Your preferred treats

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Your preferred treats

Postby Besonbully » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi there I'm in the process of retraining my pup. I love the positive reinforcement concept and we've already had some success. The only problem I'm having is finding a treat that really grabs my pups attention. The ones that have semi done the trick are pure bites freeze dried beef liver. He likes them. Doesn't love them.

Hot dogs have so far been the most effective however I don't like the calories or the product itself. What is the best alternative for a hot dog?

randomroads
Matured Bully

Re: Your preferred treats

Postby randomroads » Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 am

Canned food that's dried out a bit so that it's not as messy, Natural Balance food rolls are great and when you microwave them they stink like crazy.

You can also try turkey bologna microwaved.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 am

Have you tried Zukes? They're a really great company (USA based, super friendly customer service) I bet if you contacted them they'd send you a sample package of something.
http://www.dogsupplies.com/products/Zuk ... reats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We also use soft Wellness treats, they're kind of flat and square. The dogs like those and they're easy to tear into smaller pieces.
http://www.wag.com/dog/p/wellness-wellbites-8-oz-116907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and the natural balance rolls are good too like already stated.

Breezy833
Newborn Bully

Postby Breezy833 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 am

For us, we found that Appa isnt really food motivated. He LOVES however, to play tug. So when we work on training that is his reward.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 am

Natural Balance salmon grain-free cat treats! They are tiny, pretty soft, and perfect for training, cheaper than dog treats, and INCREDIBLY stinky for a commercial treat that's not full of junky stuff.

Freeze-dried liver pieces are available from a bunch of different companies. Most dogs like that a lot. Reasonable pricing.

Dogswell soft jerky strips come in salmon, tilapia, etc and can be cut up into small pieces for rewards. Again, they are soft and STINK. Yummy for dogs.

ZiwiPeak makes really healthy treats- expensive, super soft strips that are stinky. Again, most dogs love them and they come in a few different varieties. Kinda big pieces for rewards, but easily torn in half.

Solid Gold makes these soft treats that are fantastic, stanky, widely available (I think PetCo or PetSmart sell SG products) but they are kinda big so you can chop them or break them.

The Green Tripe Lady sells a dog treat roll-- that thing is crazy crack for dogs. But you must keep it in the fridge, and then keep the bait bag in the fridge, and use it fairly soon. Same goes for cheese cubes. I also save all the bits and pieces when I roast pork, chicken, pot roast & put them in a freezer bag. After a couple weeks you have a bag of assorted treats that stay cool in the bait bag for a while!

Zukes are nice and neat but not super stinky IMO, same with the YumZies brand grain free treats. I do still buy them and often mix it into the treat mixture. Having a variety of things in the bait bag with a variety of values (from kibble on up to your dog's personal "crack" treat) is helpful for training, too. Your dog never knows which reward will come out of the bag- something OK or something FANTASTIC!

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Heartbullies do you have a link for the tripe lady? I tried googling it but didn't have any luck.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 pm

http://www.greentripe.com/

It doesn't look like there is a treat log listed there, though. :(

But! You can find freeze-dried tripe. I think Evanger's makes one (though the pieces are BIG for training) and there's another brand I bought in a gray bag that was in nice smaller pieces. Let me see if I can find the brand. I got it in LA but haven't seen it here in NorCal.

There is also tripe in cans, I can think of 2 brands sold here at natural pet shops specifically for dogs. It is gross but not as bad as the fresh stuff and it's ground up.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004UBLF04

That's it, Vital Essentials. It is not as stinky as some other tripe treats but IS pretty stanky.

The other thing I'd say is to check the Clean Run website. They are great at showing you the size of the treat (tiny training size is what I would recommend) and they have a variety of stinky natural stuff.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Be careful with chicken jerky though, a ton of it has been recalled, including the Dogswell brand.

Return to “Training and Behavior”