Housebreaking problems

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Backspacer
Newborn Bully

Housebreaking problems

Postby Backspacer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:28 am

Hi guys!
I'm having a bit of an issue with Bruce, he always has drank a lot of water, which I thought was not normal, but the vet said since we had an awfully hot summer and the puppy is very active and runs and plays a lot it is no worrisome for him to be drinking too much.
The problem is that, during the day, he holds and waits or asks to go outside to go potty, even if he drinks and plays, he holds it. But during the night he goes wherever he wants to, and not because he's been holding it for long, maybe an hour after he went outside, he'll pee anywhere and after that maybe every 15 or 20 minutes until he falls asleep. No matter how many times I take him outside.
We don't live in the nicest neighborhood so taking him out really late is what I reffer to as "extreme sports" I do it anyway, I reward him every time he goes outside, but the behaivor persists. He's 6 months old now and I'm running out of ideas, any advice you could give me?
Thank you!

Curly_07

Re: Housebreaking problems

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:59 am

His water needs to be rationed. He should not have free access to water. For house breaking, you need to control how much water goes in and when, to be able to control what comes out and when. Same with food and pooping. If my dog drinks a cup of water, I know within the hour she will need to go pee. She is an adult dog. A puppy (anything under 1 yr) will need to go potty much sooner than an hour after consumption of water/food. Access to water and food should not be allowed during sleeping hours, or at least not while house training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backspacer
Newborn Bully

Postby Backspacer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:18 pm

I tried that, but he keeps asking me to give him water, and I always cave in, maybe I shoud be more stern and not give to puppy eyes.
What drives me crazy is that during the day, with the same amount of water he doesn't pee inside, but at night he randomly squats and goes as if it's the most normal thing.
thank you!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:57 pm

also clean well with enzyme cleaner where he has peed.

phanesoul
Newborn Bully

Postby phanesoul » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:42 am

have you tried the whole catching him in the act and carrying him outside? does he have problems with where he is sleeping? is he sleeping in a crate? I hate putting The General in the crate at night she looks so sad but then I know she wont pee/poo/bite an electrical cord in there and will be safe, then as soon as I let her out its straight outside, no visiting the roommates no horseplay, nothing. and unless I ignore her whines in the early morning (usually she wakes up cuz my roommate is leaving for work) she doesn't potty anywhere except for outside

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:07 am

My puppy is the same, when she's active and playing she has to go out every 15 minutes, even though she can sleep through the night and go all day in her crate. We even have to let her out before, in the middle of, and after our own meals. Its every 15 minutes for several hours in the evening, no exceptions. This is a normal puppy. Let him have as much water as he wants in the evenings when he is playing, and then take it away 1 hour before bedtime. If he's been guzzling it all afternoon, he will be fine for 1 hour.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:27 pm

My friend had a pup that learned, that every time he peed in the house, he got to go outside. Maybe he's just not ready to go to bed, and going in the house is his way of ensuring what he wants. Not saying this is the case...just a thought. If it's not his physical health, maybe it's psychological.

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:21 am

We have our first ever puppy. And we give last meal at 8pm, and water at 8:30pm. Period. No more food or water till AM. And usually had good results with this.

You have to know what they are eating and drinking....and when. Otherwise housebreaking is going to be tough!

Backspacer
Newborn Bully

Postby Backspacer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:50 am

Thank you guys!
We totally mastered it now, lol. He still has some accidents, but that's it.
Thank you all for your input it has been very helpful

Return to “Training and Behavior”