My puppy is seriously misbehaving, I need some guidance

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
creiter
Newborn Bully

Re: My puppy is seriously misbehaving, I need some guidance

Postby creiter » Fri May 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Here is an excellent resource if you haven't already read this one. Three things I hope you draw from it to help guide your reading:

1) Start clicker training - makes training so much more fun because you communicate way better with your dog the 'why' he is getting a treat
2) Start the Nothing In Life Is Free training - it mentions this briefly, google it more - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING RESULT and it is so simple and fun to implement, for you and your dog.
3) Have you considered teething? Seems to explain the chewing rocks thing... that and he is being a normal puppy exploring the world with one of his tools! I'd redirect this behavior to bones ect... more tasty anyway.

Keep us updated! Thank you for taking the time to research this now. Every dog has a unique personality, so not everything will work with every dog. The key is to always use positive, fun methods and YOU must not ever lose your patience or else it can make matters worse. If you find yourself getting frustrated, allow the pup some calm in a safe area (crate) and you put yourself in a time out as well :). You are a team, he is learning how to behave in this crazy world and looks to you for guidance - there are no malicious intents, so help guide your pup with love and patience. You will see great results as you foster a team atmosphere together.

Also... I would try to stick with one type of response to biting instead of changing it around so much. Sounds like it is all just a game to your pup, as opposed to you patiently repeating one method and giving him time to learn that method. For example, if you ignore him for a day then try saying 'no' the next day, he learns that if he is persistent eventually he will get a reaction out of you. He will keep trying it to keep exploring your reactions. If you always ignore afterwards, he will learn that is NOT EVER going to work to get attention. It will take time to establish this, because it has worked in the past - be patient!

Good luck!!!!

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Fri May 17, 2013 3:23 pm

OOPS forgot the link, and change all my he's to she's... I have a male dog so just assume all dogs are boys.. hah!!

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3249

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 am

Please don't watch Cesar to learn how to treat any living being.

Clicker training is great, Victoria Stillwell is also on tv and has some good things to say, and patience and understanding will get you everywhere.

Every being (humans included) makes choices based on rewards. All behaviors we choose are chosen because of perceived payoff. Look at what payoff the animal is getting from the behavior you don't like and find a way to make the behaviors you do like pay more than that.

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Postby Diamondlil » Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm

You've got a puppy taken from the litter too young, so learning bite inhibition from littermates and the mother has been missed out. My much missed pit mix was the same, for her a loud yelp and turn away soon taught her that biting too hard meant a stop to playtime. That doesn't work for all dogs though, for some pups it makes the game more exciting, so a dead stop to the interaction including breaking off eye-contact works better. Only initiate play again when the puppy is calm.
At this age your pup is trying out the world the only way they can, with the mouth, and could also be teething. Thawed, frozen chicken wings, raw, are a really good teething item for a pup. You mention crate training. Possibly your pup could go in the crate with something like a chicken wing to chew on so it is introduced as a FANTASTIC place to be.In there, your pup can relax and enjoy chewing away on a nice juicy item. Don't underestimate the need to chew. If you don't direct it, then as you've found out, hands, feet and rocks will be explored. Maybe giving the item you want your pup to chew with a simple command like 'Chew chew' will start to chain up that behaviour with what you want it to be directed at.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue May 28, 2013 4:27 pm

When we were teaching bite inhibition, NILF and bellowing OW! seemed to work. After the OW! I would calmly walk away and ignore her for a while. The first time, I wound up ignoring her all day - I would feed her and take her out but I didn't talk to her needlessly and didn't try to pet her. Another thing we learned - some dogs react badly to being held down and fight harder.

Cesar doesn't get everything right, but the two things we used from watching his show - a tired dog is a good dog (ie lots of age appropriate exercise) and dogs pick up on your emotions.

They also pick up on body language and tone of voice.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue May 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Amie wrote:Please don't watch Cesar to learn how to treat any living being.

Best quote evah!

Return to “Training and Behavior”