Kennel Training Issues

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
c_simmons88
Newborn Bully

Kennel Training Issues

Postby c_simmons88 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 am

I have been trying the kennel training method for about 5 weeks now. Since the day I got my pup he was 6 weeeks. The very first time i tried it he started yelping and I felt so bad/inhumane but I did tons of research and everything told me to "let him yelp,let him cry and that he would learn"....he's 11 weeks today and the yelping hasn't decreased. Every time I put him in his kennel and leave for work it never fails he barks and yelps and I feel so guilty bc I want him to feel comfortable in "his room." Any suggestions or input/advice? Thanks! - Cody & Jax

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Kennel Training Issues

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 pm

You need to slow down, back up and make it a really fun place to be! Also, set him up for success. Don't put him in when he's wound up, make sure he has been out to potty and keep it positive!

c_simmons88
Newborn Bully

Postby c_simmons88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:06 pm

What do you mean slow down? And make it a fun place.? I do play with him before hand as well as leave chew toys and a ball with him.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:57 pm

You're expecting too much of him at 11 weeks, especially if he hasn't been taught to like the crate. It's really outdated advice to say just put him in and let him cry it out. Puppies crave companionship and they need to be taught how to entertain and soothe themselves.

Simply leaving him toys and chews isn't enough if he's stressed about being left alone. He first needs to think that the crate is almost as good as hanging out with you!

This article explains the process:
http://www.peaceablepaws.com/articles.php?subaction=showfull&id=1282180979&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&type=Pat

Also, search Kikopup on YouTube.

c_simmons88
Newborn Bully

Postby c_simmons88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Ok thank you for the input! I have watched a few kikopup vids on other training and they were very helpful. I will look for the Kennel help. I do understand that training is a process and they can not understand/apply wverything they are taught immediately. Again,thank you!!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm

You're welcome :) the article is very good too and explains the process step by step.

Return to “Training and Behavior”