I Need Training Advice

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

I Need Training Advice

Postby maitrees1990 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm

I have a 4 month old pup that knows how to sit and down but she wont sit from down; and as soon as she sees me with a treat she runs to me and sits before I can even say the command. I try and step away but she just follows and does the same thing. I need help, was getting really frustrated last night trying to deal with this problem but couldn't figure it out
Thanks all!

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: I Need Training Advice

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Sit from down is a whole new concept to dogs. They tend to give you that look like "Huh?" lol. When you get her into the down position, use the treat to lure her back up into the sit. Once she gets used to sitting, down, sitting, down, sitting it will become easier for her and she'll have that "Aha!" moment :)

maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

Postby maitrees1990 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm

How about my issue for her sitting before I even give the command

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm

My opinion is if she is doing the behavior you want then it is fine. I personally wouldn't be bothered by it. If you aren't wanting her to sit then ignore the behavior/don't reward/reinforce it. I found with my dogs and some fosters that it worked well to add a hand signal to the command you are asking then gradually move away from voice commands to only hand signals. This way they wait and look to you for the behavior you want. Clickers also work great for this because you are shaping and marking the behaviors you want and they look to you. But like I said, if she is anticipating to sit and you DO want her to sit, then she is a quick learner and just trying to please you before you ask it of her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 pm

What Unconventional said about teaching the sit to down and down to sit is good advice. She's young so be patient :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

Postby maitrees1990 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 am

Thank you for the GREAT advice!! I appreciate it :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”