Toy destruction

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.

How (toy) destructive is your dog?

No toy is safe
Select, hard-core, heavy-duty toys under direct supervision are safe
Most toys are fine, but a few soft ones get eviscerated
There are favorites to destroy and favorites to keep, but most are fine.
We've had toys for years, no destruction at all.
Total votes: 19

Toy destruction

Postby Amie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm watching the puppy pull the fuzz off a tennis ball and wondering how toy-destructive she's going to be as she grows up. Neither Oscar nor Liberty destroy toys - both have had stuffed toys for years, can have toys in their crates with them, and we even use puppy kongs and other soft toys because I like the colors. Both dogs were adopted as relative adults (Oscar was about 9months, but Liberty was 3years or so), but I'm wondering still if I did something that made them so easy on toys. I can't think of what it would be.

What are your dogs like with toys?

Addicted to PBF

Re: Toy destruction

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Keela is real big on destroying toys. Her favorites are plush with squeakers. Eventually, they all go to pieces, unless it's something she doesn't like, then it never gets played with.

Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Brina never really liked toys, except the ones filled with food. She never destroyed anything, when she gets the food out of a toy she loses interest in it.

Jaka is a weird one when it comes to toys, he rarely destroys anything, not on purpose at least. Tennis balls get chewed up during fetch, but other than that he's quite gentle with his toys. But then every once in a while he will destroy one just for the fun of it lol The latex pig from the second part of this video lasted quite a while and it's a soft toy:

Postby BabyReba » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 pm

my old lady dog, reba, kept toys for months, then would sometimes randomly decide their time was up and she would gut them. doc tried to swallow stuffed toys whole. ever since tucker was a baby, he enthusiastically destroyed toys. button selects ones that he likes, and he will keep them for ages. we call them his babies. but eventually, when he tires of them, he will start picking them apart.

Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:13 am

I couldn't vote...there wasn't an option for "eventually every toy gets destroyed it's just a matter of time".

She's not hard on toys per se...but I would only trust her under direct supervision because eventually a piece gets chewed off, or the toy gets torn apart...depending upon the toy it could take weeks or months, but eventually it gets destroyed to the point that we have to take it away.

Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Boogie will demolish any toy he comes into contact with. :run:

Including the baby's toys.

I really have to keep an eye on him. He even chewed a hole in his Kong tumbler (and demolished a Kong stuffable rubbery ball...the one with the ridges for the treats lol). I dont even know how that happened LOL
The only one that has been safe so far (and durable) is the chicken nylabone I got him, and the rubbery stuffable original Kong

Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Stuffies all the dogs love to destroy. Jersey is the most gentle but she'll put holes in soft toys within a few days, the other dogs will commence ripping up immediately. Soft toys under supervision only and generally cheap/free ones to let them have some fun. Other than that only hard chews like antlers, nylabones, goughnuts. Kongs they don't have any interest in chewing up so I can leave those alone with them.

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Cheap, easy to wreck toys are goners. We only buy Tuffy's which last a relatively long time. Wubbas last forever now that he doesn't have anyone to play tug with. Nylabones last a lifetime.

Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am

Amie wrote:I'm watching the puppy pull the fuzz off a tennis ball and wondering how toy-destructive she's going to be as she grows up.

My guy LOVES tennis balls. He starts by pulling all the fuzz off then tears the ball into quarter-sized pieces until there's just a tidy pile of rubber bits. I scavenge balls from the high school tennis courts so I always have a supply on hand. He also likes to do the same thing to empty paper towel rolls. Luckily he never swallows anything. Other than that, the only "toy" that survives in my house are the hard Nylabones.

So, yeah......... :)

Postby gooeydog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Haley liked carrying stuffies, but would sometimes destroy/destuff them... she had a stuffed turkey once that she ripped one leg off, chewed the eyes off, chewed the ends off each of the tail feathers, and then carted all over with her- I think she just wanted it to be more defective like her. Eventually, she destuffed it, but she had it for a long time before then. Other toys, she liked to destroy, though as she matured, she wouldn't bother if they were hard to destroy- she'd try for a bit, then ignore them. She would pick up anything when people came because she had to have a toy in her mouth to greet people, and she would be so gentle with those- little cat toy mice, the basket all the toys were in, the molding from the wall, shoes- never damaged. I miss that silly dog :<

Bus is highly destructive with toys, but not his food dispensing things- those he just gets the food out and then leaves them, like he recognizes them as tools rather than toys. He doesn't wreck toys if you are throwing them, but if you ignore him, he'll sacrifice the toy in quick order! He degloves and splits tennis balls in minutes (then throws the pieces at you to throw), and destuffs other toys just as fast. Rubber toys take a while longer because his teeth are pretty flat, but if left with them, they too eventually meet their demise.

Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:16 pm

There are only 2 things that last in our house...original Kongs, they love them when they're full, and the squeeky ball from inside a Wubba. Thor cradles those like they're his babies roflmao we have to take them away from the girls though, they destroy everything!

Return to “Training and Behavior”