Dogs killed another animal and I'm getting tired of it all.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Curly_07

Re: Dogs killed another animal and I'm getting tired of it a

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Great link Jamie!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Fence fighting is common DOG behavior, if dogs are allowed the opportunity to run the fence with neighbor dogs.... it has very little to do with the specific breed. I work in a busy vet clinic, and have seen numerous dogs brought in for injuries sustained through fences, the offending dogs are varying breeds, no one particular standout. The injuries DO tend to be significant to whatever part is grabbed through the fence, in this dog's case, his whole leg fitting through the hole is what doomed him. Would you feel the same if this was the squirrel that constantly ran along the top of the fence taunting the dogs, and finally slipped up and fell into your yard? It's pretty similar in a dog's mind.

Easiest and safest preventative fix would be to repair your existing fence, and add a second, privacy (no body parts getting through, no visibility for them to get each other riled up) fence inside of it to ensure that there's no way the current archenemies can reach each other. If that's not feasible, or if you want to teach them to not run the fence, keep them on a leash when they go out so you can interrupt their behavior and redirect them to a more appropriate activity. It took years for your dogs to get to this intensity level of barrier aggression, and it's not something which will likely be resolved overnight, if ever- so prevention will be key.

Your dogs fence fighting has little bearing on their behavior on leash in public, and I wouldn't expect any significant changes in that venue due to this incident. It sounds like your dogs aren't of the type which benefit from "dog friends" outside of their household, so your expectations should not include them interacting freely with outsider dogs- they have shown you repeatedly that that is not appropriate for them. Again, not necessarily a pit bull thing, there are a lot of dogs which do not care for strange dogs, though there is a greater propensity for it in this and other terrier breeds.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:26 am

Not much to add to what the others above have said. I will add that, dog-dog aggression, or dog-animal aggression, is not pit bull specific (or even dog specific). I know a purebred Labrador Retriever that has killed multiple small-breed dogs. All down to owner error and irresponsibility.

The dog in my avatar? He killed a rabbit, a robin, and a mourning dove on three different occasions. Happened very quickly, in the backyard. I didn't get angry at him for it, or start hating him, because he's a dog and that's what dogs will do.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 am

My boxer mutt has killed a groundhog, a skunk and, recently, has tried to grab a stray cat that was in our yard. I don't look at him any differently-- he's a dog. It's what they do. I DID however reevaluate my failure to manage his environment.

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 pm

gooeydog wrote:Fence fighting is common DOG behavior, if dogs are allowed the opportunity to run the fence with neighbor dogs.... it has very little to do with the specific breed. I work in a busy vet clinic, and have seen numerous dogs brought in for injuries sustained through fences, the offending dogs are varying breeds, no one particular standout. The injuries DO tend to be significant to whatever part is grabbed through the fence, in this dog's case, his whole leg fitting through the hole is what doomed him. Would you feel the same if this was the squirrel that constantly ran along the top of the fence taunting the dogs, and finally slipped up and fell into your yard? It's pretty similar in a dog's mind.

Easiest and safest preventative fix would be to repair your existing fence, and add a second, privacy (no body parts getting through, no visibility for them to get each other riled up) fence inside of it to ensure that there's no way the current archenemies can reach each other. If that's not feasible, or if you want to teach them to not run the fence, keep them on a leash when they go out so you can interrupt their behavior and redirect them to a more appropriate activity. It took years for your dogs to get to this intensity level of barrier aggression, and it's not something which will likely be resolved overnight, if ever- so prevention will be key.

Your dogs fence fighting has little bearing on their behavior on leash in public, and I wouldn't expect any significant changes in that venue due to this incident. It sounds like your dogs aren't of the type which benefit from "dog friends" outside of their household, so your expectations should not include them interacting freely with outsider dogs- they have shown you repeatedly that that is not appropriate for them. Again, not necessarily a pit bull thing, there are a lot of dogs which do not care for strange dogs, though there is a greater propensity for it in this and other terrier breeds.

:goodpost:

I agree this is not a simple fix, these dogs were over the agression threshold for many many months. It takes alot of dedication to manage this problem. And to be honest, the dog to dog agression wont be fixed, you can only manage it. the magic alot of trainers do only make a dog lose its way to show its not comfortable making it a ticking timebomb. I own a dog agressive dog and she is now after 4 years so good that she know ignores dogs on walks. She is still muzzled and never left unsupervised, I train with her 3 times a day,every day, every walk.

Get yourself another fence, and put chickenwire above it to avoid jumping, and dont put these dogs together alone EVER. put them on leashes when you let them in the backyard this way you have maximale control and better to redirect the bad behavior. And do take them for walks with a good strong collar and leash, and muzzled always muzzled no excuses or exceptions. Seperating these dogs from society isnt going to make anything better, if you cannot do this, dont rehome them put them to sleep. No people will take them, and if people do take them they end up killing another cat or dog and put our breed in danger.

Although I would think its weak giving up so quickly, dogs will be dogs every mistake my dogs made was MY fault I put my dog up for failure which almost caused 2 dogs their lives. My dogs never killed anything, but they tried including my german shepard almost killed the neighbors cat, I would not hate my dog if she did, because dogs are predators they kill and dont feel remorse.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm

http://empoweredanimals.com/

BAT is extremely successful if it's done properly. It takes a lot of management and time, but the end results are amazing. Dog aggression can come from many sources, but mostly it's lack of ability to handle stress triggers. Your dog sees another dog and she feels stressed, she lacks the skills to calmly sort through it and make a good judgement - walking away or ignoring the other dog. BAT is done with a simple flat collar and leash, treats, and good timing. I'm happy to share the PDF of the program with you.

Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:17 am

gooeydog wrote:Fence fighting is common DOG behavior, if dogs are allowed the opportunity to run the fence with neighbor dogs.... it has very little to do with the specific breed. I work in a busy vet clinic, and have seen numerous dogs brought in for injuries sustained through fences, the offending dogs are varying breeds, no one particular standout. The injuries DO tend to be significant to whatever part is grabbed through the fence, in this dog's case, his whole leg fitting through the hole is what doomed him. Would you feel the same if this was the squirrel that constantly ran along the top of the fence taunting the dogs, and finally slipped up and fell into your yard? It's pretty similar in a dog's mind.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

First I want to say that I am very sorry that you are going through this. Looks like there has been a lot of feedback on your situation.

I would definitely put up a second fence. Those little dogs next door taunt them everyday. If your dogs have a problem with outside dogs, having to hear, see, smell them through a fence daily must feel intolerable for them.

I am very surprised to hear the number of people who said that you should put these dogs to sleep. Your dogs don't have to like other dogs but they need to get to a point where they listen to you and at least ignore other dogs. I know it is easier said than done. This is something that we are currently working on. It isn't easy but I refuse to give up on her. We take so many precautions because she can be so impulsive.

The other option would be to re-home them somewhere that does not have any other animals. A place that has plenty of land that is secured. I believe there is someone out there who will love them.

Return to “Training and Behavior”