous when we drop her off for treatment. Shaking and putting on her brakes when we get in the waiting room. Because of our work schedules we drop her off every Thursday morning for treatment and pick her up when we get off in the late afternoon. I figure she is probably getting sick of going. I asked the techs if she is like that the entire time she is there, they say no she stops as soon as leave. She also recently came out of remission :crybaby: and has a horrible skin infection due to her suppressed immune system. She is not feeling 100%.

So today, we had to talk to the doctor when we picked her up. He was busy with another patient so we were waiting in the waiting room. It was kind of chaotic in there today. One of the girls that works in the doggie daycare(who I have never seen before) came out and did the usual Oh she is so pretty! to piper and started petting her, than proceeds to stick her face in Piper's face asking does she like kisses. My hubby and I both said no not really, I could tell Piper was nervous, trying to turn her face away from this girls face so I reached down to put my hand in between the girls face and Piper's face, hoping to give the girl the hint. Right as I did that, Piper snapped at the girl. It was just a warning and no contact. No one was bit thank goodness. It was totally out of character for her. I should have told the girl to get out of my sick dogs face but didn't know how to without seeming like a jerk. The girl that works with dogs all day also should have had enough sense not to stick her face in my dog’s face also. Now I'm nervous about the next time she goes for treatment. We also have to go out of town in two weeks and I board the girls there. Should I be worried or was this a freak thing that happened? Piper is very well trained and socialized, has her CGC, and has never shown any sort of aggression.I really should have just told her to get her face out of my dog's face.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Piper snapped at someone today, What to do?

Postby MarMar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm sorry, that's sucky. It's never a nice experience to have your dog act out of character or in a way that is scary. First off, one thing I've learned is that being involved in the dog industry, is certainly no guarantee that a person can read or respect a dog's body language (look at the Dog Whisperer haha).

I would also be pretty sure that Piper's illness is a huge factor and she sounds like a very tolerant dog who was just pushed beyond her limit. Especially because she snapped and did not make contact, this is good. I know that I'm more grumpy when I feel sick for sure and might do things out of character for me. Will she eat at the vet? If so then perhaps the next time you go, take some delicious treats and feed her when something happens that might make her nervous. You might also want to get her used to a basket muzzle, just in case. That way if you need it, she won't be more stressed by it, and you might feel more relaxed.

Do you have the option of maybe having someone come and stay in your house instead of boarding her when you go away? You might worry less, because you can't control who interacts with her in the vet clinic.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear that but I would not be overly concerned in this case- she is obviously feeling very unwell, she gave warning signs which were ignored and then she snapped -did not make contact which shows restraint.

However I would certainly take steps to ensure "caution" is taken around her in that her space is respected in future and that you do what you can to make sure she is comfortable. I too wonder if you could have someone come in to care for her - if not, I would have a significant talk to the vet where you board about your concerns and how you want her to be looked after while you are gone.

pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pipersmom » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had someone to come to house to look after the girls when we have to go out of town. I have tried to find some sort of pet sitter but just can't find one. None of our family or friends are able to either. Our vet is a very good friend of my husband's so I'm thinking about giving him a call and talking to him about my concerns. Like I said Piper has never shown that type of behavior. She has also been boarded there many times.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm sorry that happened. I would maybe ask to speak to one of the managers/vets and just let them know your concerns ahead of time. I work at a clinic and so many people I work with are absolutely clueless when it comes to dog body language and handling.

And don't hold it against Piper. She is likely feeling terrible and you're right, she's likely tired of being pokes and prodded. Hugs to you both!

burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:45 am

im of no help on your original question... but since I just found out my best friend(Blanco) has lymphoma I have been doing a lot of research and trying to decide what are his and mine best options....

it seems a lot of people put their dog on some kind of immunity booster during chemo? like K9 Immunity Plus, K9 criticalcare...

have you tried any of these? might help with skin problems?

pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pipersmom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:36 am

So sorry about Blanco. If you are trying to decided between chemo or no chemo, I would recommend chemo 110%. Piper's chemo side effects have been very, very minimal. It's worth it to gain more time with her while her still having great quality of life. There is a great yahoo group for dogs with lymphoma called lymphoma heart dogs. Great place to get lots of questions answered.

She does take K9 immnuity, eats a cancer diet, and takes other recommended cance supplememnts. Good luck to you and Blanco. :hug:

burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm

pipersmom wrote:So sorry about Blanco. If you are trying to decided between chemo or no chemo, I would recommend chemo 110%. Piper's chemo side effects have been very, very minimal. It's worth it to gain more time with her while her still having great quality of life. There is a great yahoo group for dogs with lymphoma called lymphoma heart dogs. Great place to get lots of questions answered.

She does take K9 immnuity, eats a cancer diet, and takes other recommended cance supplememnts. Good luck to you and Blanco. :hug:

I am definitely torn between starting chemo and waiting to manage pain or use other holistic measures. He is my best friend and I really want to do whatever I can. I don't want to make him sicker earlier than he would be.

Oncologist quoted $5500 for 27wk protocol, 3500-4000 for 18 week protocol or prednisone with no chance of chemo later.

He is 13... But doesnt act like it. Other than his lumps you wouldn't know he was sick. To think he will wake up one day and it will be downhill from there is heart breaking. I have been up for the last two days in and out of tears not knowing what to do.

I've heard of people taking their dogs to oncologist in smaller cities or other states to get a better price. One person I talked to paid 2500 for Wisconsin protocol in Oklahoma. While my oncologist in Dallas wants 5000 plus blood work and urinalysis.

Ugh.. thanks for listening

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pipersmom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

burn504 wrote:
pipersmom wrote:So sorry about Blanco. If you are trying to decided between chemo or no chemo, I would recommend chemo 110%. Piper's chemo side effects have been very, very minimal. It's worth it to gain more time with her while her still having great quality of life. There is a great yahoo group for dogs with lymphoma called lymphoma heart dogs. Great place to get lots of questions answered.

I am definitely torn between starting chemo and waiting to manage pain or use other holistic measures. He is my best friend and I really want to do whatever I can. I don't want to make him sicker earlier than he would be.

Oncologist quoted $5500 for 27wk protocol, 3500-4000 for 18 week protocol or prednisone with no chance of chemo later.

He is 13... But doesnt act like it. Other than his lumps you wouldn't know he was sick. To think he will wake up one day and it will be downhill from there is heart breaking. I have been up for the last two days in and out of tears not knowing what to do.

I've heard of people taking their dogs to oncologist in smaller cities or other states to get a better price. One person I talked to paid 2500 for Wisconsin protocol in Oklahoma. While my oncologist in Dallas wants 5000 plus blood work and urinalysis.

Ugh.. thanks for listening

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Chemo is very expensive. I don't even want to think of what we have spent so far. Easily $6,000 plus. It's been worth it for us personally. Piper's only 4, diagnosed when she was 3 1/2 though. If she would have been 13 when diognosed, we might have gone a different route. No situation is the same so you just have to think about what works the best for you and your pup. There are also many chemo protocols out there. Some more expensive than others. Ask your oncologist what your options are. Whatever you decide, I'll keep you in my prayers. So sorry you are also on the horrible Lymphoma emotional rollercoaster.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

I would talk to your vet or the head tech/manager.

Would going into that clinic for a "fun" visit (no treatment at all, just to hang out and eat cookies) on occasion be an option for you? It may help her ease the building tension and dislike of the vet's office. Even the sweetest most carefree individual will start to dislike a place that they are always being poked and prodded at, regardless of how well they are handled.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm

I agree, sounds like a perfectly normal reaction given the environment and how she was feeling.

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Poor piper I am pretty sure its because she doesn't feel well, give her big hug from me. I would talk to the vets there, and take precautions from now on, like a soft muzzle..

pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pipersmom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks everybody. Piper lost her battle with cancer 2 weeks ago. When she came out of remission, the cancer became resistant to the chemo and we couldn't seem to slow it down. She went downhill very fast. We had to make the choice to end her suffering on Valentines day. Missing our sweet girl so much. :crybaby:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm very sorry to read this. RIP Piper.

Return to “Training and Behavior”