New dog and obsessive toy behavior

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
heather
Addicted to PBF

Re: New dog and obsessive toy behavior

Postby heather » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 pm

He had two doses left when we got him. The shelter president said it coincided with his adoption by chance. I called his vet and she suggested they might have taken it away because many issues disappear when the dog is in a home. The shelter stated that was their thought too.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:19 pm

I am certain everyone was doing their best, genuinely care etc.
I am concerned they would think it was ok to abruptly withdraw a med like that though.
I have some issues with no kill shelters as well when dogs end up being housed not happy for years and years....

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:04 pm

I don't know if I said or not. They were tapering him off b/c they said he had recently made progress, yet they didn't say what exactly that was since he was originally put on it of trying to escape. He was getting his last doses the week we got him. I don't know how long it takes to wean off, but we had applied to adopt him a few weeks before we picked him up. I think they started it after they knew we were going to adopt.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:38 pm

tapering should be over many months from that high a dose....

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Hmm..I also what effect it has on a dog when you started at a year old.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 am

I still feel some concern over how this shelter is handling him. Ideally, when a dog is given prozac, there is also a behavior modification program put into effect, i.e. training/desensitizing for fear issues or something like that. Putting a young dog on drugs and not seeming to be able to provide documentation (behavioral assessment, and made by whom?) on what the issues are can appear to be a bad attempt at "managing" kennel stress in an energetic young dog.

Prozac is not an endpoint/solution in itself without behavior modification. I don't know of dogs getting screwed up from taking Prozac but I know of quite a few people who are not back to normal years after stopping the stuff - so I do happen to a bit prejudiced against it when it sounds like the drug itself was presented as a solution to problems rather than a tool.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 pm

The dog was super driven and they exercised him with a jolly ball and flirt pole. Once again, the shelter was giving him an outlet, but not teaching him how to be calm around the stimulus so that an adoptive family doesn't have a toy crazed dog. They felt good about the fact we had pitbulls and love them, but it still was dangerous to have any dog that cannot let go of objects. They actually showed us how much he loved the jolly ball the day we picked him up in the yard. On one hand, if he never gets adopted I would be glad he gets something he loves and wears him out...I know they have limited time. On the other hand, it hurts his potential to bw adopted bc he can't go to a home with animals or kids until he learns to be more calm around stimulation. Sad.

Return to “Training and Behavior”