whining - excited/dominant dog

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
eddiewouldgo
Newborn Bully

whining - excited/dominant dog

Postby eddiewouldgo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am

hey all, my boy is a very pushy one. i have actually been training to get my professional certificate but i am seriously doubting myself at the moment. this guy will do everything i say and i have generally no problem in any arena but this one.

i won't do anything with him if he doesn't show me a calm state of mind before doing said activity. he loves to please and have a job so it's difficult in the early mornings (and in general when he's amped) when he hasn't worked out yet. we normally ride 5 miles together each morning. i will wake up and stretch for 20 minutes. he is whining the whole time in kennel. i go down stairs and eat breakfast... he whines the whole time. i get the leash and sit by him until he's calms down enough for me to find it acceptable to remove him. i was sitting at the front door for an hour the whole time while he whined staring at me trying to get my attention from 2 ft away. that's a combined time of 2 hours and as i type this he is back in his kennel by my desk with the same breathing/whine technique he's mastered.

i don't want to give into this behavior as it reinforces his vocalization for being a brat. is there possibly any better advice than just ignoring and waiting? i mean, i have work to do!!!! it turns me into a very angry person (i'd never show my dog) but i can't lie to you all. it's the most irritating sound in the world to me... and the tragedy is he still hasn't worked out to release some of that energy as the whines get more dramatic. it's like a complete catch 22 for me and the dog. how do we both win here?

please, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Novy
Newborn Bully

Re: whining - excited/dominant dog

Postby Novy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Is it possible that in some way the routine itself is part of the issue? It might be worth a try switching it up to some degree to see if it changes this behaviour.

Things like grabbing the leash while he is still crated seems like it is getting him excited and then confused as to why you've indicated you are going for a walk while you stand there with him still confined to the crate.

eddiewouldgo
Newborn Bully

Postby eddiewouldgo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 pm

thank you for your input!

he's whining an hour before i even get the leash (stretching,showering,eating). and that was just how i did it today. he was out side the kennel because he was quiet for 3 minutes so i let him out. then we both waited by the door for an hour because he wouldn't stop fussing and being pushy. so i stood on the stairwell (not paying attention to him) waiting for him to stop whining. he didn't, for an hour. so i moved him back in the kennel and it intensified. once he past out for 20 minutes and woke up, i took him out.

i have changed our routine much to his dismay. i have a very sporadic schedule. i've worked on so many different ways of breaking routine. i pick up keys and move them, grab leashes and move them. start car, and stop it. sometimes i shower and go to the gym, sometimes not. i can assure you, i've done absolutely everything to my knowledge.

it's just him and i (in the household) and he's constantly zoned in on me following me everywhere mostly all the time. the morning is best because it get's him to complain the least and i can keep him a bit more balanced. if i break our routine by waiting until 10am he just whines the whole time (only if i'm home) and he won't eat breakfast without a run. if he's outside the crate he constantly puts himself in my way so i can notice his presence. then that's another problem.

i'm almost positive this is just something i'm going to have to live with until he finally settles down when he gets older or i start incorporating more dogs in my life to set better examples. most likely the former. i will stay strong and continue working because my "will" is stronger than his.

thank you for your reply.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:18 pm

ok so my first adopted dog was a whiner and I know how annoying it can be but the only time I ignored it was if he had gotten all his needs met first and then he was whining - for e.g. he had very mild seperation anxiety post adoption and needed to be everywhere with me which wasn't always possible. if I got up he got up etc. so if I was visiting a friend in another room door closed I ignored his whining/scratching until he stopped -at first for like 45 min and then over time it got less and less and then not at all - I could be reading it wrong but you make it sound like if he is not completely quiet and mellow you wait him out which I think is unrealistic.

I have to be honest my first thought is maybe he would stop whining if he got his needs meet in a timely fashion, and then you could work on ceasing the true pushiness and/or inappropriate whining etc.

Also how old is he?

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm

please forgive if former response sounds harsh - don't have a lot of time as at work - I guess I am just thinking it is alot to ask him to stay in kennel while he can hear you get ready etc., when he has been in it all nite - what about a let out to pee and quick tug or something and then he has to maybe wait a bit kind of idea... these dogs have SO much energy!

I did not crate/kennel my dog so maybe that helped but I do get the irritation of the whining just don't get why you think/feel like waiting it out when he is so amped up will help...

also my sense is he is the kind of dog that (when possible) might do better with a super consistent schedule.

eddiewouldgo
Newborn Bully

Postby eddiewouldgo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 pm

not harsh at all. i love it when people speak how they believe. i honestly think you all are right. my expectations are just unrealistic with my boy. he's 3 years old, 100lbs. i should be so grateful already, he's a wonderful dog. i shouldn't fight his instinct, i should navigate it. he needs to be outdoors doing nose work or hunting. he's just not the type of service dog i thought i could train him to be (although he's so darn close!). more camp outs i suppose!

thank you all for your input.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:41 am

I am curious...what makes you say he's "dominant"?

eddiewouldgo
Newborn Bully

Postby eddiewouldgo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 am

ok, i know how sensitive a particular community of dog lovers can be that have all but banned the word, "dominant." seeing as how i don't know where you're coming from, i'll choose my words wisely.

he is a "status seeker." he constantly challenges dogs and humans alike to see where he'll fit into what he believes to be your hierarchy. there's definitely some insecurity there that i haven't figured out on how to lead him out of yet. he's not submissive/gentle to anyone but myself, and that's only about %95 of the time (my guests are also nightmares of training partners). i have trouble with him at the door (and that's a dominant dog problem). he's a a jumper and a humper. we work on it daily.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:11 pm

love how open you are to other's thoughts, thanks. sounds like a high energy dog more than anything and his behaviour is impacted by this- besides more out and about time/exercise- you can also try in order to get some you time- kong with frozen peanut butter or favorite nummy, bones, work to eat toys (like the ball that drops treats out now and then- course that is a whole other noise!) etc., some folks do well with treadmills if that is in the budget- re: the door behaviour - also check out this link http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3308 or this http://www.doggenie.com/how-a-pod-of-fu ... ers-minder

love to see a pic!
p.s. doe he bark? - Nick rarely did which was so nice- so maybe the whining wasn't so bad - well no it was!! but I did learn it was his way of communicating and learned when he got what he needed it was rare.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi! What certificate are you going for?

It's not that people have banned the use of "dominant" it's that the word itself is just so far over used, and very seldom in correct context.

What door problem is he having? Is he rushing outside? That's not dominance, that's just simple "it's fun to be outside, so let's go!"

Dominance means control of the resources in a relationship. You've got thumbs - you win. It's generally a very fluid position, it's not a state of being. This is a really nice article on the topic: http://www.kathysdao.com/articles/Forge ... _Pack.html

I do similar things for humping and jumping - behaviors caused by excitement and poor self-control. When a dog jumps to meet people, it's because they're excited to meet new (or old) friends. A REALLY quick fix to this is to drop treats at your feet so that the dog learns to check people's feet before jumping up. Then you can ask for a sit, and reward that. It takes very few repetitions for the dog to run up, check your feet, then sit to get greetings and snuggles. Humping is similar excitement, and is also best if you can lower the energy in the area before he gets started humping. So take notice of that glimmer in his eyes or whatever else happens right before he gets going, and ask him to sit or even just drop treats. You want to give him a behavior that you find appropriate that he can do when he starts to feel stressed enough that the spirit moves him, so to speak.

eddiewouldgo
Newborn Bully

Postby eddiewouldgo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:45 pm

i'm going for my CDBC, amie. i believe i asked you for resources about a year ago... thank you once again!

well i still feel i'm using the word somewhat appropriately. i've seen many dog fights over door access. it can be considered a resource to a dog that doesn't live outside, right? i also truly believe height is much more than symbolism to dogs... i believe it plays a huge role in how they view status. i have no scientific proof, much like the rest of the community. just experience. try raising a puppy over a 4 year old mother dog. it probably won't end well. i know wolves (in families) greet snout to snout, but i've never seen too many dogs that fancy it that way.

he's banned from all furniture and high raised beds. i've noticed he gets extremely pushy with me the moment those luxuries were introduced.

these 2 reasons are why i believe he is challenging my guests for status related positions. i believe he is over excited with dogs and that's where the humping kicks in. this is why i chose excited/dominant as my two adjectives. i feel he's dominant with people and too excited with dogs.

the only other dog he will not show these behaviors with is a bull terrier that my father owns who let him suckle upon her when he was 8 weeks old. he views her as a second mother and shows her the respect she deserves. f.y.i.: she is as calm and submissive of a dog as it gets. she'll straight ignore the guy if he's out of control.

i won't even let him interact with a guest until he's finally calm. it's only a matter of seconds before it all goes downhill. i can only keep him calm for so long. i can own the house for 20 minutes then he'll just decide to get testy with whomever he pleases the minute my backs turned. i have scolded so many of my guests for getting him all jacked up with their high pitch voices and eye contact. NO ONE LISTENS!

i truly think he's waiting for my guests to act just like i do with him and the only people who do that are trainers and behaviorists. that still doesn't explain his attitude towards dogs which i do believe you are right, it has more to do with his excitement levels. he will submit if a dog checks him. but he will go right back to annoying the hell out of them (no manners!). he absolutely loves to socialize, it beats treats, tug toys, tennis balls and even BACON! so it's hard to keep him focused.

all in all i think he's so obsessed with status/dominance it's affecting our way of life (who knows, maybe i am the one who's obsessed!!!) i really probably need to hire another behaviorist to watch us while we work to see what i'm doing wrong. i don't think it's anything i can explain over the computer because i probably don't know that i'm doing it, right?

thank you all so much for your input, i love this friggin' place!

sorry for the novel

eddiewouldgo
Newborn Bully

Postby eddiewouldgo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:54 pm

nick, we have a 4 mile run together in the morning every day followed by 30-60 minute training session. we follow it up at night with a 1 hour walk then another 30 min training session. the dog has ridiculous stamina, drive and wit. it may be time to start schutzhund. here's a picture of when he was 6 months old... it's all i have http://imgur.com/Cm2oeOs

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Someone actually just shared this article on Facebook - I've read it before, but wasn't thinking of it, and didn't intend to shove it down anyone's throat, but I thought you might find it interesting:
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... s=FB040114

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:52 am

eddiewouldgo wrote:nick, we have a 4 mile run together in the morning every day followed by 30-60 minute training session. we follow it up at night with a 1 hour walk then another 30 min training session. the dog has ridiculous stamina, drive and wit. it may be time to start schutzhund. here's a picture of when he was 6 months old... it's all i have http://imgur.com/Cm2oeOs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aww he's very handsome. yes sounds like a lot of energy - when I think back to what Nick needed in his younger years exercise-wise I am happy I was in good shape then and younger lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”