Is this something i should worry? DOMINANCE

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Is this something i should worry? DOMINANCE

Postby lennoxlewis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:28 pm

I need help. For once i was agressive towards my puppy and i feel really bad. I am reading and gathering all info i can so i can deal with his bad behaviour that i believe can be just because he is young. I slapped his bottom when he was beeing stubborn trying to bite my forearm. I was really sorry (still am) but it was really what made him stop. 8(

He is about to make 2 months old but already displays this kind of behaviour i am worried about:

Very stubborn

Humped my arm one or 2 times

Peeing out of the designated areas (i have newspaper areas for him to pee inside the house until he gets vaccinated and can go out)

Jumping or putting their paws on me (like to sit besides me and put his front paws on my foot)

Persistence about being on a particular area when asked to stay off (i divided the couch in half: one side with blanket for him, the other for me but he goes straight for my half when up on the couch. When i sit he wants to get on my lap no mather what)

Persistence about going in and out of doorways before me

Nipping at people's heels when they are leaving or walking across house

Persistence about being on top, be it a lap or stepping on my foot

Persistence about where they sleep (first night he slept in my bed, wanting to sleep besides my head on my pillow. Since then i let him sleep on the couch but i have an area with cushions right besides my bem for him too)

Likes to sleep on top of me if i let him

High-pitched screams in protest of something he does not wish to do and recently barks

For what i read, this can be his display of dominance over me but some others just say its a natural behaviour of his young age.

To be honest i fear not controling him. He is such a little guy with so much strong personality i cannot imagine what he will be if he does not change until he gets his adult power, both jaw and body. I feel i cannot calm him down, thats what worries me.

I ordered a clicker to help me but if someone has some comments on this, please do. Next month i will get some professional help here. I am searching for a good professional in my area.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Is this something i should worry? DOMINANCE

Postby MarMar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:36 pm

He's not being dominant. However it's hard to say from just descriptions if he's being a "normal" puppy or if there is some sort of other issue (it IS possible for puppies to be abnormally aggressive at that age).

Be very very careful when finding a professional (which I really recommend you do, as soon as possible).

http://themarlotrust.wordpress.com/how- ... -can-help/

ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby ThreeTails » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 pm

It does sound like just puppy behavior. He is a teething animal that until recently was in a group of other animals that communicated primarily with body language. You are his world now, and there will be some friction!

I would suggest working towards taking him outside for potty training. Unless you are in a high-risk area for Parvo (your vet can tell you) I wouldn't worry about trips outside in areas that aren't frequented by other dogs, on a leash so that you can make sure he's not eating the ground or anything else. That way he can learn the proper way to potty and at the same time get used to the sounds of cars, birds, the weather and all those other things that an unsocialized dog might balk at.

Good luck!

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Search 'nothing in life is free' on this forum. I promise you 100% if you follow this POSITIVE and SUPER FUN training method, every single one of the problems will be addressed!! You will even find happy mediums for some of the problems you are facing... if he sits and stays for two minutes, is it okay if you let him lay on top of you for some affectionate cuddle time? Both of you will be much happier with the nothing in life is free program.

Thank you for being responsible about wanting to properly train your pooch. Always be positive, make it fun, and work as a team; he just sounds like a normal puppy to me! He is counting on you to teach him how to behave in our human world. Be patient and positive and have fun with it. You will be shocked at how quickly the two of you grow together as a working team.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 pm

So if he is almost 8 weeks old now, how old was he when you first brought him home?

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 am

This explains article explains the proper behavior definition of dominance, the gal who put it together is credentialed in dog behavior and has spoken to classes as UC Davis on the subject of dog behavioral studies.
http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 am

rgyoung777 wrote:So if he is almost 8 weeks old now, how old was he when you first brought him home?

I brought him home the 03 Feb. The mother was abandoned as pregnant and has lot of skin problems along with others, so the puppys have been took away as soon as possible to prevent further problems. Even so, my little Zuki got scabies, and that ALSO may play a part in his lack of patience. It really annoyes him, first 2 night before i got it to the vet we did not sleep because he was scratching so much and crying.

Many thanks all for your comments, this is very challenging. As a plus, i have a cat already, they are getting along too. Cat still does not like him to get lightly bit.

I am getting better nights of sleep, today he woke me up at 6AM because he pooped and peed. I got up to clean it and we got back to sleep.

Thank you once more, you all are great. :thumbsup:

Toycrusier
Newborn Bully

Postby Toycrusier » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:15 am

I adopted Roxy from the local animal control when she was around 9 mos. old. Shortly after getting her home she pee'd and pooped on the floor. (wooden luckily) . We let her know what a bad dog she was and that was not the thing to do and took her outside. I'm sure she did it because she was scared so we didn't really punish her. Just a little. She has never pee'd or pooped on the floor again. Soon after that in a matter of 2 or 3 days , she chewed up 2 telephones and 3 remotes. After chewing up the 3rd remote I whacked her on the butt pretty hard and gave her a good chewing out. She never did it again. IMO I think that a little corporal punishment for some dogs can go a long way. As long as there is a lot of loving, and hugging to go along with it.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 am

Toycrusier wrote:I adopted Roxy from the local animal control when she was around 9 mos. old. Shortly after getting her home she pee'd and pooped on the floor. (wooden luckily) . We let her know what a bad dog she was and that was not the thing to do and took her outside. I'm sure she did it because she was scared so we didn't really punish her. Just a little. She has never pee'd or pooped on the floor again. Soon after that in a matter of 2 or 3 days , she chewed up 2 telephones and 3 remotes. After chewing up the 3rd remote I whacked her on the butt pretty hard and gave her a good chewing out. She never did it again. IMO I think that a little corporal punishment for some dogs can go a long way. As long as there is a lot of loving, and hugging to go along with it.

OP Please do NOT follow this advice.

Toycrusier, we do not advocate physical punishment or Dominance Theory here. There are far better ways to train, specifically positive reinforcements. It just takes a little more effort on the humans part. You should also read the previous link Celeste posted regarding Dominance Theory to educate yourself on the techniques you choose to use. You should want your dog to do things because they want to please you, not because they are afraid of being physically punished. No dog NEEDS a heavy hand.

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 am

I'm with Curly_07 on this one. Its just not right to force your will on punishment.

What will happen when a full grown pitbull, very athletic, has had enough with that sort of treatment?

I do not believe you will be able to stop an enraged pitbull.

Toycrusier
Newborn Bully

Postby Toycrusier » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:33 am

I'm sorry , and your probably right, but all I can say is Roxy is around 3 1/2 yrs. old now, and has not chewed on anything she is not supposed to since. And she sure as heck gets lots of lovin and gives a lot in return.
So it worked for her and I.

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 am

i believe that if it was a particular action that will not leave marks versus someone who does that in a consistent maner.

good for you it worked anyway, i hope i get your results aswell.

cheers

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Toycrusier wrote:I'm sorry , and your probably right, but all I can say is Roxy is around 3 1/2 yrs. old now, and has not chewed on anything she is not supposed to since. And she sure as heck gets lots of lovin and gives a lot in return.

Sure it worked, but WHY? Because you scared your dog and hurt her. Why take that route if it's is unnecessary?
I will never understand how someone can opt to do such things in the name of fast results. I don't want my dog to "behave" because he is afraid of consequences, I want him to "behave" because he thinks it's rewarding and fun. Makes for a better dog and human relationship in the long run and nobody gets hurt or scared! Seems so simple to me...

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 pm

UnconventionalLove wrote:
Toycrusier wrote:I'm sorry , and your probably right, but all I can say is Roxy is around 3 1/2 yrs. old now, and has not chewed on anything she is not supposed to since. And she sure as heck gets lots of lovin and gives a lot in return.

Sure it worked, but WHY? Because you scared your dog and hurt her. Why take that route if it's is unnecessary?
I will never understand how someone can opt to do such things in the name of fast results. I don't want my dog to "behave" because he is afraid of me being violent or scary towards him, I want him to "behave" because he thinks it's rewarding and fun. Makes for a better dog and human relationship in the long run and nobody gets hurt or scared! Seems so simple to me...

Return to “Training and Behavior”