PeePoop out of control

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

PeePoop out of control

Postby lennoxlewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi all!

So my Zuki will celebrate 2 months old tomorrow.

He does not go outside yet to pee or poop since the vacination is not complete yet.

We is somewhat disciplined regarding doing it on some newpaper i put on the ground BUT it seems he is getting more and more random on the places he pees and poops.

Now he pees on the hall, other bedrooms, kitchen entrance...

TODAY he reached the point i never tought would happen! He peed on one of his beds. I always tought it would not be possible for a puppy to do it on his bed but i was proven wrong.

My theory on these problems:

- maybe i have layed around to much areas for him. I have 3 diferent places with newspaper on the floor. should i have a single place for him to go bathroom?

- the bed he peed is along my bed on the floor, but he rarely uses it. is that the reason? he does not see it has a official bed?

- is he marking territory because of my cat?

He had is first shot vacination today. Still need 2 more. But i have a terrace that is free of dogs that i feel is safe for him.. should i terminate every pee spots here and start conditioning him to go ONLY outside. Is that a reality to expect a young puppy to be educated or should it be around 6 months?

I also changed his meals. He now has water ALWAYS available and food twice a day. With that, i hope to get him conditioned to go outside in the morning (i open the door to the terrace during the half an hour i am getting ready to go out) and in the night after his dinner.

What are your toughts on this? Doing it right? Thinking right?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: PeePoop out of control

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 pm

He's only 8 weeks old. You're expecting way too much from him.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Think of him as a 1 1/2 to 2 year old child. They're still in diapers for a reason. He's really not mentally or physically mature enough for what you want.

ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby ThreeTails » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:49 pm

I think you should be working on getting him to go outside. At the very least you shouldn't wait until 6 months - he's going to be close to his full size by then (height at least) and could you imagine the mess? He is going to have to go a lot more often than twice a day, though. More like every three hours at the longest, better to give him the opportunity every couple hours.

If you still want to keep with the indoor paper, I'd go with only one spot.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:24 am

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm on my phone and my long reply is a huge pain to type out so it will seem... short.

For starters, you are expecting way too much from an 8 week old puppy. Secondly, he has entirely too much freedom.

The general rule of thumb for how long a puppy can "hold it" is one hour for every month of age (until about 7/8 months).
Going by this rule, you can only really expect an 8 week old puppy to be able to go about 2 hours before they have to "go" again.

My first suggestion is going to be: get a crate and use it.
To save some money in the long run, you can get one that will fit him as an adult as long as you (make sure it comes with one) use the divider the crate comes with. He should be able to sit, stand, turn around, and lay down, but not have extra room to potty in one end and sleep in the other. The majority of dogs will not eliminate where they sleep (unless forced to). If at any time you are not able to directly supervise him (I.e. overnight), he should be crated.

Take him out to potty every few hours and at minimum once in the middle of the night. Take him out every time he wakes up from a nap, and after eating or playing.

Every time you take him out, take him out on leash. Stand in one spot and say your potty word and don't move until he does. As soon as he goes, throw a huge party. Get super excited, give him a really good treat, play a fun game, and act like him going outside was the best thing that has ever happened. He will quickly learn that going when you say to go super awesome things happen. Do not take the leash off until after he has pottied for a few months. Get him in the habit of going first and playing second.

When he is loose in the house, keep a close eye on him. Keep him in the same room as you, and every time he "wanders off" immediately get his attention and take him out to potty. Puppies potty signals can be subtle. Something as small as sniffing the floor, wandering to a corner, or sitting/standing in an entry way can all be signals he has to go. When a puppy has to go, they have to go now. They physically can't hold it for more than a few moments, so be alert and watch for his signs. If keeping him in the same room as you is proving difficult, tether him to you. Wrap one leash around your waist and attach a second one from you to him.

Never ever "scold" any dog for eliminating in the house (unless they are currently in the process of going, but I will touch on this next), scold yourself for not paying attention. A dog will not understand that you are mad because he pooped on the kitchen floor 2 hours ago. He will think you are mad becauseof what ever he is currently doing (which will completely ruin a good "come" command if he gets punished right after he came to you) and that you apparently freak out over stuff on the floor. If you can't help yourself and you must grumble over a potty accident, next time you clean up the mess (because there will be a next time), put him in his crate or a different room and berate yourself for notseeing his signal, waiting too long, or for your poor choice in cleaner scents. Nothing else will be more effective.

If you catch him "in the act", just say a firm (never loud or "mean" sounding) no and take him directly outside. Do they above mentioned potty command/party routine, then come back in a clean up. Nothing more, nothing less. Never physically punish a dog for eliminating in the house. Doing so will only create more problems.

Remember... it's called an accident for a reason.

By taking him outside on a leash to a designated area, you will greatly reduce the chances of him picking up an illness. Sometimes you have to determine if the benefits of the training out-weigh the risks of exposure. In the case of potty training, it is worth it as long as you are careful. The risk of him catching something in your own yard, 3 feet from you, and only being "exposed" for a few minutes is low. The risk of having a 50# 8 month old dog that only wants to poop on paper in the house if not taught otherwise at a young age, is much higher.

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 am

Many, many thanks!

The main conclusion is that, i am expecting too much. The reason i was getting frustrated was the fact he learns things SO FAST its incredible. He is really smart.

He learned to go on designated areas (3) but now he seems to forget some times or do it wrong for some reason.

It is like the "problem" i am having with the water and the food from the cat. He knows exactly that he should not touch it, and doesnt if i am present.. Today i put him his breakfast, he finished and went alone to the kitchen and went for the cats food. When i arrived (entering like a ninja, not doing noise) i said a loud NO! he got frighten the poor guy. I guess in his head the combination of being surprised and knowing he was doing wrong was too much for him.

Today i am of duty i will go buy a light anti fleas collar and get him to wear it preparing him for his "final" collar to start and train him to go outside.

thank you all, have a nice day! :thumbsup:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 am

Put the cat food somewhere where he can't get it. Dogs are opportunists and he will simply learn to eat it when you aren't around :) Food is food.

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 am

yes, i have put now on the table, cat jumps to eat and drink.

Now had to cover the cats sand box because i think he takes cat poop of the box... oh my god.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:27 am

All of this is normal dog behavior.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:55 pm

moorsesmajestic the time you take to type out and explain is great :thumbsup:

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Nickdawg wrote:moorsesmajestic the time you take to type out and explain is great :thumbsup:

agree 200%

Thank you! It is precious info for me as you can imagine.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Aww... thanks! I just didn't want the tone of the post to be misconstrued. It takes forever to type out a long reply on a phone and I know I can come across as a little condesending. Thank you for not taking me the wrong way.

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am

Ok, for those who dont know... THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN IS:

HE POOPS, HE STEPS IT, HE IS FREE ON THE LIVINGROOM FOR 4 hours.

omg... i am still cleaning everything. Cannot believe this....

Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient... Must be patient... must be patient...

:pray

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am

Awe!!! Sad day. Hopefully he won't make a habbit of stepping in it like some dogs do.

ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby ThreeTails » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:45 am

Maybe the lesson from this is that he shouldn't be free in a room, unsupervised, for four hours. My girl can get into trouble in 2 minutes, I think you should be thankful that all you're doing is cleaning up poo!

Return to “Training and Behavior”