Does That Tickle or What??

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Does That Tickle or What??

Postby Sydnops » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 am

Alright, so I've always wondered with ANY dog why do they kick or shake thier leg when you hit that certain spot while petting them? My new little girl does it with almost any spot you scratch and it just cracks me up xD I also wonder if that's an "I can't reach that spot and I'm itchy there so dooonnn'tttt stoooooppppp!!!" Spot. What do you guys think? Tickle spot or keep scratching spot...or both?? Either way I'm going to keep doing it just cause it's pretty dern cute.

Amie

Re: Does That Tickle or What??

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:49 pm

I think it probably tickles to a degree, because it's not the same spot on every dog (just like not every person is ticklish in the same place)

Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Sydnops » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:22 pm

That's true. My friend has a bull terrier that shivers when you scratch his back a certain way. Priscilla's leg just goes to town with ANY type of petting but with my other dog, Pause, she only does it with her belly.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 am

It always seems to me like it's a "Yes! YES! YES! That's it! that's the spot!! Whatever you do DO NOT STOP"!!!!!

I hope I'm right and it isn't just ticklish...otherwise I've been torturing my dogs my entire life. :oops:

Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Sydnops » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:38 pm

Jazzy wrote:It always seems to me like it's a "Yes! YES! YES! That's it! that's the spot!! Whatever you do DO NOT STOP"!!!!!

I hope I'm right and it isn't just ticklish...otherwise I've been torturing my dogs my entire life. :oops:

Me too the poor babies!! I feel like an awful momma now haha.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:01 am

Sydnops wrote:
Jazzy wrote:It always seems to me like it's a "Yes! YES! YES! That's it! that's the spot!! Whatever you do DO NOT STOP"!!!!!

Me too the poor babies!! I feel like an awful momma now haha.

I think it must feel good, because whenever I annoy Veronica she just gets up and walks away. Even if I sit too close to her (I want to cuddle) and apparently I'm invading her space...she'll get right up off the couch and go and lie in her dog bed.

It's insulting really, you feel like you've been snubbed.

Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Sydnops » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Oh my goodness! Haha she sounds like a goofball. My border collie corgie does that same thing. She will throw me the cold shoulder if I don't pay any attention to her too. She's a little princess I tell ya. The puppies always want attention of course.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:51 am

My husky mutt mix apparently doesn't have one of those spots. I have had her her whole life, going on 9 years, and have yet to find one, anywhere! It's so strange.

With Lego, these spots and being tickled are two entirely different things. I think the spots either feel good or its like an involuntary reaction. Like when a doctor tests our reflexes with that hammer. It seems they have no control over it. But liking it...who really knows? They don't get up and leave in the middle of it, but maybe they can't? One of life's mysteries.

But Lego is also extremely ticklish. And he does not like being tickled. He will actually kick us, hard! Not the same type of kick and scratch, but a kick with enough force to say "stop it!" It's really quite funny when he does it. I've never seen a dog purposely kick out of annoyance before. He kicks the cat too, when it's after his tail while he's trying to sleep. Hilarious!

But he does like his back legs to be scratched or rubbed. The is a "don't stop" spot for sure. As soon as you touch his leg, it goes straight out into a huge stretch. He looks ridiculous...like a cat when they are washing, or like a turkey leg sticking up.

Return to “Training and Behavior”